Bargain EWS HAA MGR wagons 2012 release

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
poindexter

Bargain EWS HAA MGR wagons 2012 release

Postby poindexter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Bargain!!! if your into EWS or willing to throw a bit of paint on the frames

This was on the Hattons email about Hornbys 2012 releases
Hornby Railroad R6606 MGR Wagons (Old Style) Triple Pack. Due 2nd Qtr RRP£10.99 Hattons £9.00

Yes I know this is the old style without sprung buffers and old style couplings, but these still sell on ebay for between £4 and £9 each second hand!!
I think Hattons have made a mistake on the prices. If you bought a rake and painted them you would still be quids in.

Guy
My unprototypical, learning curve, playfest:

Stockton Road TMD

Millfield. Helix building

Phipps

Re: Bargain EWS HAA MGR wagons 2012 release

Postby Phipps » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:20 am

Guy-You probably know I agreed with you elsewhere,but it's worth doing so twice.I must say I'm willing to scrub out the odd bit too & make it a bit nearer my era.No bad thing having about 9 or 12 at that price :wink:

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:34 am

I ordered 6 sets

3 quid for a brand new wagons is good in anyones book! even if they are in the railroad range

Makes a nice rake for something to pull on my garden railway
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 am

How often can anyone put the words "bargain" & "Hornby" in the same sentence these days? Like I mentioned about 3 or 4 sets would do for me(9-12 was the number of hoppers,not sets BTW) :lol:

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:46 am

By 'old style' I presume Hornby mean British Rail and not EWS? Does anyone know different?
If they are as per British Rail, ill order 12 packs to make a full rake of 36 :mrgreen:

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_blue/

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:36 pm

No, old style in this instance means the ancient tooling with those weird pivoting axles. They do seem to be in keeping with Hornbys current 'give the D&E modellers the old tat' stance. Still, at that price you can't really argue with them, and they aren't all that bad considering their age. Its an easy way to get a good sized rake quickly and cheaply, and for the money I'd think more people would be willing to have a stab at weathering them up, which is just what they need!

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi.
Yep, I understand they are the old tooling, I was just trying to confirm the livery before ordering 12 packs of them.

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Got an old weathered one upstairs with orange frames somewhere & you can't grip at £3 :wink:
Could prove to be one of their successful,yet unsung products

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:14 pm

The images on the Hornby site of R6606 shows them in EWS livery with the EWS applied only to the cradle.

Having repainted dozens of HAA in 00 and N Gauge myself, getting the EWS off these and even completely reliverying them in to Railfreight is one of the easiest jobs you can do. It took me about 4 hours to completely relivery 10 of them from china clay CDAs into weathered Railfreight, and that included stripping them down to bare plastic and converting the hoppers from CDA to HAA. The EWS maroon cradle, if you remove the EWS lettering, becomes close to the older Railfreight maroon carried by large numbers of these. To add a bit of variety to the rake, remove the hopper from the chassis and take the cradle off. Stick it in some Mr Muscle to strip off the EWS and remove any grease, then prime, paint it Railfreight Red and reassemble. To speed things up you can work on 6-10 cradles at a time, I literally took apart 10 at a time and just dumped all the cradles into an ice cream tub and filled it with Mr Muscle, then went round to 0121modellers house for a few hours while the cradles were stripped. When I painted them I stuck them all on a plank of wood and painted the lot together in about 10 minutes. The numbers on the hopper don't get affected by the repaint so theres no transfers to do, and to repaint 20+ of them costs about £10.

For the price, the Railroad HAAs are perfect for this kind of abuse, it doesn't matter what livery they're in! :wink:

poindexter

Postby poindexter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Good informative post Zunnan, thanks. Lots of rebranding info for me and my 10 packs Ive ordered!!
My unprototypical, learning curve, playfest:

Stockton Road TMD

Millfield. Helix building

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:28 pm

poindexter wrote:Good informative post Zunnan, thanks. Lots of rebranding info for me and my 10 packs Ive ordered!!

Blimey,hope there's 3 or 4 packs left over :lol:
Is this the original?
Haven't a clue where I got it from,but it's marked Hornby in the 1970s logo & Made In Great Britain on underside
As you can see,mine's orange framed,but I can alter that if needed
As mentioned,I can confirm the couplings are on a pivot.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Thats the one they're going to be doing, yes, just not in that livery...but you can see how easy it is to replicate :wink:

Good grief...that brings back memories of a dozen of those on my childhood layout being pulled by a Mainline class 56!

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Fantastic reply, thank you very much :mrgreen: I used to have some of these many Years back, for their age in comparison to the very expensive (and still inaccurate) new version, I guess they are a no brainer.
I just hope Hornby realise just how popular these wagons will be at this price. Right, I'm ordering 12 packs this evening!

Regards,

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

senorsenales

Postby senorsenales » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Just looked, no sign of them unless I looked in the wrong place. Must have sold out at that price ?
I had a good trawl round, single wagons at £9 not as a pack of 3.

Point me in he right direction if I missed them, I could do with half a dozen !

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:47 pm

They've not been released yet LINKY

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”