Hornby R1172 E-Link Majestic Train set

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby R1172 E-Link Majestic Train set

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:03 am

I had high hopes for this set thinking it would open up the order books for Hornby, but it seems to be all rehashed Railroad items with nothing 'high detail' to whet the appetite.

Definately aimed at the socially upmarket newcomer Christmas market to ensnare some new railway modellers to the fold. There seems nothing of interest for the seasoned modeller.

Tim

TK421

Re: Hornby R1172 E-Link Majestic Train set

Postby TK421 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:25 am

when Hornby announced this set I was very unimpressed, an a1 loco that never made it into preservation alongside a class 47 with a handful of p/o wagons. It seemed to me no thought went into this set whatsoever.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:41 am

I remember when the set was announced thinking why team an early BR crest with an RES livery class 47 with out of character four wheel rolling stock. For the price the very minimum would be a high detail A3 and high detail Gresley coaches. The class 47 is just the Northern Belle type ex-Hornby ringfield drive and not the better Lima version. Everything is cheap and marketted towards a computer savvy young budding modeller with little or no modelling experience. No doubt adults will buy for their own use but in reality they could most likely purchase items piecemeal for less, plus be a little more selective in their choice.

Tim

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:47 am

You are missing the point. Trainsets are intended for starters not for "professional or serious modellers " like what we are "supposed " to be. A lot of people would not know of the errors and probably could not care less. The reason being they have a train set and are ENJOYING it without some clever clogs pointing out the errors.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 pm

It is not a matter of "pointing out the errors", but getting an insight into how Hornby views its market. I suggest that more adult modellers will be purchasing this set than younger people given the relatively high price of the set.

It is intended as an entry level 'computer' controlled set to entice computer savvy 'modellers' away from their Playstations and Xboxes but it defines its customer base as a relatively uninformed hobbyist who will be dazzled by the sheer enormity of the set.

I consider the set overpriced and not reflecting value for money. As an entry level set it should provide value just to ensnare the hobbyist and then let him extend his railway with full price after Christmas purchases to supplement his railway.

I can see these sets being broken down and sold piecemeal over the next few months. The sheer weight and bulk will discourage online sales restricting such sales to high street outlets. Another Olympics fiasco.

Tim

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:12 pm

GWR_fan wrote:It is not a matter of "pointing out the errors", but getting an insight into how Hornby views its market. I suggest that more adult modellers will be purchasing this set than younger people given the relatively high price of the set.

It is intended as an entry level 'computer' controlled set to entice computer savvy 'modellers' away from their Playstations and Xboxes but it defines its customer base as a relatively uninformed hobbyist who will be dazzled by the sheer enormity of the set.

I consider the set overpriced and not reflecting value for money. As an entry level set it should provide value just to ensnare the hobbyist and then let him extend his railway with full price after Christmas purchases to supplement his railway.

I can see these sets being broken down and sold piecemeal over the next few months. The sheer weight and bulk will discourage online sales restricting such sales to high street outlets. Another Olympics fiasco.

Tim

Sets are nearly always broken down by some retailers as there is more profit to be made that way. As for trying to sus how Hornby views its market I think you will find they know probably better than we do.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:42 am

Hornby haven't a clue about knowing the market. The Olympics proved that. They could have made this set so much better and desirable at no cost to them selves.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:34 am

Agreed for the price it's a poor show, a few years ago you could get the premier set for about the same price and it was a lot better quality with super detailed loco and coaches. If you going to pay that much for a train set then you probably know what you want to model and don't want a set that has incorrect stock for your era. This set is poorly thought out and it's poor marketing, it can't be argued that a newbie won't care what's in the box, look at bachmann's sets all of which contain the correct items for their intended era.

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:36 am

I too had high hopes for this set, and after the lengthy delays in getting it I was very disapponted at the lack of quality. And the ringfield motor! Why do those still exist?

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:47 am

D605Eagle wrote:Hornby haven't a clue about knowing the market. The Olympics proved that. They could have made this set so much better and desirable at no cost to them selves.

Again I state my point Hornby do know the market. To put a top end loco and coaches in this set would have increased the price dramatically. I do like these threads when the "experts" know better------ or so they think :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

TK421

Postby TK421 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:43 pm

trainlover23 wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:Hornby haven't a clue about knowing the market. The Olympics proved that. They could have made this set so much better and desirable at no cost to them selves.

Again I state my point Hornby do know the market. To put a top end loco and coaches in this set would have increased the price dramatically. I do like these threads when the "experts" know better------ or so they think :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

If that is the case then why did Hornby themselves admit that their loos on profits where due to there Olympic merchandise? No one here claims to be an expert (although your accusation would come across that you on the other side of the argument are) but who knows what the market wants more the consumer demanding the product or the company producing the wrong one? Would you pay £400 for this set?

As for the experts comment I do recall yourself question the methods of working during the lineside fire on the kemble line, when you had little expertise on the matter yourself, pot, kettle and black come to mind.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Ah forums

Old Man Phil

Postby Old Man Phil » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Well, after viewing the Contents of this 'set' I must say it is the most stupid combination of steam and diesel that I have ever seen. Nobody, but nobody, in their right mind would ever link these two together considering there is 40 years difference between the times when they were running. What are/were Hornby thinking? Who came up with this brilliant idea? The Tea Lady, because she liked the colours? Zero Points for common sense Hornby.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm inclined to agree. For £340 [Hattons] I'd have expected the better Gresleys at least. But therein probably lies a hint - more robust coaches aimed at a less discriminating and probably far younger market.

As for the inconsistency in era, that's been pointed out already.

However, I'm loathe to sign up to a general Hornby-bash for this alone: their market is staggeringly diverse in terms of both customers' desires and wallets and I'm constantly amazed by just how irrationally extreme some modeller's views are about this manufacturer [no criticism intended to any of the above]. I can well understand why they'd want to please as many as possible even if most of us heap scorn on this offering.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Lysander wrote:I'm inclined to agree. For £340 [Hattons] I'd have expected the better Gresleys at least. But therein probably lies a hint - more robust coaches aimed at a less discriminating and probably far younger market.

As for the inconsistency in era, that's been pointed out already.

However, I'm loathe to sign up to a general Hornby-bash for this alone: their market is staggeringly diverse in terms of both customers' desires and wallets and I'm constantly amazed by just how irrationally extreme some modeller's views are about this manufacturer [no criticism intended to any of the above]. I can well understand why they'd want to please as many as possible even if most of us heap scorn on this offering.

Tony

A well thought out and reasoned respnse sir

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”