Hornby SR Maunsell coaches

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby SR Maunsell coaches

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:08 am

I had long given up on finding any SR olive green Maunsell first class coaches and was despairing that the toffs were forced to travel with the riff-raff in the third class coaches on the railway. Then to my surprise, KJB Models had two available in mint/unused condition. This morning I emailed them for a combined postage cost on both cars and immediately received a friendly response. Given that UK local time was around midnight I was pleasantly surprised with the speedy reply. That said, the deal was made and I now have some mint first class cars on the way to grace the line.

Tim

Bigglesof266

Re: Hornby SR Maunsell coaches

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Splendid Tim. One can never have too many Maunsells in that livery.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:53 pm

They are very nice coaches indeed, a good job you managed to get hold of what you were after. I have a nice 5-coach rake which will eventually get three of the Birdcage coaches added to them when they are released!
Just have to be careful with the door handles and grab rails as they can damage easily I find - especially if they are frequently in transportation when I take them to the club to run.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Thankyou both, I am very pleased to find the cars as they seemed to be non-existent. The most fragile part I have found are those footboards mounted to the bogies sideframes. Perhaps a plastic rerailer may be a wise purchase when placing these cars on the track. I have my eye on a composite coach that may find its way to me as well.

Tim

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:15 pm

You're right about the footboards Tim. I have a rake of five plus one from the Imperial Airways set. I've fitted them all with Kaydees - makes un/coupling so much easier and avoids some of the handling. I'd like a couple more [thirds] but, hens' teeth.......

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Tony,
you may remember that I had to purchase two '1938 Suburban' sets to get my third class coaches. Given that an olive green Maunsell is around GBP30.00 - 35.00 each, then purchasing the still available Suburban pack is probably a reasonable investment. I did find a UK dealer who had the add-on Suburban pack for a reasonable amount, but it seems that his postage limit did not extend beyond the UK shoreline.

I have had better luck downunder with a mint newer tooling olive green utility bogie van for GBP12.00 and an eBay listing of the Maunsell 'C' van and a Maunsell olive green brake third coach that went for a song with little to no counter bidding.

Tim

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:07 am

I am after an Open Third for mine which are not easy to find either. Fortunately there is a re-release on its way soon I believe.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 am

PeterH wrote:............ Fortunately there is a re-release on its way soon I believe.

Peter,
let us hope so, although I am concerned that there are still a lot of Maunsells in other liveries to be had and possibly Hornby may be a little wary releasing more coaches on the market (even if it is a livery that is in demand).

Tim

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 am

Have just noticed that there are a whole load of olive Maunsells on eBay [UK] at the moment - most of the numbers and types, all for £30 [or best offer] with £4 p&p.

Tony.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Tony,
I just looked searching under "Hornby SR olive green Maunsell" and returned one return for a composite brake coach from KJB Models. The rest were Southern malachite livery.

Tim

RFS

Postby RFS » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:48 pm

GWR_fan wrote:Tony,
I just looked searching under "Hornby SR olive green Maunsell" and returned one return for a composite brake coach from KJB Models. The rest were Southern malachite livery.

Tim

Few sellers put "olive green" in their title, so if you just scan on "Hornby SR Maunsell" you'll see them all in amongst the others.
Robert Smith

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:54 am

GWR_fan wrote:The most fragile part I have found are those footboards mounted to the bogies sideframes.

When you re-attach them, use Weldbond instead of CA Tim. It'll glue plastic to plastic, dries clear, doesn't fog or affect the surface sheen providing a strong bond yet retaining flexibility against inadvertent handling contact. Its beauty is that if you have to reattach more than once, you can remove the old glue without also removing some of the plastic surface to surface contact materials which you can't with CA. Any excess can also be removed with ease when wet, and with a care and perseverance, without damaging the surface finish even when dry. I'm pretty sure Pacer Canopy glue is just this stuff rebadged in a value added bottle.

Perhaps a plastic rerailer.

I bought one of these (Peco SL-37) early in the piece upon my venture into model railways Tim. Along with a Markits OO brass wheel gauge and Loco Servicing Cradle (Peco PL-70) It remains one of the most frequently used items in my inventory. If seemingly an overpriced piece of foam nicely packaged, it is nevertheless an inexpensive RTG item whose usefulness has paid for itself many times over in performing maintenance, saving damage, and the much frustration and logistical nightmare repairing or obtaining replacement parts potentially arising therefrom. Both of those Peco items are mandatory with anything contemporary considered a high detail item with all those finicky bits. Highly recommended.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:23 am

Keiron,
many thanks. Is Weldbond available in Australia? From memory I used a good quality styrene glue to reattach the footboards to the sideframes. Thankfully as yet Hornby do not use Delron for the bogies or reattachment would be nigh well impossible.

Tim

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:24 am

RFS wrote:............

Few sellers put "olive green" in their title, so if you just scan on "Hornby SR Maunsell" you'll see them all in amongst the others.

Thankyou, I found a couple hidden amongst the malachite Southern livery cars.

Tim

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:54 am

Re Weldbond glue.

Amazingly you can still conveniently obtain Weldbond from Bunnings. Although they've deleted most alternative brand choice heavily in favour of Selleys' products, it's still available from most Bunnings in at least two sizes, sometimes three. Current stock will probably be in the old presentation package as depicted in the link provided. A little goes a long way, so the smallest bottle with nozzle is generally volume sufficient for years for our use. It's also the perfect glue for assembly of card buildings.

Offhand IDK where you'd buy one of these in AU today, but this is what I use in conjunction with it for almost every task including assembly of card buildings from Scalescenes, Metcalfe & Superquick. I've had mine for over 20 years now and it's invaluable. Amazingly, the rubber plunger seal is still in usable condition after all that time.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”