Hornby 2014 speculation thread

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
D605Eagle

Hornby 2014 speculation thread

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:42 am

Well its that time of year again, so what do you think Hornby will announce for the coming year? More P2 versions? Something really off the curve? Discuss!

Alexander Court

Re: Hornby 2014 speculation thread

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:43 am

A series of missed delivery dates and a 2014 Hornby wagon? :P

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:32 am

I'd hit the like button if there was one ;)
I'v just noticed how many items announced for 1st quarter 2013 have still not been produced, not new items but reliveries. You'd have thought they would be easy to get knocked out.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:40 am

I have lost interest in waiting for it now but i am sure i read the BR A4 Bittern - Double Tender Special Edition was from 2012! yet its still not released :(

TK421

Postby TK421 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 am

If they could pull there finger out that would be a good start maybe even leave off the new products so they can catch up :lol:

If they must insist on getting our hopes up how about some decent tank engines a J50 for one. Tender wise A Claud Hamilton to go with their B17 would be nice or a footballer in LNER green or even a streamlined B17.

Maybe their 'I can't believe it's RTR' this year will be the Hush Hush or Big Bertha. Assuming they've decided that the DOG and the P2 have gone down a storm and this could be a yearly thing to release an unexpected one off loco.

Diesel wise I don't know where to go with that, the market is so well catered I'd imagine the manufacture's must be looking at all the various industrial diesels now, it didn't stop hornby last year. But I don't think an upgraded class 59 would go amiss.

I'd like to see some older prototype of coaches appear but that all goes down to what sells, some nice articulated streamline coaches to go behind an A4 would be nice.

And if anything electric is going to get a look in isn't it about time the class 91 was beefed up and the MK4's.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:01 am

Hopefulluy there will be NO new announcements from Hornby for next year and it will be used as a period of catch up. Bachmann did this in 1997/1998 I think it was and it worked. Then in 2015 annouce a programme that is sustainable and can be delivered on time. I for one am a little tired of long and tedious wish lists which bear little or resemblance to what actually comes out

markeg

Postby markeg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:57 am

I think its all good fun speculating what the r-t-r manufacturers could produce.

It also gives us, the punters, buyers a voice. And I think the manufacturers do look at these lists. We will see next march-April another wish list poll.

I think Hornby should do a decent small tank engine, a LNER/BR J50 would be good. A small tender engine would be good too. Namely the LNER/BR J15 060. There is one preserved, will sell like hotcakes and the ability to do different liveries from GER, LNER, BR and preserved. The Bachmann SECR C class sold out in a couple of weeks and commands high prices on ebay when they come up. I certainly won't be selling mine.

Though I would prefer the NER/LNER/BR J21 to J25. As this is my chosen area of modelling, though not strict about it.
Also a NER/LNER/BR G5 044T, would save me having to build one next year. The M7 is very similar.

My leanings are towards the LNER/BR eastern Region as you can see.
Thats about it for me.
Mark in OZ

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:31 pm

The very mixed picture this year breaks down as doing reasonably well on all new product (presumably sourced from their new contract suppliers) but re-releases / livery changes / new name and number versions of earlier product, have all been badly delayed / limited quantity / not produced. There has not been much in the way of explanation. Is it Hornby failing to get the orders in on the factory concerned, or problems in China at the factory, or a bit of both?

As such I can see more 'all new' announcements, with a fair chance of these appearing in 2014; but they might be wise to list both cancellations and a revised schedule for all the previously announced existing product variants before adding any more to the list, simply to help their credibility.

What sort of all new? Big named express type anyone? Air smoothed MN's an obvious choice. (Probably too early for the later streamlined P2, wait for the original version to have been on sale a couple of years.) A multiple unit of some sort? An interesting older steam loco like the Star? Follow the LNER non-gangwayed coaches with LMS designs? Presumably a couple of wagons, but their logic in making choices is unfathomable, so not even guessing. :D

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:26 pm

PRE GROUPING!!! :evil: would love to see some coaching stock and a better variety of locos for, well, all regions really, particularly the south west, just started poking around in that region and there seems to be very few, especially coaches. Oh and reasonable prices please, I'm only 14 :D
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 pm

It is about time there was some up to date GWR coaching stock. Another few batches of their Castle in GWR livery would be nice as well. I wonder if an original MN is around the corner...
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:21 pm

I am aware that there is some southern items on there, having been told, but won't spoil it for everyone :D
find out on December 16th.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:47 pm

With many items delayed, 2014 should be the year Hornby takes a long hard look at its inventory. Perhaps now is the time to sort out their range and put their older heritage items (along with their Lima retools) into a true Railroad range and adjust the pricing accordingly. The better tooled prestige models could then be marketted as standalone upmarket models, not held back by their poorer Railroad cousins. Railroad could be left for cheap supermarket toy trainsets.

With a switch to a new supplier (India?) then perhaps previously announced reliveries will not happen. Typically, a Chinese manufacturer will own the tooling and contract out any manufacturing. Thus if any noses are out of joint in China then those reliveries may never happen.

I also would like to see some GWR coaching stock. The Hawkesworth was their first true coach to be produced. While basically acceptable the 1920's Colletts and Airfix derived Centenaries are merely shadows of the real coach. Perhaps some one could lend hornby a book on GWR coaching stock, so they could see that the Great Western used a multitude of coach designs. They upgraded their Southern, LMS and LNER coaching stock, so time for an upgraded assault on the GWR front.

As regards the P2, well there is not much choice without a complete retool. There only was P2/1 and P2/2 in that body style. The remainder had the 'bugatti' streamlining and a few short years later a new chassis numbering system. A 'hush-hush', maybe not. The boiler shape on that loco reminds me of a fat man sitting on a chair with his belly hanging over the side of the chair.

Perhaps a novel idea might be to make enough in a production run without the punter who misses out having to await a later production run (if ever?????). I can see the DOG and the P2 rushing out the door very, very quickly irrespective of their dubious (now defunct?) 'design clever' heritage. I have never preordered before but just maybe???????

Tim

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:03 pm

Indeed Hornby have had issues,

But I think for 2014 they have been working hard on it, although I am not the biggest fan of Hornby's decisions as of late, from clever design to its lateness on items. But this is all down to being kicked out of their factory, with production spread over 4 factories... so lets hope things are getting back on track with some items in 2014 range already tooled and some with engineering / pre production samples should be interesting to see if they can fix the issues.

They have tried India in the past I remember reading, I think it was the L1 or something else..

I would second a Hush hush.... but I like different looking locos something different. But I don't think we will ever see one of those unless they run out of locos to produce.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:16 am

mattmay05 wrote:I am aware that there is some southern items on there, having been told, but won't spoil it for everyone :D

Interesting as Bachmann seem to have been looking south again in the last couple of years. I wonder if it will be something obvious like a rebuilt MN or a Hornby curve ball and something like a Adams Radial tank (yes please!). I just hope that Hornby don't get that tread on Bachmanns toes again itch. They actually managed to avoid it last year for a change.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 am

D605Eagle wrote:
mattmay05 wrote:I am aware that there is some southern items on there, having been told, but won't spoil it for everyone :D

Interesting as Bachmann seem to have been looking south again in the last couple of years. I wonder if it will be something obvious like a rebuilt MN or a Hornby curve ball and something like a Adams Radial tank (yes please!). I just hope that Hornby don't get that tread on Bachmanns toes again itch. They actually managed to avoid it last year for a change.

Been led to believe that certain manufacturers have turned down the radial due to it being a difficult one to do or something, so I dunno about that, unrebuilt MN seems like it could be one they might do, a lot of other southern locos it could be too, might not be locos though, could be rolling stock like coaches or wagons :P

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”