bogies

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
rejrob

bogies

Postby rejrob » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 am

Hi all,Can anyone tell me please if hornby make any motor bo-bo type bogie with a 28 mm wheelbase cheers Ron

Bigmet

Re: bogies

Postby Bigmet » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:16 pm

That's a short wheelbase. Think you will need to look at the Tenshodo 'Spud' or the 'Black Beetle' ranges for a wheelbase dimension like that.

Obvious next question, what is it for: tube train, tram, very small short wheelbase shunter?

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi,as i mentioned elsewhere(Along time ago)i have a triang sydney sputnik 3 car unit.Although it is 00 gauge the actual coach size is virtually HO gauge so i am altering it.Our son is bringing over the correct underfloor and interior parts from Sydney.The large torpedo vents are already done (0 gauge are right) and I have now ordered the trailer and dummy power bogies from Gaugemaster(Walthers cornerstone) Visible alterations(From picci,s I have) to the bodies also done.A contact here has another 3 car unit but not in original form although the trailer car is Okay.This will be the fourth car of the first set and the other 2 power cars(only one powered) will have 2 double deck cars put in the middle.Except on one part of the Sydney system they ran as 8 car units which ,due to their length may just be possible.All the bogies are 8ft wheelbase so for HO 28mm .All the best Ron

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi Ron I know they are more expensive but Black Beetle and Tenshodo spud are definitely better mechanisms than the Hornby/Triang Hornby/Triang types, and available in the correct wheelbase and diameter for H0. I have a Tenshodo spud fitted into the cosmetic bogie frame of a twenty year old Horby class 110 three car set. It behaves beautifully, smooth starts, no hiccups and just the slightest low-pitched hum as it pulls away. If you want to run an 8 car formation I'd go for 2 powered cars. Depending on rolling resistance and any gradients you would be asking rather a lot of such a small motor to pull 8.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:33 am

rejrob wrote:.........Except on one part of the Sydney system they ran as 8 car units which ,due to their length may just be possible.All the bogies are 8ft wheelbase so for HO 28mm .All the best Ron

Ron,
just to clarify, the suburbans ('red rattlers') ran 8-car sets during the week, but on weekends - Sunday (off peak), 4-car sets were used on the Illawarra line to Cronulla. Four car sets were used on other services during the week, but as I only used the Cronulla/City Circle line I cannot provide other comment. I well remember my New Zealand made red rattlers - alas, pieces of rubbish. A Tenshodo would be a worthwhile modification to the power car. You are correct, the torpedo vents were huge. In the days when one could travel with the car doors open, my favourite position in the car was next to the open doorway in the vestibule with the wind in my face. Those cars could get very hot and crowded. The introduction of the Tangara at least brought air conditioning to the network. Of cause the interurbans (spuds?) had air con but were not part of the city suburban network.

Tim

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:30 am

Guessing that 'rejrob' is in Oz then, worth looking at the home team in the form of the 'Bullant' product too. Very comprehensive range of options listed. I'd give you a link to 'Hollywood Foundry' but the site appears to be down at present; hopefully not a permanent problem.

GWR_fan wrote:...In the days when one could travel with the car doors open, my favourite position in the car was next to the open doorway in the vestibule with the wind in my face. Those cars could get very hot and crowded...

You should only have sampled the last of BR's slam door compartment stock in suburban service. On these the door bottoms rusted out as they got older, and some quirk of design meant that a jet of air blew right up your trouser leg if you sat facing direction of travel next to the door. Not too bad during the two to three weeks of warm weather which is the UK summer, but on a cold winter day it was like being in a blast chiller (and if boarding the train at an intermediate stop, the less exposed seats would usually already be occupied).

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:08 am

Hi Bigmet.Honest not in Oz but in seaford east sussex(Zimmer city) Our boy is in oz hence the interest There is a slope and you are perfectly right it will need two power bogies.Just looking at some history of them and there was one part of the system with quite a gradient which prevented 8 car units but as the Sputniks were electrically operated door systems they could not be coupled to the older Tulluch units which had manual door systems.I assume both Tenshodo and black beetle have lugs to fit side frames to Thanks for the info Ron

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”