Ex-LNER teak conversion

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Adi.p

Ex-LNER teak conversion

Post by Adi.p »

I have a couple of old Hornby teak coaches (now in the railroad range) all with LNER lettering. I recently found out that British railways in their early years ran these coaches in their teak livery as ex-LNER coaches. As my layout is set in the 1950s this is a good opportunity to run these teaks prototypically. My query is if BR renumbered these teaks and changed the lettering on the body sides while they were still in teak because if they did I will have to source carriage numbers and get some decals. If they left the numbers and lettering from LNER days then I would not have to change them. Does anyone know or have any photos of what happened lettering and number-wise to these teaks in early BR days?

Thanks in advance
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species
Bigmet

Re: Ex-LNER teak conversion

Post by Bigmet »

The LNER designation was quickly removed by BR. Teak had gone as a livery on mainline gangwayed stock by about end 1952. A few teak or brown ex-LNER non-gangwayed coaches hung on in service to 1956 at the latest - mostly on minor branch lines - until scrapped without ever getting repainted by BR.

All BR's coaches were renumbered in the format 'owning region letter(s)' new number (typically the company number with an extra leading numeral) 'servicing region letter'. Because the LNER's coaches were initially distributed over three regions, Eastern, North-Eastern and Scottish, but the maintenance was an Eastern responsibility then you could see them ExxxxxE, NExxxxxE, ScRxxxxxE. Later on in BR, but long after teak had disappeared under BR's paint they got still more widely dispersed, W9135E being an example still running as a Western Region allocated vehicle in the 1970s in blue and grey.
steviesparx

Post by steviesparx »

There were two included in the Hornby 1948 Olympics train pack, I just sold them on Ebay...

The 3rd class composite was numbered E1435, the Guard / Brake was numbered E24387
Adi.p

Post by Adi.p »

Thanks bigmet and stevie, looks like I will have to break out the transfers. I may even repaint some of them to extend their operating limit to about the late 1960's in maroon.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

If you buy/watch the movie 'Inn of the Sixth Happiness' there are still ex LNER teak mainline coaches still in 'teak' in use at Liverpool St, in the 1956-57 era, I think the movie was released 1958/59.

I can also remember Gresley repainted teak Buffets on the Cambridge Buffets into the 1973/4 time frame, and still running were Gresley and Thompson full brakes and even Thompson 6 wheeler parcels stock.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
b308

Post by b308 »

I can remember a teak buffet car running on the Man Picc to Sheffield Victoria run behind the E27000 electrics in Blue/Grey in the late 60s early 70s if that's ant help. I assume that before that colour it would have been maroon?
Adi.p

Post by Adi.p »

I've converted a few and my mind is at rest that they are fairly prototypical,
Thanks again