Duke of Gloucester

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Re: Duke of Gloucester

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 am

I find it odd that Hornby place more emphasis on a speedometer drive on their Railroad model than attempting to 'visually' link the drive wheel to the Caprotti valve gear representation as on the more expensive model. Maybe just manufacturer images but the Railroad version appears a different colour/shade to the more expensive model. Perhaps the Railroad version is self coloured plastic and not actually painted.

Tim

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:57 pm

I cant for the life of me understand why any manufacturer would want to make a model of a one off loco when there are hundreds of other classes pleading to be made, are these manufacturers so hooked on express locos that thats all they can produce ?, when the things running around the track it pretty much looks like a Britania, another loco that has been done to death.

I am not aginst Britania's or the Duke of Gloucester, both are great locos but I just wish manufacturers would use their imagination a little more, on that note how about giving the A3s and A4s a miss for 10 years or so and make something different.
Regards
Nobby

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:40 pm

sparkhill wrote:I cant for the life of me understand why any manufacturer would want to make a model of a one off loco when there are hundreds of other classes pleading to be made

I can't disagree with the sentiment, but it's big, shiny, has a name and is still around for people younger than 50 to be familiar with it. Therefore it will sell. Same with the A3s and A4s.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:46 pm

sparkhill wrote:I cant for the life of me understand why any manufacturer would want to make a model of a one off loco when there are hundreds of other classes pleading to be made, are these manufacturers so hooked on express locos that thats all they can produce ?, when the things running around the track it pretty much looks like a Britania, another loco that has been done to death...............

Fifty plus years ago I spent many an enjoyable hour drooling over a big Triang 4-6-2 express locomotive pictured in an early catalogue. The loco to me was the epitome of what a locomotive should be. I never did purchase that model but have always felt that a railway is not complete without at least one big express locomotive. Prototype railways also used their express locomotives (and speed attained) to promote patronage on their line. It is simply human nature and manufacturers know that.

Tim

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:35 am

Following review link for the set box locomotive. It seems the loco in the set box is an intermediary detail level between the base Railroad model and the more expensive 'high detail' model. I feel the axle sideplay is excessive to cater for small radius curves. 2.50 minutes into the video the loco has been stopped after being reversed. The loco is static with a very pronounced 'crabbing' on the rails and does look unsightly. The loco does look impressive and seems to run quite well. The reviewer also looks at the new release Mk1 coaches and I must admit they do look very nice to me (pity as I do have more than enough Top Link and Bachmann Mk1 cars and really do not need any more).

Power pickup is on the six driving wheels only per Bachmann standard practice. In the review the state of cleanliness of the track seems to play havoc with the running quality of the loco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3UPHo4P9yg

Tim

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:38 am

What Hornby's designer has forgotten is that six all flanged wheels linked by a one piece coupling rod spells trouble for pick up. Any slightly high dead frog on a point, or dirt on the track, can lift all wheels that side clear of the rails. Need to reinstate the two piece coupling rods...

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:11 pm

Until the loco has suffered a lot of wear then I assume it will be a very rigid chassis. A degree of compensation would have been a clever design but of cause would have increased production costs. I feel the primary intent of the loco is for little boys and train set boxes. When one looks at the price of the high detail version then it puts the loco in direct competition with much better designed models from Bachmann. Of cause Bachmann do not make an '8P', but that is no excuse for Hornby to dumb down the design to maximise financial return.

Let us hope that Hornby have designed a little compensation into the P2, as a rigid four-coupled axle drive will be a test of how good our railways are laid.

Tim

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:28 pm

GWR_fan wrote:... It seems the loco in the set box is an intermediary detail level between the base Railroad model and the more expensive 'high detail' model.

And folk talk in hopeful terms of them simplifying their ranges...

NickB

Postby NickB » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:20 pm

As a couple of you have said you have purchased one of these, my one arrived in the post today and the smoke deflectors are not quite in line with the boiler, slightly toeing out at the front. When Hornby mag did their review, theirs was the same, are any of yours like that or have I got a raspberry? By the way, my Britannia knocks spots off this model, slightly disappointed if i'm honest....

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 am

I brought mine a few weeks ago... I did a review on it straight out the box R3168 - Railroad model.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY7t9RO2 ... hveIq_7r8g

Looking at the models side by side, they have used the same chassis on both (Cost cutting make one that fits the other) and also the body tooling is the same on both models apart from the smoke deflectors on the Special edition model... again cost cutting £150 - 200 k for a tooling.
There has been issues with the chassis's high wear due to no bearings, also as has been raised, a lot of side play makes sure you bend the rod to the cylinder out wards, several models have had the crank pin hit the connection rod... and yes one broken loco.
Chassis is very rigid... not great for rough track work.
My first impression was the wishy washy paint on both models the green and the red... very poor, Hornbys printing is also not as good.
Cab detail nicely moulded but unpainted on both models... would of expected the Special to have it painted...

Its a cheap model.... built cheaply and then a few extra bits painted... and slap in a detail pack and some not so etched plates (Brass plate with a transfer on) add an extra £30 - 40 on... win win...

Until someone does this :)

NickB

Postby NickB » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:43 am

My one is the special edition, so I expected it to be a bit better than it is, your one looks great, I'm waiting for a reply from my supplier to hopefully get it looked at or changed altogether. Although failing that, i'll fork out for some better deflectors, sort the running gear meself and just hang onto it.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:25 am

It would seem that Hornby is doing beta testing in the marketplace rather than product development prior release. Surely, more than a few chassis have been tested prior release and the shortcomings sorted. Perhaps however, I am just wishfully thinking.

I note from Matt's video link above pthat Hornby's DOG chassis makes the same irritating noise as a GWR large tank loco shown on You-tube a few months ago. Axles running in square cutouts does not make a decent drive. This method was tried around fifty years ago and should never have been considered for a current locomotive drive. Another loco off my shopping list.

Tim

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 am

I don't know who said it had square cut outs for the axles on the chassis... as it doesn't.
The axle holder is cut in to the chassis with a rounded top to match the axle, the ends are square which you can see on this thread on another forum:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?%2Fblog%2F880%2Fentry-13040-an-%E2%80%98after-christmas-present%E2%80%99-%E2%80%93-hornby-duke-of-gloucester%2F .... not sure where someone got that from.

Motor is similar to one you would find in the 0-4-0 locos Hornby do with a flywheel on the end or a long life 5 pole motor as it's stated in the instructions, sadly that's what they have decided to use in most recent models

I would have edited my above post with another video uploaded last night but looks like we have one of those daft time things if where you can't edit after 15 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE-uBb-T0pY

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:15 pm

GWR_fan wrote:... It seems the loco in the set box is an intermediary detail level between the base Railroad model and the more expensive 'high detail' model.

Not doubting you Tim, but according to this the 'intermediate' level doesnt exist:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70245-decorated-samples-of-the-duke-of-gloucester/?p=1308095

Confused? You will be... :wink:

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”