Hornby prices.

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
bristolmidland

Hornby prices.

Postby bristolmidland » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Is it just me or are the latest releases from Hornby expensive? Nearly £160 for a DCC fitted loco or £10 less for a DCC ready model. I know the model shops will discount them but I for one can't afford prices like that. No wonder they have problems. I see on the same newsletter from my local shop that the new Bachmann Wainright is only £89 before discount.

Regards Steve
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.

thebritfarmer

Re: Hornby prices.

Postby thebritfarmer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:44 pm

After looking at the RRP prices on their website there seems to be no pricing structure either !! It is almost like they are plucking prices out of mid air !!
All Aboooooard !!

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Whilst there do appear to be pricing anomalies with some Hornby stock [the ex-Airfix Prairie for eg], I've found that significant discounts can be obtained through shopping around. But whatever the pricing structure is, we have been thoroughly spoiled in the UK for years by cheap locos and rolling stock : the Bachmann 3F is a prime example. Shop for continental stock and you eyes will start to water, and their prices have been far higher for ages. Its also worth reading the interview with Simon Kohler in RMWeb on this point. But life 'aint going to get no cheaper.......

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

bristolmidland

Postby bristolmidland » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:35 pm

I agree to an extent Lysander but the one thing about continental manufacturers, especially the German ones, is the Quality which although expensive are far superior to ours quality wise. The ones I have seen are anyway with their mostly metal bodies. Mind you they should be for that price!

regards Steve
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:42 pm

P2 can be had for £67 form Hattons, which I thinks a bargain. The LSWR M7 on the other hand is £104 which for a small tank loco is crrrrrrrazy!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:42 pm

As stated, the ex-Airfix/Dapol prices are ridiculous considering the product is basically a thirty year old design with minimal 'improvements' on the original. A 61XX prairie or a 14XX is basically the same price as a newly tooled 'Tornado'. The newly announced '**** of the North' is not much more. Thus a 4-6-2 or a 2-8-2 is the same cost to produce as a 0-4-2 or have I missed something in the translation?

Tim

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:23 am

D605Eagle wrote:P2 can be had for £67 form Hattons, which I thinks a bargain. The LSWR M7 on the other hand is £104 which for a small tank loco is crrrrrrrazy!

That's the Railroad P2. The one with all the bits stuck on is £99, which is still pretty good considering.
Looks like it's going to be a 'Design Clever' model with a lot of details moulded on so it might actually be cheaper to make than the M7.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:37 am

SirMeliot wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:P2 can be had for £67 form Hattons, which I thinks a bargain. The LSWR M7 on the other hand is £104 which for a small tank loco is crrrrrrrazy!

That's the Railroad P2. The one with all the bits stuck on is £99, which is still pretty good considering.
Looks like it's going to be a 'Design Clever' model with a lot of details moulded on so it might actually be cheaper to make than the M7.

I cant believe that for a minute. Look at the valve gear and complication of the drive train. The M7 is so simple, plus the mouldings are getting on now and can't owe Hornby anything. Cash and cow are two words that spring to mind.....

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 am

Both the P2 and Duke Of Gloucester are new tooled models and it's odd to see them cheaper than the M7 and much cheaper than other tender locos in the range. Hornby have been going on about their efforts to cut production costs so something's going on there. Maybe they're to be made in India or somewhere other than by Sanda Kan.
People have been going on about expensive super super detail models. Are they winding things in a bit in response?

DonnyRailMan

Postby DonnyRailMan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Yes both the Ps are £ 20 & £ 30 cheaper than the Hornby site price.

centenary

Postby centenary » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:53 pm

DonnyRailMan wrote:

Yes both the Ps are £ 20 & £ 30 cheaper than the Hornby site price.

Manufacturer's site price is nearly always far more than independent retailers, not matter what you are buying though. Go to say, Sony or Samsung's UK web site and select any item,a digi camera or tv then go to the likes of currys. The currys price will be considerably less.

Newer 'tooled' designs can be cheaper as weel (although not always) because the tooling is more efficient or can produce more replica's with less wastage.

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:54 pm

centenary wrote:Manufacturer's site price is nearly always far more than independent retailers, not matter what you are buying though. Go to say, Sony or Samsung's UK web site and select any item,a digi camera or tv then go to the likes of currys. The currys price will be considerably less.

This is why I wait for prices to go down and visit the eHattons site.
"Thanks for taking that personality test for me."
"I'm not sure you'll find it useful. I answered everything with a joke."
"Oh, it told me a lot. For instance, you're not funny."

Adi.p

Postby Adi.p » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:16 am

Hornby is overpriced for the quality of their models. I only buy the railroad rolling stock and weather them and add details for a much lower cost than any purchase from any manufacturer. This is great because the thought of ruining a £100+ loco brings out a cold sweat. Buying something for £40 and then detailing it to look £100 is cheap, fun and satisfying. I''d recommend the railroad 9f any day. In my opinion it's Hornbys finest model and top of its league in the budget range. A bit of weathering and painting and it looks like the bachmann model which is a ridiculous £50 more. However Bach,Ann are leading the way with model locks and I'd recommend shopping about on a manner of different sites and trawl through some magazines before selecting a manufacturer to buy your product from.
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Hornby picked up the ex-Airfix/Dapol tooling in the mid-1990s following Dapol's disasterous fire and as a result of Dapol needing to secure funding. Given Dapol's predicament, I cannot see Hornby paying an enormous amount for the tooling secured, so why is it that the ex-Airfix/Dapol products are price weighted as compared with newer tooled, more detailed Hornby offerings?

Surely, with tooling costs amortised, prices should be comparable with the actual cost to produce the item. I cannot see how a thirty plus year old '14XX' or '61XX' 'tank' locomotive with very basic drive arrangement can cost GBP 20.00 more than a newly tooled 2-8-2 tender locomotive. Could it be that the market is being milked for what it is prepared to pay and not what it costs to produce? I want a few '61XX' class Prairie locomotives but cringe at the price being charged when one can purchase a far better value tender locomotive for considerably less.

Tim

Truffy

Postby Truffy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:56 pm

GWR_fan wrote:The newly announced '**** of the North' is not much more.Tim

Word filter LOL! :lol:

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”