Hornby 2013 speculation thread

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
D605Eagle

Hornby 2013 speculation thread

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Well here we go...what will be the new announcements from Hornby next year, and will the B17 FINALY make it to production?
Discuss.

amsie

Re: Hornby 2013 speculation thread

Postby amsie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Well my wishlist is the same as it has been for the past 30 odd years, that is Class 302 upto 315 RTR :-)

Other than that im not really interested in anything else. :D

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 pm

The B17 is in production as we speak; with the first batch due to be flown over shortly.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:06 am

I'd be happy if they could release all of the items for 2012. :roll:
All Aboooooard !!

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:42 am

Bankruptcy springs to mind, following their disastrously failed profiteering of the Olympics. More rehashed older models, and some more cancellations I think from them this year.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Release the B12 DCC fitted version into the railroad range in BR black colours, some triang clerestories in either LNER or GWR livery would be good in railroad too, but will that happen? I wouldn't bet on it.

I think they should get the stuff they announced out and on the market first. Release news of what they are working on, but no confirmation that it will be released, so people don't go trying to order them, or give out about the fact they aren't on sale yet. Seeings as I never have any money I'm hoping they don't really release much (and the same for bachmann) cause all the decent stuff is out at the moment and it'll all be impossible for me to afford when people start selling them at higher prices second hand because stuff is in more limited editions :/

I think hornby could actually get somewhere if they chose to model a 4 or 6 wheel branch line set of coaching stock (i don't care which railway, perhaps whichever set was most prolific).

A rerelease of a lima 33 or hornby hymek in the orange and black livery of the irish railways like they had before???? you know, for railroad or something.

Thomas and friends wise? well Rocket is in the new film for the next series it looks like so they could make him with a face??? LOL. Oliver would be what i would tip for a limited production rerelease (like spencer and stepney) and toad (they go for 70 odd quid on ebay) and maybe reintroduce they sodor mail cct (because of the sodor mail operating coach, and the fact there is an episode or two where oliver and toad go with the mail coaches) or perhaps release the operating sodor mailcoach into the main t and f range?

An affordable trainset?

I've got 2 folders so far with stuff from 2011 and 2012 (catalogue pictures from release day) of all the lovely stuff they released that I wanted, all I managed to get was spencer and a wagon or two, still, better than nothing xD

A better trakmat system? The current one doesn't really work because trying to get trains to the station in the middle is awkward :/

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I suspect, because of Mallard's anniversary, an A4 theme this year, I'm not a big follower of A4 models so I don't know which ones have been released and which haven't but a limited edition Mallard wouldn't suprise me and any of the six surving A4's.

If they have any sense another sound west country considering how quick Crewkerene sold out.

With dapol's plan's for one could we see an air smooth merchant navy?

But I suspect the olympic disastar and factory problems will result with very little new next year.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

krusty

Postby krusty » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:47 pm

The railroad class 47 in BR green would be nice.

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:48 pm

With a market capitalisation of £22m (less than half of highest point of this year) equal to only 4 months revenue, a take over of some or all might be most likely "new model"! No interim dividend, presumably not unrelated to Olympic marketing triumph! Future presumably influenced by share ownership structure - of which I have no idea.

I'd have thought that main concern should be to announce ONLY items that have a better than 90% chance of actually making it to the shelves. Time to restore some trust?
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Every year Hornby are behind their production targets, but no matter how dire their financial situation they always manage to announce some new models. It could be that their thinking is no new announcements, people will not buy any Hornby stuff. Dont see that myself but there you go.
Oddly last year I was full of ideas what might be new this year, but Bachmann must have been spying on me, or that ermmm....."use" of the polls without saying anything else paid off and I got just about everything that I wanted announced last year. Hornby usually pull something spectacularly stupid out the bag, but god knows what it could be. Class 16?

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 pm

I would really like to see an APT and I think this would be a good one for Hornby, super detailed to rival the Baccy Pullman. They would need to keep their pricing down on it however.
All Aboooooard !!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:39 pm

I expect a full programme of new releases. Two reasons: the Hornby operation is in no financial trouble (if you care to examine their published accounts you will see that they have decided to pay off about half the debt they were carrying - that's why 'no profit' this year) and the name of the game now is to keep investing in new models, because these are what sell best. They are in a three going on four way dogfight now with Bach, Heljan and now Dapol, and the only way to win is to be there with the new exciting product.

Which brings us to what they are going to do. Cannot see them trying much in diesel or electric: Heljan in particular are now sweeping up the numerically small diesel classes, Bachmann are biting chunks out of the AC and MU category, Dapol have announced a couple of big diesel subjects that didn't have satisfactory models in many people's view. Maybe it is time to renew their class 91 before another maker grabs it?

Mostly it's going to be steam era subjects, and here's something interesting; in an article published mid 2007, Simon Kohler was expecting this to dominate their output in five years time, already anticipating it would be difficult finding diesel subjects to retool. What he also observed at the time was that they had done a lot of items for the South, and he now had to look North of the Thames. That 'look North' has only just started to kick in in the last couple of years I reckon, the 2P, 4F, D49 revisions, Stanier 4P, B1, L1 - the B17 that should have been here by now - and the O1 expected shortly, the Gresley and Thompson coaches; that gives some idea of the length of time Hornby take over new model introductions. Hopefully, just as they did with GWR and SR, this is the beginning of better coverage for LMS and LNER.

New steam loco subjects for LMS and LNER, what would you guess at? Hornby are rarely that original, and with the GER tender already tooled for the B17, you have to believe they will retool the B12 to current standard. They might just retool the N2 also, but I would fancy the N7 0-6-2T as a really good fit in their range and ideal with the LNER non-corridors. Because everything else, (like the 4P, B1, L1, O1 already mentioned) pretty much has to be all new to the range. Other thoughts that occur to me. They have a proven 0-4-4T chassis layout in the M7 that they haven't yet re-used, and the LMS was a big user of the type, the Caley designs having some relationship because of the Drummond connection. Having started on an eight coupled surge (28/38/42/52/72xx and O1) there's a couple of numerous candidate classes up north, the LMS 'Austin 7' and NER Q6, both 0-8-0 types which would be a first for Hornby's range. Alternative freight engines - and both are regular wish list candidates - there's the Stanier mogul, and the NER/LNER B16. And of course express passenger locos. The big type going begging is an Atlantic - there never has been one in RTR OO, and the GNR and Brighton Atlantics - which did a lot of running with Pullman cars too - are essentially the same design: clever tooling could get both these models for less investment. Rather as they did with the Britannia and the Clan, which could mean they planned for Duke of Gloucester as well - that might get a Railroad model as the 'Tornado' venture seems to have come off OK.

In coaches they have been working to a pattern. The first 'new standard' coaches were the Pullman cars, then Gresley corridor, Stanier, Maunsell, Hawksworth, six wheel bogie Pullman cars, Gresley and Thompson non-corridors. Anyone else see the pattern there ? I would guess at Stanier non-corridor coaches next as they already have the 57' underframe, (and maybe as they did with the Gresley full brake which was a very obvious omission from the corridor stock choice, they will add a Stanier corridor composite to the range).

Now I can happily wait to be completely WRONG!

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 pm

I am still hoping someone does a Class 377 "Southern" and Class 375 "SouthEastern". Dont care it Hornby or Bachmann does it as long as someone does.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Witney Flyer

Postby Witney Flyer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Some GW branch stuff please,not rehashed half cab panniers!
Steam railmotor.. A new 48xx tank without the top feed apparatus, which could mean a model of a 517 class tank (Fair Rosamund please!)...Some pre war coaches.. Metro tank..A new Dean Goods...A 54xx Pannier to legitimatly run with an autocoach.
One reason I've not bothered with the model railway hobby this year is the obsession with main line locos. I don't have the money, time or space to need or use them.
GWR branchline fan who's being turned towards the Southern!!!!

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm

A better selection of DMUs, railcars and modern passenger stock would be nice.
"Thanks for taking that personality test for me."
"I'm not sure you'll find it useful. I answered everything with a joke."
"Oh, it told me a lot. For instance, you're not funny."

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”