Hornby 2012

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
brianthesnail96

Re: Hornby 2012

Postby brianthesnail96 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:00 pm

GWR Heavy Freight tanks you say? At least one of each for me then please- some of my favourite classes. Between Hornby and Bachmann's Dukedog it's gonna be an expensive year... not least 'cos I'm going to have to build a layout suitable for the beasties, and buy a lot of 16 tonners to go with the 2-8-0!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:11 pm

If you are building them a layout stick to 36" radius or larger points; just to be on the safe side. They will be far, far, happier on relatively easy curves.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:25 pm

Expensive year, BUT which one ???
Am I being cynical, but it may well be that 2013 will be your expensive year ??

I'm currently inclined not to place pre-delivery orders, but get as & when available.
My longest was ordered at the beginning of January, delivered mid November.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:41 pm

I guess it depends on what you collect Geoff. I didn't preorder my Hornby MK2 SO Intercity coaches sold out before they hit the websites for me to order. I had a dickens of a time trying to get some.
All Aboooooard !!

brianthesnail96

Postby brianthesnail96 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:56 pm

I've recently moved house and now have a spare room- the start of the expensive year came yesterday, with the purchase of a handful of code 75 large radius points and a box of flexi (and a Pannier tank and a couple of coaches as a Christmas present from my OH, always nice to have a partner that encourages your oddball hobbies). Very much looking forward to having the room to make the most of the large radius points instead of sticking to setrack due to the constraints of space.

Would do me a favour if we didn't see them until the end of 2012 or 2013, give me a bit more time to get organised and have somewhere to run them- I also don't do preorders and will just wait and see what happens.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:25 pm

Dad-1 wrote:...Am I being cynical, but it may well be that 2013 will be your expensive year ...

Hornby's claim is that they have their supply issues 'sorted', and the remaining outstanding items for last year and this year's announcements will all be out in 2012. (Obviously barring any major problem completely outside their control.)

In fairness to Hornby, the first five or so years of their Chinese sourced manufacturing went very well indeed with on-time deliveries; it was Bachmann who regularly took the pasting for failing to consistently deliver on time. Hornby's manufacturing partner was Sanda Kan, a business with long experience in model railways and a good export reputation developed mainly in the Horth American HO market. That performance fell apart when the original owner retired, and the business ended up in the hands of a venture capital operation. There has been some improvement since Sanda Kan was acquired by Kader, and Hornby have also now diversified their manufacturing outsourcing to further vendors. But of course they thought they had it fixed for 2011, and then ran into problems. One they have acknowledged is with the B17; this had EP samples on show when announced so was well underway, but reportedly has been delayed to fix quality issues, type unspecified but the visual appearance of the samples shown has been consistently good .

Whittington5021

Postby Whittington5021 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:16 pm

On my shed layout it should be ok since most of my points are peco code 75 and are mostly medium and large radius, I hope that I would be backin work and saved quite a bit before the 2-8-0 tanks

Also I see that hornby are redoing the King with 4 Row superheater and single chimney
Mine will be Green with early BR logo Hornby (Hint,Hint)

But the coaching range has one yawning hole in it It's called a CATERING VEHICLE PLEASE

Garethp8873

Postby Garethp8873 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Disappointed not to see a King in a GWR livery though. I have a Castle, Grange, Hall, Modified Hall. A King in GWR livery would have completed the set. :(

Garethp8873.
[IMG]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7691/38723965n03.jpg[/IMG]

[size=3][url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/svr_enthusiast/[/url][/size]

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:52 pm

A king with double chimney, early crests and a bell would go down well with me hint hint ;) 6023 is just as good however!
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:54 pm

I wouldn't be so disappointed Gareth.It may be that they plan to do one another year with newer tooling(I know,wishful optimisim :roll: ) or perhaps sneak an older-tooling one a GW version in this coming year.
The A4 Silverlink wasn't announced on Dec 25th 2010 but was still out (though in woefully short supply) by March of 2011 as an extra item.I didn't expect 2509,but it was announced all the same & having dithered,I took the plunge without any regret.

Garethp8873

Postby Garethp8873 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Although there is another option. If the 2012 King coming out is a new tooling and chassis, then it might be an idea to purchase that and have someone pay to transform it into a GWR version. Would be expensive but worth it.

Garethp8873.
[IMG]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7691/38723965n03.jpg[/IMG]

[size=3][url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/svr_enthusiast/[/url][/size]

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:30 pm

The Chassis isnt that bad on the king class for me the great pain is the front bogie espically on DCC as if it derails its causes a short on my layout
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:37 am

Bigmet wrote:There are not many hardcore LNER/BR(ER) types detectable on this site...

You called?

Bigmet wrote:...so perhaps low interest in the O1 here is unsurprising.

I am a fan of the LNER and of heavy freight locomotives (not least because long freight trains are more interesting to watch amble about a sufficiently lengthy layout than speeding expresses) but I will admit to some caution about this one. I don't know about the 28xx, which is Hornby's most recent foray into 2-8-0s, because I don't have one and don't know anyone who does, but the 8F (which I do have, in - surprise surprise - LNER O6 guise) is woefully under-weighted, and my Bachmann O4 cleans its clock. I use the O6 on a van train because that train is far lighter and free-er -running than the heavier (loaded) coal wagons with which I burden my O4. So I will not be pre-ordering an O1, but I will be looking with interest when they arrive. I may get one, but it will be a harder sell than the O4, partly due to mechanical concerns, and partly due to my near-total ignorance of the prototype. I will need to be sold on its looks as much as anything else, and that will only happen when I see one in the flesh.

Regards,
Gavin

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:13 am

After further thinking about it, an LNER freight type which probably would have elicited an immediate pre-order from me is the Raven Q6: not only would it be the first RTR outside-cylinder 0-8-0 (with all the advantages in tractive ability that implies) available in the UK (thus tapping into 'novelty' sales), there is also a preserved example still in steaming condition. That, to my mind, would have been a far more impressive, useful, and desireable model.

As for the GWR tanks - they can lay claim to a far more immediate 'ooooh' of interest and appreciation, provided Hornby can properly set up the chassis. And while I can't lay any real claim to predicting their appearance in the catalogue, I did suspect some new GWR model(s) on the basis of the sudden appearance of a fair amount of GWR infrastructure in the Skaledale range...

Regards,
Gavin

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:56 am

Black-Marlin wrote:After further thinking about it, an LNER freight type which probably would have elicited an immediate pre-order from me is the Raven Q6: not only would it be the first RTR outside-cylinder 0-8-0 (with all the advantages in tractive ability that implies) available in the UK (thus tapping into 'novelty' sales), there is also a preserved example still in steaming condition. That, to my mind, would have been a far more impressive, useful, and desireable model.

If you think about it, almost any LNER engine would be more desiable than an O1.... MOst people outside the circle have never ever heard of one!
Black-Marlin wrote:As for the GWR tanks - they can lay claim to a far more immediate 'ooooh' of interest and appreciation, provided Hornby can properly set up the chassis. And while I can't lay any real claim to predicting their appearance in the catalogue, I did suspect some new GWR model(s) on the basis of the sudden appearance of a fair amount of GWR infrastructure in the Skaledale range...

Regards,
Gavin

I'm fair looking forwards to see how Hornby have made this work.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”