B17 Sandringhams and Footballers

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Bigmet

B17 Sandringhams and Footballers

Postby Bigmet » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 am

Seems we don't have an individual thread for this model. Was it 2010 that this model was announced for renewal from its previous tender drive incarnation? Finally, finally, I have one of the Sandringham type, with the short GER style tender they were equipped with to enable operation over the ex-GER routes. (R2921X 'Thorpe Hall') I missed out on the first releases of these locos, didn't order and 'whoosh' they were gone like the dew off the grass.

Having already bought examples of the Hornby B1, L1 and O1 I was doubly interested in this model, to see whether this newly produced version still matched up to their all around decent quality, as the first release of the B17s clearly did. This is good news time, it is made in exactly the same style, and came out of the box looking fine and running well mechanically when tested with Hornby's decoder removed. (The Hornby decoder actually limited performance compared to straight DC from a resistance controller, reducing smoothness at slow speed! It has a Lenz Standard now and is running beautifully.)

It has the traction to take away a dozen coaches on level track, but proved a little light for my operating requirements which include a reliable full load restart on the long gradients. Plenty roomy for extra weight despite the 'feature' of an awkward ballast block at the front of the boiler which has defied removal. It didn't need to come out to get enough weight in, but if anyone has managed to remove it do post the 'how to' please. (For once I decided not to risk the fine detail and finish wrestling this ballast out.)

Altogether well pleased with it, and doubly so in that this model already tooled pre the 'design clever' announcement is still being manufactured in Hornby's earlier 'design better' style.

alex3410

Re: B17 Sandringhams and Footballers

Postby alex3410 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 am

I got the special edition from Hornby magazine ‘B17/6’ 61662 Manchester United in BR lined green with late crests - weathered for Christmas and love it! i followed the guide in the magazine a few months before and fitted sound as well stunning loco :D

markeg

Postby markeg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:49 am

Hi,
Excellent model. I had a tender drive LNER Manchester United model, which I fitted extra pickups too which helped in smoother and slower running on DC. When Hornby announced the new model I was hoping for a model of my team 'Liverpool in LNER apple/doncaster green.'
But it wasn't to be. So I ordered both the LNER version and the BR version 'Grimsby Town' to convert to 'Liverpool.' I ordered some decals and nameplates and now I have Liverpool in BR green.
I have 4 DCC sound locos, A4, 01, Deltic and a Merchant Navy. My outer track including sidings can be switched from DC to DCC. Both B17's run very well.

Mark in OZ

6C

Postby 6C » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Yes Alex - tis a lovely job and captures well the elegance of the B17 with its large driving wheels and Gresley cab. :mrgreen:

Have to admit I much prefer Mark's choice of name though - living @6 miles from Anfield and being an LFC fan (not a lunatic one though) - so I could not bring myself to buy anything with ManU associations.....

Trying to find a reason to get one as they are on my wishlist - I believe they did work from Liverpool Central on Harwich boat trains at one point, so..... :shock: :P
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

sishades

Postby sishades » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:28 am

I too could never buy a loco with any football name except "Leicester City". Afterall an engine is designed to go forwards not backwards!!
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

6C

Postby 6C » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Any piccies chaps ?? - I seem to have seen mainly the pre-production samples......
Pete

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:17 pm

the only image i have to hand is not overly useful:

not easy to see the detail with it running past in a flash :lol: I will try to take some more if i go in the loft tonight

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Hattons usual selection. http://www.ehattons.com/32132/Hornby_R2 ... etail.aspx

Very well done all around in my view.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:20 pm

I made a video a few months ago of the class leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nCRbA5rTuw

It is a fabulous model. Hornby did an excellent job on it.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:26 pm

A few quick snaps

6C

Postby 6C » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:18 am

Thanks for the pics and vids - a truly elegant loco - and dignified even when weathered :wink:

Harwich Parkeston Quay - Liverpool - ummmmm!
Pete

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:31 pm

6C wrote:Any piccies chaps ?? - I seem to have seen mainly the pre-production samples......

And here is the LNER green version:

Regards,
Gavin

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”