Old Castle Class Oiling Points

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
skyblue

Old Castle Class Oiling Points

Postby skyblue » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:52 pm

I have one of Hornby's old Castle's- Fairey Battle, and it needs oiling (its making a buzzing sound). Problem is I can't find my maintenance sheet and online the only sheets I can find are ones on how to DCC it. Does anyone know where I could find one? Or, could anyone give a description of where to apply the oil? I'm fine with actually applying the oil, its just that I know there are specific points to apply it.
Thanks

6C

Re: Old Castle Class Oiling Points

Postby 6C » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 pm

I think this is one of the versions derived from the Dapol jobbie - i.e. the motor is in the loco and is 'square'.....

The Hornby website still has the service sheet for this version...

Here - top one...:

http://www.hornby.com/downloads/locomot ... ts/?page=2

:wink:
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks 6C - I didn't realise that Hornby had all those maintenance sheets on their website. It seems unusual to have to remove the whole motor to oil the gears. I had it oiled at my local model shop about 3 years ago and I don't remember him removing the motor then. I'll have a look at it over the weekend, but as it is my favourite loco (the first one I had) I'm a bit concerned about such a major disassembly.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:37 pm

It could probably do with a good clean, before oiling so you'll need to get to the gears.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

6C

Postby 6C » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm

skyblue wrote:Thanks 6C - I didn't realise that Hornby had all those maintenance sheets on their website. It seems unusual to have to remove the whole motor to oil the gears. ..... but as it is my favourite loco (the first one I had) I'm a bit concerned about such a major disassembly.

Don't - remove the motor - turn upside down - take off the bottom plate (holding the wheels in) and lubricate gears with the loco upside-down...lightly - with a modelling specific oil - like Peco Electrolube PL64...
Pete

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Don't - remove the motor - turn upside down - take off the bottom plate (holding the wheels in) and lubricate gears with the loco upside-down...lightly - with a modelling specific oil - like Peco Electrolube PL64...

Thanks for that advice 6C, that seems a much more sensible way to do it. Why do Hornby tell you to remove the motor if you can do it that way? I use some oil from Model Craft(?) which is designed for this kind of job and has a fine applicator.

trooper

Postby trooper » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks for that advice 6C, that seems a much more sensible way to do it. Why do Hornby tell you to remove the motor if you can do it that way? I use some oil from Model Craft(?) which is designed for this kind of job and has a fine applicator.[/quote]

Hornby don`t tell you to remove the motor but use an exploded didagram to show the position of the parts
Carrying on

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Hornby don`t tell you to remove the motor but use an exploded didagram to show the position of the parts

The instructions specifically say to remove the motor. It says this on the maintenance sheet: 'To lubricate the motor gears it will be necessary to remove the locomotive body as detailed in Figs. 2, 2a and 2b. Remove the motor unit, which is held in position by nut (J) and bolt (K) and screw (L)'. The diagram on the Hornby maintainence shows the motor seperate; its not just exploded. Is this the best way to do it though? (I know 6C suggested another way, which personally sounds better for me, I just want to do what's best for the loco, and if this means following Hornby's instructions to the letter, I am inclined to do so).

6C

Postby 6C » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 pm

The motor does lift out following the removal of a couple of screws - (you may have to do this soon anyway - as it is neither the strongest or longest-lasting mechanism) so it is up to you.

Thankfully the gear wheels are relatively tough....
Pete

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:40 pm

6C - I think I'll stick with your advice and do the job by removing the bottom plate. When the end does come for that motor, what should I replace it with? I have had the loco for around 5 years and its had a lot of use (until recently it was one of the only locos I used), so maybe it wont last much longer.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”