Hornby Pug Other Body's.

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Stufiley

Re: Hornby Pug Other Body's.

Postby Stufiley » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:57 pm

With a little bit of work the old "Poly" type 60s and 70s loco will run with this new chassis. I don't have a picture to upload of mine at the moment but here is a link to my website:

http://thesouthcoastrailway.weebly.com/ ... tives.html

If you scroll about half way down the page you'll see No.1744 (ex number 7) with the outside cylinders frame from an old 0-4-0 Caledonian Loco.
Please have a look at my website, like my railway I doubt i'll finish it!
http://thesouthcoastrailway.weebly.com
and a few pictures and videos of 12" to the Foot Scale!:
http://stusrailwayguides.weebly.com

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Stufiley wrote:With a little bit of work the old "Poly" type 60s and 70s loco will run with this new chassis. I don't have a picture to upload of mine at the moment but here is a link to my website:

http://thesouthcoastrailway.weebly.com/ ... tives.html

If you scroll about half way down the page you'll see No.1744 (ex number 7) with the outside cylinders frame from an old 0-4-0 Caledonian Loco.

Fantastic web site. I really like the way you present the models are real locos. I may have to give the No.1744 conversion a try.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:10 pm

Here's a reasonably easy conversion of the Pug into a freelance industrial tank. It cost £7 for the loco which was in Midland railway livery plus another £4.00 including postage for another body which was cut up and used to extend the saddle tank and build the back wall of the cab.

As usual the camera is not my friend, Photobucket have changed their site and I can't work out how to make the photo's smaller, you can see every fault and every grain of dust.

Ken

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Don't shoot yourself, that looks really good. It makes you wonder why on earth Hornby don't do a similar body with the saddle tank extended over the smokebox like 99% of 0-4-0 industrials are. I'm just doing a minor conversion job on an Andrew Barclay 06. Fitting small bachmann couplings makes a massive difference, and fittng a match truck with picups makes shunting a load easier. Is there a better 5 poll motor that will fit? or some sort of conversion to reduce the gearing????

Jonny

Postby Jonny » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:40 pm

I concur with Eagle, it looks okay to me. I tihnk you have to keep two things in mind whilst modelling: namely, that you're modelling something oily, dirty and noisy, and that it's a model. There's bound to be a few flaws here and there.

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:15 am

The loco looks very good and is less dusty than some of my stuff!!!

You should be very proud of your work.

It just shows the potential for the humble Hornby 0-4-0 I just wish Hornby would improve the chassis.
The Bachmann 0-4-0 (now only available as Percy) is a sweet little runner and comes DCC ready.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:01 am

This is interesting. I've nearly finnished upgrading my 06, I've stuffed it full of lead in every space possiable, permently coupled it to a weighted old Hornby shunters wagon with picups on its wheels, fitted bachmann small couplings, lubed up all the axles and bearings with white RC helicopter gearbox grease, and I'm just wating for a flush glazing kit to arrive. It will happily pull 20 PO wagons and a guards van, not including the shunters truck at a prototypical walking pace using my feedback controller, get it up to running speed and flip it over to pure DC and it runs beautifully. It will go over any pointwork too without a hicup. Not bad for £7.83!
I'll pop some pictures up when I'm finished.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:01 pm

heres some pics...

deeslexia

Postby deeslexia » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:55 am

I like the conversions .. where is my saw ... ?

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi Modellers. Wheel balance weights are available from your favourite motor supply outlet.
I bought some in 5 and 10 grams. Quite cheap otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.
Happy modelling Kev

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:13 pm

Geoff T. I have just purchased a Hornby Pug Body X3978 No 51235 off eBay . With the view to improving/ changing ? The appearance of another Pug. Does that mean that I have "dropped myself right in it"?? And now I will be stuck with a U.S Body, no good to man nor beast. Happy Modelling Kev

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 pm

This was just playing around:

(edit) Photobucket not being nice:
Try it as a link
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu170/Emettman/Garden%20file/DSC00881_zps0mehnxuk.jpg

A Lima 08 chassis under a Pug body (including metal footplate)
Guts reorganised.

A banker at a cramped London terminus?
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:42 am

no joy there. Photof**kit fail LOL

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:38 pm

D605Eagle wrote:no joy there. Photof**kit fail LOL

Damn. The *link* method works for me, so I can't even tell whether what i'm posting is OK or rubbish for others.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”