Lima Diesel Class 31 = D5551. Lack of Traction on Incline.

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
LABICHE JUNIOR

Lima Diesel Class 31 = D5551. Lack of Traction on Incline.

Postby LABICHE JUNIOR » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:47 pm

Hello Everyone. I hope you are all Well. Re. the above Loco. Any Advice/ Suggestions would be most welcome and thankfully accepted. I've had this Loco as well as other Lima and Hornby Locos for a long time now. I've introduced a small incline to my layout and the Class 31 Lima Diesel is having problems pulling one coach up the incline, whereas a small 0-6-0 Tank Engine without Traction Tyres can pull a Rake of Four Coaches at a Speed of 45 up the incline without any problems at all ! The Class 31 has had new Traction Tyres fitted and the rest of the wheels have been cleaned with a Fibreglass Pencil so there seems to be no Electrical Problems. The Gear cogs have been 'Lubricated' and it runs well on a Level Track but struggles on the Incline. I hope someone will recognise the symptons and let me know of a remedy. Thanking you all, again.....Kindest Regards.
During One's Life, Some Lines should never be Crossed !

hairyhandedfool

Re: Lima Diesel Class 31 = D5551. Lack of Traction on Incline.

Postby hairyhandedfool » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:20 am

If you can hear the motor spinning, it is a traction problem, if not, it would be a motor problem of some sort.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

jus

Postby jus » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:05 am

Assuming it's a traction problem as hairyhandedfool mentioned, then try adding weight over or near the driven bogie. This should 'force' the traction tyres down onto the rails and hopefully allow the loco to move up the incline.

Just a thought. How steep is the incline?
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:16 am

Good advice already, to which a further area to look at. My experience with Lima is limited (by choice) but one of the several areas in which they failed to impress was pick up arrangements, which since they are on the trailing bogie introduce drag, and by the style of the construction often lots of drag. On the class 20 these were metal plates which ran in a flanged boss on the inside of the wheels, which were positively acting as brakes. Removing these and switching to home made wipers from phosphor bronze sheet acting on the flat wheelbacks made a world of difference. Easy to add too, a small self tapper secured the new wipers to the plastic bogie frame.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:13 pm

LABICHE JUNIOR wrote:Hello Everyone. I hope you are all Well. Re. the above Loco. Any Advice/ Suggestions would be most welcome and thankfully accepted. I've had this Loco as well as other Lima and Hornby Locos for a long time now. I've introduced a small incline to my layout and the Class 31 Lima Diesel is having problems pulling one coach up the incline, whereas a small 0-6-0 Tank Engine without Traction Tyres can pull a Rake of Four Coaches at a Speed of 45 up the incline without any problems at all ! The Class 31 has had new Traction Tyres fitted and the rest of the wheels have been cleaned with a Fibreglass Pencil so there seems to be no Electrical Problems. The Gear cogs have been 'Lubricated' and it runs well on a Level Track but struggles on the Incline. I hope someone will recognise the symptons and let me know of a remedy. Thanking you all, again.....Kindest Regards.

Sounds like the traction tyres you've fitted to the wheels are slightly bigger in diameter than the original tyres and therefore causing the wheels to slip inside the tyres under load when you add a coach or two, especially when hauling them up a incline.
To cure this, you will need to find a set of tyres slightly smaller in diameter, and fit them instead.

Just a thought, does your Class 31 still have the steel weight fitted in the battery box ? If not, this will also be cause of your loco slipping on the incline.

I have two Lima Class 31's one DC the other DCC and both of them use to haul eight Bachmann Mk1's up the steep inclines on my old layout without any problems.
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”