GWR 38xx 2-8-0

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Lysander

GWR 38xx 2-8-0

Postby Lysander » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:56 pm

My Hattons' bargain arrived yesterday and I was keen to run it at the club tonight to see if its performance matched the excellent 28xx. I've posted a few photos of the cab area to show the difference between this and the 28xx. The loco body and tender were covered pretty fully in earlier 28xx threads.

Below, 28xx cab for comparison.

How did it run ? After an hour of running-in, very sweetly and it crawled superbly, maintaining a steady speed in spite of inclines, etc.

However, the first fifteen minutes were dire. The unit was extremely noisy - squeaking and screeching - and its progress was inconsistent. Oiling the motion [as directed] made no difference. Eventually the trouble was isolated and the tender was at fault. Oiling the three tender axles cured this completely. I suspect that regular running would require occasional lubrication in this area. Knowing where to look in future eliminates this problem once and for all.

The front pony needs a little adjustment [widening out] as the b-t-b is a little tight, resulting in too much side-play. The connection between the loco and the tender is as one might expect - extremely fiddley.

Overall, an excellent model with - now - performance to match. And at Hatton's bargain price [£69], a steal.

Tony.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

ChrisWV10

Re: GWR 38xx 2-8-0

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:53 pm

Dagnabbit! I've been stoically resisting getting one of these myself and now you come along posting pictures of the excellent cab detail and saying what a nice runner it is and at such a bargain price too..... I wonder if it's really necessary to eat for the next 3 weeks? :lol:

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Don't blame me ! It's entirely Biggles' fault - he beamed subliminal Hattons' messages to me through the aether. I had no intention of buying one, but what could I do ? Anyway, it's good not to eat...........

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Garethp8873

Postby Garethp8873 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:01 pm

I have been tempted to get one of these myself. But the similarities to that of their predecessors the 28XX, I just think it would sitting around doing nothing. They however look amazing. The detail which now goes into these models is outstanding.
[IMG]http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7691/38723965n03.jpg[/IMG]

[size=3][url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/svr_enthusiast/[/url][/size]

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:16 pm

I bought one at the last, somewhat higher 'special offer' price of £87 in May.
Mine had no funny noises though, ran sweetly from the off although
attaching the tender wiring was a pain. Added a TCS decoder on Thursday
not easy with tender attached.
Running even better now and has pulled around 45 wagons with aparent
ease although couldn't move with 50, just sat with wheels slipping.
(last 5 were heavy ballasted oil tanks)

Can't go wrong if you like heavy freight !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Lysander wrote:Don't blame me ! It's entirely Biggles' fault - he beamed subliminal Hattons' messages to me through the aether. I had no intention of buying one, but what could I do ? Anyway, it's good not to eat...........Tony

:lol: :D :wink: hahaha ...Tempter........so many GREAT bargains at the moment. What's a poor fellow to do? Those inveiglers Mr. Desire and Ms. Indulgence on my left shoulder unceasingly chanting their mantra to emotion "You desire them all! Buy now before the opportunity buy bargain is gone. You know resistance is futile". So here I am trying to decide between which one, windowless cab.... or? .....if another loco purchase right now at all! Whilst my steadfast friend Mr. Discipline on the right shoulder invokes logic imploring moderation and common sense. "You know there'll always be another better bargain opportunity tomorrow".

In the meantime.... :mrgreen:

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”