Hornby 2012

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
subject_delta

Hornby 2012

Postby subject_delta » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:04 pm

With 3/4 Months to go untill Christmas and the new Hornby releases, I was wondering what people would like to see in their range. Personally I think Hornby will have to pull out the stops this time and create the spark that will light that intrest in the railways again.

I reckon more focus on the GWR is a priority. I've seen many threads asking for retooling on these magnificant locos.
I also think Hornby needs a new innovation. Ideas such as Live Steam, smoke units, retooled signals/accessories and perhaps working doors (expensive but possible)

35011 GSN

Re: Hornby 2012

Postby 35011 GSN » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:49 pm

I think its about time for a sparkling new King, although with the recent new GWR stuff it may not happen. I also think a new 142 pacer is a must, to compete with the realtrack models :D

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Maybe getting all the 2010 announced models into the shops would be a better move, there's a fair amount awaited. Hornby have started moving through their GWR loco fleet with renewals, but I should think will want the all-new Castle and 28xx/38xx models to get all the early sales possible before introducing anything further competing for the same spend? There's only so much money about for any area of interest, and it is well known that a new model typically gets its' best sale volumes in the 2 to 3 years from initial release: internal competition doesn't make much sense for a manufacturer.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:39 pm

Bigmet has made a very important point there. It's not about what we can expect to hear from Hornby for 2012.. many of the models that were supposed to be in our mitts from the 2010 range are still awaited and the 2011 range is going the same way (eg the Brighton Belle).

It should also be noted that we are in the middle of a recession right now with no real sign of it ending just yet. People are having to put up with rising prices for essentials like food gas electricity etc and with most people (except as usual the very rich) having to take a pay freeze or even a cut or even worse redundancy, I see a very bleak future for the hobby as it is now because sales will eventually plummet if prices rise any further and by that I include the discounted prices by the box shifters.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

NickB

Postby NickB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:58 pm

I agree with all the comments made so far, perhaps it would be a good idea for Hornby to take a year out from any new announcements so they can catch up with what should have already been released by the end of this year. Just my humble opinion. :D

jus

Postby jus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Totally agree with bigmet. Get all the stuff that they promised out first. I'd like to see some more railroad stuff TBH, as I can't often afford the new stuff. I'd also like to see more modern vehicles from them too.
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR

subject_delta

Postby subject_delta » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:12 pm

I reckon more railroad stuff is a very good idea. So far I am strapped for cash and the current railroad models arn't exactly cheap. I'm snticipating the pullman hornby announced aswell :o

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:23 pm

I think this thread has come up with some ideas hornby should take on board:

1) Getting the stuff they promised us into the stores rather than promising more stuff that will take even longer to arrive.
2) Expand the railroad range for those feeling the pinch of the recession.

Also, Any ideas what the 2012 club model will be?

I would like to see a better selection of branch line stock, like perhaps even a brake coach version of the 4 wheel coach, that would be good even if they don't bring out a different kind of 4 wheel coach. I think my fear is that if they produce some decent branch line stock it will be going the way of the rest of the hornby range (= expensive).

Alex 8)

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Jonny

Postby Jonny » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:13 am

I'd quite like Henry to come back.

RubyRubyRuby

Postby RubyRubyRuby » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:39 am

that would be a good idea for hornby to retool there 4 wheel coach as the present one looks pretty
crap . but reuse the old chassis to keep costs down.

NickB

Postby NickB » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am

Great idea, but i'd just be happy if they made a suitable Brake Coach. :)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:24 am

Alexander Court wrote:...I would like to see a better selection of branch line stock, like perhaps even a brake coach version of the 4 wheel coach, that would be good even if they don't bring out a different kind of 4 wheel coach. I think my fear is that if they produce some decent branch line stock it will be going the way of the rest of the hornby range ...

That's about it; if for example they decided to offer new four wheel coaches, then almost certainly they would be scale models. Because that's the only way they can sell them at a price that the newly tooled models need for cost recovery. On top of that it's a difficult subject area, four and six wheeler passenger coaches were all used in small numbers and restricted areas in the grouping era, and are effectively gone by the BR period, where most sales are made. How do you choose a subject when whatever vehicle you model is very specific to a small area? This really is the point at which the modeller wanting something better needs to think about DIY, perhaps with kits; there is some good material to work from, including polystyrene kits from Ratio and the ex-Kirk kits from Coopercraft which are not expensive and relatively easy to cut about.

What they have coming are the Gresley non-corridors, when they get them in the shops. Those genuinely can be used on branchlines, were used over much of England North of London and in Scotland, and lasted until the 1960s. Ironically Hornby and the other makers ranges combined only provide LMS and BR origin steam and diesel traction suitable for operating these on branchlines, there are no genuine LNER branchline locos. The nearest thing to LNER branchline locos in RTR are Hornby's L1 and N2 and Bachmann's V1/V3; all of these really mainline commuter service power that occasionally got onto branches, the J52, J72, J83 and J94 are all shunting locos. Something smaller and lighter is really required from the pre-group origin 4-4-2T, 0-6-2T, 2-4-2T and 0-4-4T types that pottered about to the end of steam on branches as the DMUs arrived.

It is much to be hoped that these coaches sell well, because that might lead Hornby or Bachmann on to offering an equivalent range of LMS non-corridor vehicles. It is perhaps surprising that Hornby didn't lead with LMS types, as there is suitable branchline steam power for late LMS and BR, the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 and 2MTT 2-6-2T types, although again nothing of pre-group origin like the 2-4-2T, 0-4-4T, 0-6-2T types which were so common on this class of work.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:35 am

Jonny wrote:I'd quite like Henry to come back.

Seconded Jonny,I can't agree more.I've only got six of the Eight Famous Engines & in a choice between him or Gordon,I got a Gordon,not realising Henry would be discontinued.
Staying with the main subject,it would be a better plan if Hornby concentrated more on the existing delayed releases,rather than get too far ahead of themselves.
A number of retooled Kings would be great though-An NRM George V & the blue KE2 would be superb!

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:22 pm

is it possible the T&F range is being discontinued to allow the range to be re-tooled....i suspect the faces may be changed to reflect the new CGI faces :|

subject_delta

Postby subject_delta » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Apart from percy, even before cgi, I thought the Hornby models were quite rubbish.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”