Hornby 2 BIL

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby 2 BIL

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:16 am

The upcoming 2 BIL (bi-lavatory) has me intrigued. Would it have run as a two car set or would four cars have been the working minimum? Photographs exist of working up until the early 1990s and a single set has been 'preserved', so I can see a use for this set.

I wonder if Hornby will do the later period liveries (post 1960s).

Tim

SRman

Re: Hornby 2 BIL

Postby SRman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:47 am

They definitely did work as single two-car units as well as in multiples of up to 12 cars. I once caught a singe two-car unit from Three Bridges in the early 1960s although it was added to at Gatwick.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:15 am

They would certainly look better as a multi-car unit.

Tim

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:35 am

Hornby will be using that in their advertising some moment soon...

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 am

They were worked regularly and more often than not as single 2-Car units.. most notably and nostalgically alongside 2-HALs on the Horsted Keynes-Seaford service via Haywards Heath up until that service ceased in 1963. They were used singly and in multiples of two on the East and West Coastway services between Portsmouth-Brighton, Brighton-Eastbourne-Hastings services alongside 4-CORs (Come on Bachmann.. you know you want to make one!) and 2-HALs.

It is such a shame that the enthusiasm for preserving EMUs is not enough to give us a working museum of "Live" examples. Perhaps the forthcoming revival of the "Half a 5-BEL half a 4-CIG"** might kick start it!

**The half & half refers to the fact that the 5-BEL trust are restoring the Brighton Belle using most of the useable electrial components, bogies and underframe from perfectly working but now sadly dismantled 4-CIG unit 1881 which is no more! It will be interesting to hear the "New" Brighton Belle sounding just like the train that replaced it!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi all :D Having 2Bil 2006 (southern railway group kit) which is powered by the trusty ex-dockshunt ,I have orderd 2 of the hornby version.The early one will be de-motorised and added to the hornby,s with the addition of either a Blacksmith 2Hal(2697) or a very very old Kirk 2 Bil which has been upgraded Needless to say their numbers will be altered :roll: :roll: All the best Ron

amsie

Postby amsie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 am

I think they look great in Blue and credit due where its due Hornby should be applauded for bringing out such a fine model. Lets hope its on par with the Belle and not the VEP

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Doesn't look as though Hornby are doing a BR blue version which is a shame as they would have been seen alongside the 5-Bel and 4-VEP units in blue right up until 1972.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:25 pm

It would be nice if Hornby did an unpowered version for those of us who'd like to run 2 or 3 sets. I'm sure the power bogie if its like the 5BELs one would be quite cabable to pull itself and 5 other cars about.

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 am

Him With regard the last input re the power of this motor,if I find it is sufficient ti have one(Bearing in mind the SRG kit built is brass)mImll remove one and replace the bogie and use the motorised one on my set of 2Hals At the momeny i am thinking of replacing the ex dock shunt motor in my SRG 6 PUL with one or two Hornby brighton Bellr units as I believe they have the same wheelbase All the best Ron

zarniwhoop

Postby zarniwhoop » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 am

Metadyneman wrote:Doesn't look as though Hornby are doing a BR blue version which is a shame as they would have been seen alongside the 5-Bel and 4-VEP units in blue right up until 1972.

I suspect that blue ones will appear one day, but it might be a long wait! Look at both the BEL and the (unmodified) VEP - the first versions were those they thought would NOT be wanted as much (blue VEP - only valid for about 4 years, blue-grey BEL livery was disliked by many, and the early BEL livery was obsolete before most of us were born). This way, they hope to sell a few of the less-wanted versions to those of us who are desperate and who will either put up with liveries we don't want, or will repaint them.

This time, we're getting an SR version (OK, it will go with the early BEL, but I doubt many people will want them), and green with cycling lion. I'm not sure about the NRM example (might be green with round totem), but no green with yellow panels or yellow ends, and no blue - I'm sure that both green/yellow and blue are what most people would prefer. So, still a market for the subsequent batches.

ĸen

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 am

Hi all. :D :D With regard to YOUNG KEN,S last post(Hear that bugle)he is probably right in that the first examples are the lesser#Wanted# As i mentioned before I renumbered and painted the roof of my Belle to suit 1958,and similarly the 2Bil will have its hooters removed and a whistle inserted(Where it won,t hurt :roll: )renumbered and the early crest emplaced By the way Ken there are a lot of older irks on the block hehe All the best Ron

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi all Some may already know but whilst enquiring about an unrelated matter at a reputable firm astounded to learn Hornby are only making 1300 of both the SR and BR versions and 950 of the NRM set despite advice to the contrary Some shops may not get them and Hornby are sold out Logistics my axxe All the best ron

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:09 pm

The Hornby 2BIL set has just been released as I have just received my Hornby newsletter. Looks a nice model but its a bit before the era I cover. I wonder what the quality of these models will be like? I hope the final checks and all that have come under closer scrutiny than with some of the Class 67's that came out in 2012. I won't be personally buying this model as I don't have a use for it apart from a one-off review. But from the model's point of view, there appears to be a generous amount of eye-candy! ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

Truffy

Postby Truffy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 pm

rejrob wrote:Hi all Some may already know but whilst enquiring about an unrelated matter at a reputable firm astounded to learn Hornby are only making 1300 of both the SR and BR versions and 950 of the NRM set despite advice to the contrary Some shops may not get them and Hornby are sold out Logistics my axxe All the best ron
Gaugemasters quote them as being limited quantity.

I'm very happy about the appearance of the SR model, Maunsell green really fits into my era. I've ordered from Hattons, but now thinking I should put in another order for renumbering. Then I can run a 2-car and 8-car. :D

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”