princess lizzy sparks like a good un

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Rob-B

princess lizzy sparks like a good un

Postby Rob-B » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Cleaned the comutator new brushes ran it forward for 30 mins and backwards the same but it sparks more than i would like what could be causeing this and could it be fixed or is it a new motor

quick vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDvIyVN ... ata_player

any advice would be good thanks :wink:
Rob

trooper

Re: princess lizzy sparks like a good un

Postby trooper » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 pm

A sure sign that there is either some muck still on the armature or brushes. Either that or the motor is on the way out. Seriously I would not bother to much about it as those older motors do tend to spark rather a lot.
Carrying on

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Do you still have the capacitor wired between the brushes, it helps absorb the spikes which cause the flash. Also check the vertical positioning of the brushes their point of contact needs to be at the midpoint.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:39 am

That motor looks in good nick to me. No immediate visible evidence of overheating or significant wear. New brushes take a while to bed in fully to the commutator profile and will spark more until they have done so, as initially there is only a line contact. May need a couple of hours of running at medium speed, ideally with the motor off the chassis so there is lowest possible current being carried. (This is probably an aspect of getting the best from these motors that is being forgotten as they become less common.)

As already posted a small capacitor will help 'quench' the sparking. Other things to look at, the spring tension applied to the brushes. When released the spring should open out to at least three times the width in its working position engaging the brushes, and also make sure that the wiring is not too heavy and effectively working against the spring.

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:33 pm

That doesn't look that bad to me XO4s tend towards sparking. Bigmets right you need to run the new brushes in, but did you undercut the segments on the commutator that would help.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:58 pm

That's a thought. The original spares had a curved contact face which was a near match to the commutator surface.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”