Hornby class 101 DMU

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
GWR_fan

Hornby class 101 DMU

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:24 am

I purchased two of these class 101 sets, Hornby #R2579 BR blue livery and #R2698 BR blue/grey livery. Suprisingly the cabs are different mouldings. Reviewers have criticised the Hornby class 101 for having the old Lima cab moulding with the four headlights. The #2698 blue/grey DMU has four headlights, but the #2579 BR blue livery model has cab ends with two lower headlights and a destination board. I was not aware that there was two moulding versions of this model.

Tim

GWR_fan

Re: Hornby class 101 DMU

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:09 am

I believe that I may have the model numbers mixed up. The BR blue version has the two headlights and destination board and it is this that is the ex-Lima moulding. Why did Hornby (I assume) modify the tooling to four headlights on the cab ends on the blue/grey livery?

Tim

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 am

Because there were a few (fairly rare) survivors of the earliest deliveries in real life, with the four marker lights.

Lima did offer some variations on the front ends too. My blue Lima set has the two character headcodes and two marker lights. Some others had two marker lights and no headcodes (the real ones having been plated over later in life).

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:18 am

SRMan,
thankyou. I did see one blue Lima DMU on eBay with a split headcode plus several blue livery with two markers and a destination board. Strange that if the four marker light version is a carryover unit from the BR green period that Hornby would have chosen the later blue/grey livery to use the earlier period cab moulding.

Tim

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Well, I received my two class 101 dmu sets today and was quite suprised. The blue/grey set has traction tyres, however, the BR blue set does NOT. I was not aware that Hornby was producing their motor blocks without tyres fitted.

Tim

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Adding to the info I posted earlier, there is a photo on the cover of Brian Haresnape's Fleet Survey 10: First Generation DMUs showing a late green 101 with small yellow panels, red buffer beams and four marker lights. While not as late as Hornby's represented period, it does show that such a combination was possible.

The unit in the picture is in multiple with at least one other but appears to be in a four-car formation with the third one having panelled windows suggesting it was one of the rare buffet vehicles.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 pm

SRman,
thankyou for that info. Considering that Hornby had tooling for both two and four marker light models, it must have been a conscious decision (perhaps based on a particular prototype) to model the blue/grey version with four lights.

Tim

BigBadJohn4U

Postby BigBadJohn4U » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm

I have FOUR Triang Class 101 DMUs all of which have the same directional light-up headcode of "A7", firstly what does this signify and secondly which area of BR? My Hornby Class 47s have directional light-up headcodes of "1V03", this probably has no relation to the Anglia region either.

I am modelling on ex-LNER lines circa 1965-67, the main centres in the Anglia region are Norwich, Ipswich, Cambridge, Peterborough, Kings Lynn and of course London Liverpool Street and Kings Cross. I've got two Triang Class 31s which both have headcode "4C01" though one I intend to convert to a 'skinhead' numbered D5517 which has the numbers and logos in the same positions as D5572, just got to change two characters with transfers. My two Lima Green Class 31s have skinhead rooves and different numbers which I've checked are both based at Stratford in my period, D5572 was based at Norwich but would surely have hit London, Ipswich, Cambridge or Peterborough on a run.

The 37s in Anglia all had split headcode boxes so I'll need to convert three to this format out of my four of this class or leave one as D6830 with its centre headcode and say it's a visitor. Trains on the western region could access the east via the North London Line from Acton coming off it at Stratford or cross-country from Birmingham via the ECML. My blue Class 37s need changing as the numbers and logos are in the wrong positions and all bear the number D6830 along the body with the logo under the cab windows, might as well do the major surgery on those. The green D6830 has the numbers and lion logos in the right place, the fourth one is D6736 in green with split headcodes, that one should be ok.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:46 pm

The Traing model is not a 101 but a close look a like of a Metro Cammell lightweight DMU of 1955. 101s are a lot stronger and heavier with framing from below the underframe to the roof (to quote Locomotives Illustrated 207).
The Hornby ex Lima model suffers from being a power twin; Lima having never tooled a driving trailer.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:16 pm

BigBadJohn4U wrote:I have FOUR Triang Class 101 DMUs all of which have the same directional light-up headcode of "A7", firstly what does this signify and secondly which area of BR?...

The letter/numeral headcode on pilot scheme DMU's was
A = express (rather slow expresses...)
B = stopping passenger (the usual work)
C = empty carriage stock (don't ever recall seeing this).

The numeral indicated the route it was on.

The same codes could in theory be seen on any region they were allocated to, dependent on the number of routes and schedules.

Out of KX the usual thing was blank blank or B blank, occasionally B2. Don't recall ever seeing an A or C.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 am

Mike Parkes wrote:The Hornby ex Lima model suffers from being a power twin; Lima having never tooled a driving trailer.

The ex Lima Hornby 3-car class 101 is slightly more accurate in being a power car at each end with a properly tooled trailer in the middle :wink: The Triang model as you correctly state was based on the pre class 101 units of 1955. They were prototypes for what became the class 101 but used the same coupling codes as the derby lightweights (yellow diamond) which rendered them non standard and ripe for early withdrawal. They were all withdrawn by 1969 and all were scrapped apart from two cars which languished at the Derby Technical centre until they too were scrapped in 1981
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

SRman

Postby SRman » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:03 am

BigBadJohn4U wrote:I have FOUR Triang Class 101 DMUs all of which have the same directional light-up headcode of "A7", firstly what does this signify and secondly which area of BR? My Hornby Class 47s have directional light-up headcodes of "1V03", this probably has no relation to the Anglia region either.

The Triang model was compromised in several ways but, as stated by Mike Parkes, it represents the earlier lightweight units numbered in the 79xxx series. These had the cowl below the buffer beams, as represented on the Triang model. The model is too short, and the later addition of the 2-character headcode over the cab windows was a complete fiction.

There was a batch of class 111 Driving vehicles which had 4-character headcodes let in over the cab widows, which also resulted in the centre window being reduced in height to accommodate the shifted-down destination screen. Class 111 had Rolls Royce engines fitted rather than the usual AEC of Leyland (the latter originally class 102) engines, but otherwise looked identical to class 101, especially where they were not built with the headcodes or even after the headcodes were removed and plated over (the lower destination screen was the giveaway for the latter).

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:44 pm

Metadyneman wrote:The ex Lima Hornby 3-car class 101 is slightly more accurate in being a power car at each end with a properly tooled trailer in the middle
True but if you have a 2 car getting hold of a centre car is problematic as they are pretty scarce on the 2nd hand market.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”