Hornby clas 67

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Andrew-1976

Hornby clas 67

Postby Andrew-1976 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:23 am

Hornby really seems to be so hit and miss with the quality of their products. Last week i bought a few locos. One was a Hornby class 50 network southeast super detail (weathered) which is a really fantastic model.
At the same time i added a class 67 EWS to my expanding fleet of EWS locos. This one just seems, well very poor to be honest. close inspection reveals poor quality control on the cosmetics and i really should not have to take apart a brand new loco to get my directional lighting working and to get it to run nicely.If i had paid £50 this might be acceptable but I would have expected a bit more for a model costing just short of £100.
Until now i had not bought an Hornby loco for years simply because they did not seem on a par with other manufacturers offerings , instead buying bachmann, Heljan, VI and Dapol which all retail cheaper as well. However after seeing some of Hornby's newer models i really thought they had improved and whilst i am overjoyed with my class 50 i really can see myself avoiding Hornby again in the future.

Roger (RJ)

Re: Hornby clas 67

Postby Roger (RJ) » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Andrew-1976 wrote:Hornby really seems to be so hit and miss with the quality of their products. Last week i bought a few locos. One was a Hornby class 50 network southeast super detail (weathered) which is a really fantastic model.
I agree, the 50s are great models, as are the 31s and 60s which are new tooling. I have a feeling that the 67 is old tooling.

Andrew-1976 wrote:At the same time i added a class 67 EWS to my expanding fleet of EWS locos. This one just seems, well very poor to be honest. close inspection reveals poor quality control on the cosmetics and i really should not have to take apart a brand new loco to get my directional lighting working and to get it to run nicely.
You don't have to take it apart. Just take it back to where you bought it for repair, replacement or refund.

Andrew-1976 wrote:If i had paid £50 this might be acceptable but I would have expected a bit more for a model costing just short of £100.
Until now i had not bought an Hornby loco for years simply because they did not seem on a par with other manufacturers offerings , instead buying bachmann, Heljan, VI and Dapol which all retail cheaper as well. However after seeing some of Hornby's newer models i really thought they had improved and whilst i am overjoyed with my class 50 i really can see myself avoiding Hornby again in the future.
That's sad, there are some great models available but you have to do your research before buying, whether it's Hornby or any other make. Other makers also have "dogs" which should be avoided.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Hornby have such a large 'legacy' in their range you have to be careful. Is your 67 the Lima tooled, Hornby rehash, that the dealer had as 'new' on the shelf; or the all new tooling relatively recently released? Nothing wrong with a dealer having an item from years ago on the shelf as 'new' if it genuinely is so, as in never previously sold; a classic case of 'caveat emptor'. Seen people get caught this way buying a Bachmann split chassis loco which had recently been upgraded to a version with a new chassis. You just have to know what you are buying...

Andrew-1976

Postby Andrew-1976 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Bigmet wrote:Hornby have such a large 'legacy' in their range you have to be careful. Is your 67 the Lima tooled, Hornby rehash, that the dealer had as 'new' on the shelf; or the all new tooling relatively recently released? Nothing wrong with a dealer having an item from years ago on the shelf as 'new' if it genuinely is so, as in never previously sold; a classic case of 'caveat emptor'. Seen people get caught this way buying a Bachmann split chassis loco which had recently been upgraded to a version with a new chassis. You just have to know what you are buying...

Hi Thanks for both replies.

I will give the other Hornbys you mention a look as you recommend Roger and i agree that some other manufacturers also have "dogs". I think it was more the price tag as you don't mind compromise on a £50 model but on a £100 model you expect a decent loco. It was evening time and i had to take the top off to chip it and the thought of another round trip to the dealer put me off going back which is probably the reason we get sold stuff in this state because we are too willing to repair it. It was just little things like the wires not making proper connection with the clips or the board but still not good QC :)
I will take some comfort from your advice and i think you are right, i should not judge them on this one model and i will just be a bit more cautious next time.

I think Bigmet that mine is the new tooling. It was in the new style packaging and the retailer tells me it is the latest release. It is the one with the see through vents on the body so don't think its the old moulding. You are right though its easy to get caught out. I tend to know what i am doing with Bachmann but Hornby stuff is a bit of a unknown for me

martin_l_jones

Postby martin_l_jones » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Have a look on the Rail Exclusive web site to see the issues that go back a few months now..

Cosmetics being one of the significant issues...

http://www.railexclusive.com/index.php?category=132
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/

Andrew-1976

Postby Andrew-1976 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:39 pm

martin_l_jones wrote:Have a look on the Rail Exclusive web site to see the issues that go back a few months now..

Cosmetics being one of the significant issues...

http://www.railexclusive.com/index.php?category=132

Cheers martin. I had a look at that and it seems that whilst mine is thankfully nowhere near as bad as some i might be a victim of this. Never mind. I have grown to like the loco so it will be a keeper.

On the brighter side i did pluck up courage to buy Hornbys EWS class 08 shunter this weekend, the super detail one and found it to be very nice , certainly on a level with my super detail class 50. Just seems a shame that the 67 is a bit poor in comparison. I mean i have an Hornby EWS 59 which is an old moulding and is nowhere near as detailed as later stuff but it costs buttons to buy so you accept that but with the 67 it is a close to £100 loco and should be better quality. Never mind Happy Days :)

martin_l_jones

Postby martin_l_jones » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Andrew, I had two Wrexham & Shropshire and two DB Shenker locos before I got a decent one, both came from Rail Express, Jamie checked them before they were shipped.

I told her I hope she didn't feel I was being pedantic but I reminded her of how much they were.

To be honest if your not happy like I was then send it back, you will regret it, as you say £100, should be perfect really.
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/

Andrew-1976

Postby Andrew-1976 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:28 am

Hi Martin,
I emailed Hornby on Wednesday. I made it a nice email saying how much i loved their super detail 50 and 08 which i had bought but then went on to add my disappointment at some of the finish on my 67 and the fact there was no detailing pack in the box. I also mentioned the very poor traction in the 59 which appears to be a known problem.
I am waiting for a reply. Maybe if i am lucky they might send me a detailing pack for my 67. Failing that i will just buy one off the net.
I suppose all manufacturers have issues. I remember buying a class 20 bachmann which had a missing wiper and when i emailed bachmann about a replacement wiper they were unable to help as they carried no spares.

I will let you know how i get on

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:16 pm

So far I have been lucky with my duo of Hornby Class 67's as both turned out okay. I will get the EWS version once they have sorted out the grammar problem with the "railwa" which is supposed to be "railway" and I expect better on a premium model. But from my experiences, Hornby is very much a hit and a miss with various models. I have 18 Hornby Class 60's and I have not had a problem with any of them. Same with the trio of Class 50's I had, lovely models and I am certain you wouldn't be disappointed with the Hornby Class 60 if you bought of these models (beware with the 2006 trio as tight corners can be a problem with some couplers). But this has been fixed with the post-2006 models starting with 60077 and the LE model of 60081 ;).

The problem I have only had with a Hornby premium model was with the first of the 2007 issued Class 56's as I bought 56059 fresh off the shelf when it came out and the problem was with the fans being sticky and another model in 2008 was with the HST due to the windows falling out. But the 2009 Grand Central HST model and the 2010 East Midlands Trains HST models (I got the latter as a gift in 2011) have had these bugs fixed and are beautiful models in my opinion. I am sure once Hornby sort out the teething problems with their newest premium Class 67, Hornby should have all the bugs ironed out by the time the Arriva Trains Wales Class 67 hits the shelves. I would treat all new-tooled Hornby premium models as "beta" form until the bugs have been sorted which might mean waiting until the next batch or so to come out! :).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

Andrew-1976

Postby Andrew-1976 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:58 am

D306Whistler wrote:So far I have been lucky with my duo of Hornby Class 67's as both turned out okay. I will get the EWS version once they have sorted out the grammar problem with the "railwa" which is supposed to be "railway" and I expect better on a premium model.

Oh god :) just looked at my model after reading your post.......and yes i have the lack of a "y" on my "railway" lol :) Never mind.

I pick up a class 60 ews sound this week as well as a 31 sound and i am beginning to have second thoughts :(

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:12 pm

I have a couple of Class 60's with sound. I have to say, I am not too impressed with the default sounds so I sent one of them off to Olivia's for a reload with proper Class 60 sounds and they seem to sound much better. Another option is to go for Legomanbiffo's sounds which will mean upgrading the decoder and speaker to a V4 decoder as both the Hornby 60048 and 60042 models use the older V3.5 decoder and 100ohm speaker. Please do not try to use a V4 decoder with a 100ohm speaker as it will wear down the amp and can damage the decoder. I would recommend using a 4ohm speaker if you wanted just one speaker or two 8ohm speakers if you wanted two wired in parallel :). The 4 and 8 ohm speakers are much louder than the older 100ohm speakers used on the V3.5 decoders, so I would recommend knocking the volume down to around 90-100 as 192 is the maximum setting! ;).

Andrew-1976

Postby Andrew-1976 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:13 pm

I will have a play around with the sound when i pick them up wednesday. I have never had a Hornby sound although i have had several Bachmann sound on my BR blue layout. I have to be honest and say that the only one i was ever happy with out of the box was the Bachmann class 25. I had my Deltics and 20's reblown along with my 37 which had to be the worst sound loco i had ever had until it was reblown. The sound was terrible and fuzzy with no real volume on it :evil: i was glad i bought them when the box shifters had offers on because i would have been gutted had i paid RRP for them :(

Hopefully the 60 wont be as bad but i am having second thoughts about it. Its a shame because some of the Hornby stuff is great but if i buy the 31 and 60 sound thats £300 nearly and i would hope they dont have the cosmetic issues of my 67 or the traction issues of my 59. Might get a demo before purchase to make sure i am happy with them

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Andrew, I have 18 Hornby Class 60 models since I bought the first trio of them in 2006 and from my experiences. I have not had any issues with any of the models I have bought from the Hornby Class 60 tooling. I think if you bought the Hornby Class 60, be it sound or non sound equipped. You will not be disappointed with the quality as so forth, the QC has been excellent on the Hornby Class 60. I am sorry to say that I cannot comment on the Class 31 as I don't have any of those models yet, but I did hear that the early models of the Hornby Class 31 had zamak issues where the chassis sometimes split the bodyshell on the corners but this was fixed on the later models issued a year on ;). So I think you will be safe with the sound model because the first of those came out around 2008/2009 as where the first batch of Class 31's came out in 2004/2005 I think? :).

Andrew-1976

Postby Andrew-1976 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Well i picked up the Hornby sound class 60 this afternoon. I picked it up a day earlier than expected as i had to call at my mums to pick up a parcel (a lima 60)
Must say i have only had a little play after fitting kadees etc but i do really like it. I got it for £140 so i cant complain :D

I did not buy the class 31 sound that i was debating but have instead put my name on another class 60. This one is the Schenker one in the british army livery so hope to pick that one up later this week. I thought it would go nicely with my EWS fleet

Andrew-1976

Postby Andrew-1976 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:59 pm

Well, I have just discovered another fault on my class 67. :( the top lights do not work at all. Getting a bit peed off with this model now.
I think I will take it back for a refund or exchange against another loco I have on order.

A pity really as I only found out about the light issue when I sent some pics to a chap that would like to buy it from me :(

I don't know what to do, I have offered it to him as is for what I think is a fair price for a 6 week old loco but part of me is a bit concerned that if I have found three faults in six weeks is it going to go "bang" on him leaving both of us out of pocket

I can see myself losing money like its going out of fashion on this turd of a loco :evil:

Thank you Hornby :evil:

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”