Hornby 31 chassis.

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Peterm

Hornby 31 chassis.

Postby Peterm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:25 am

I've just posted my chassis back to Hornby so they can swap over all the gubbins. They offered to send out a bare chassis so that I could do the work, but when I looked at it properly, I chickened out. I know I'd have been ok doing it, but the tiny solder joints that were needed might have been too small for my poor ol' mince pies.

I've also asked them to have a look at the couplings, because they were derailing stock on bends.. not sharp bends, but pretty moderate.

So all in all, it looks like they now have the new chassis in stock, so you should get in touch if you need a replacement because of the damage that's been written about.
Pete.

sishades

Re: Hornby 31 chassis.

Postby sishades » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:34 am

The chassis on the 31 has had a very bad reputation with the metal cracking. Hornby have to my knowledge not yet identified why this happened, but credit where credit is due when I returned my ebay purchase of a 31 they sent me a brand new model.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:10 am

According to the Hornby forum and Hornby it's down to impurities in the Mazak metal used for the casting, causing cystalisation in the metal leading to the metal degrading and eventually fracutres and powdering of the metal. If you are after a 31 leave the early ones in the shop.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 am

son of triangman wrote:According to the Hornby forum and Hornby it's down to impurities in the Mazak metal used for the casting, causing cystalisation in the metal leading to the metal degrading and eventually fracutres and powdering of the metal. If you are after a 31 leave the early ones in the shop.

I have one of the early ones, R2424 D5512 Class 30, since new and it hasn't experienced any of the above problems you've quoted Triangman.
It was the later batches of the earlier models that have the problems with the chassis's, not the original release.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:11 am

Sounds like you have been lucky K9-70. The early batches did suffer from the fault, I agree the original release first batch was ok, but later early batches had the problem. If you see one of the early release ones leave it in the shop.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

The current issue of the 31 should be fine.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”