Hornby J83

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
buz

Hornby J83

Postby buz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:09 am

Hi
Can any one give me any information on the running of Hornby's J83
like is it reliable at low speed.
I only have a 4'6" square layout so reliable slow running is a must.
Also any info on the real ones would be appreciated as I am thinking one would be good for
My Small Light Railway.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Bigmet

Re: Hornby J83

Postby Bigmet » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:55 am

Evasive action required. This is one of the venerable clunkers in Hornby's range, inaccurate and unrefined body on their generic cheapo chassis.

The 0-6-0T's in Hornby's catalogue that are halfway decent are the J94 and Terrier, both ideal for light railways. Basically accurate, but from quite dated tooling so a little less detailed than newer releases. These have pick up on all wheels, no traction tyres and a sprung centre axle, and a two stage reduction gear train. Sometimes need a little fettling of the plastic motor mounting to get the motor properly seated to optimise the running, and some bending or beefing up of the centre axle spring. Of the two the J94 is much the easier to work on, and has better pick up arrangements.

Bachmann have two very suitable 0-6-0T models for a light railway (both types were sold out of service to small private operators) in their Jinty and Pannier models. Accurate, well detailed, decent mechanisms, (same motor and gear train in both) some tweaking of the centre axle springing to increase travel is beneficial for optimum performance.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:27 am

I've got a J83 that I've had for about three years. It's in bits, and one day I'll get round to making it run better. I bought some Romford / Markits wheels for it, but the sprung rear axle is causing a bit of a headache, so I've put it to one side to prevent a flying J 83 :x

In short, it's an "orrible thing that I wish I'd never bought, so take Bigmets advice and go for something better.
Pete.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:26 pm

The early Hornby J83's were bomb proof they have the old X.03 motor in them and they jsut run and run, alas going over to a cheaper motor and thinner plastics hasn't helped their longevity. If you must have a Hornby J83 go for the 1976-1980's examples with the X.03, 30 years on they will still be running happily.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:59 pm

While agreeing with the above veterans about the model quality, I like this crude model and it makes a change from other similar types milked to death by H. I have two and they both run OK given the problems identified above. I also, like some others here, like the 0-4-0s despite their (major) failings. The best 0-6-0T IMO is the Bachmann Jinty (and maybe their pannier too)
But...it wasn't the Waverley Station Pilot and there is such a dearth of small useful models that I love my J83s and will accept gifts from those who hate them
rocketman

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Why no edit here?
I also loved the old Mainline, now Bachmann J72. I have had several (motor is in the cab), Some were terrible runners to begin with and eventually the wheels parted from the axles and needed glueing, but a few were perfect and are still lovely models.
You may be lucky with your J83.Have a look at some other topics here like Sumware and St Oval and you will see what can be done with such creations.
rocketman

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:14 pm

and to start the other part of your question
http://www.lner.info/locos/J/j83.shtml
rocketman

buz

Postby buz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi
Thanks for the heads up
Shame as its a rare beast a RTR loco from north of the border.
I ordered A complete Light Railway Train consisting of a 03 diesel and two Mk1's instead.
I know its modern image
Well as far as light railways are concerned it is and it does give me a bit of variety as to what I can do without compromising the light railway image of the railway.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:10 pm

go for anything but the J83!!!! ive never had one but we keep having to send the old smokey sets back at work as they are failing left right and centre. the terriers are great little locos as are the J94's. the bachmann jinties, panniers, prairies, 56xx and ivatt 2mt are great locos too. strong and they look superb.
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 pm

RubyRubyRuby

Postby RubyRubyRuby » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:06 am

I think hornby should tool up a brand new J83 it would be nice to have some more decent small tank locos ,it would be somthing diffrent .thay could also do that J36 that thay was thinking of making back in 1980.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 am

Memtion it to the Hornby staff directly at shows, or to their rep if you happen to catch him in a shop. Bachmann have made away with the 57xx and 3FT Jinty which were the two commonest 0-6-0Ts, and are on the move on 0-6-0s with the LMS 3F coming. Hornby could really use some more six coupled and smaller tanks in their range to the standard of the M7 and Q1. And there are plenty to choose from, especially if they put the 'regional coverage' hat on, as they did with the M7 and Q1.

Russ

Postby Russ » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:27 pm

I have had a J83 for best part of 15 years and had few problems with it. i would run it more but it hasn't got a body or couplings :roll:
Russ

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:29 pm

I have a huge fondness for the J83s but I know why some people hate their crudity and I wish they were much better.
I wish the major manufacturers would stop milking us and make some simple improvements to the chassis and the body. I also do not understand (unless it is to do with witless consumers (us) of inadequate or reliveried supermodels such as A4s and Duchesses and Kings etc), why they have not yet produced, nor we demanded, a much better range of serviceable workaday models.
Now must be the time, and they have a long wish list from many years, to satisfy.
For the meantime I have ceased to buy their offerings (may buy a 3F as that is the sort of type I want)
rocketman

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:56 am

This may be of some use/interest: my review of the Hornby J83

Regards,
Gavin

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”