Hornby Britannia class query

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Speed Whisker

Hornby Britannia class query

Postby Speed Whisker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Can anyone tell me if the later Hornby Britannia class locos have traction tyres fitted? By later, I mean loco driven as opposed to tender driven. (Locos such as Robin Hood and Apollo).
I really can't see that they would, as large steam loco traction tyres were usually only fitted to the tender when the loco was tender driven (as far as I know) and it would seem a bit pointless fitting them to a tender that wasn't the 'driving force'.
I just want to make 100% sure as I'm thinking of getting one but I doubt if I will if traction tyres are present on the loco or tender.
I would go for Bachmann to be honest but I don't think they've released a Britannia class lately.
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

Martin71

Re: Hornby Britannia class query

Postby Martin71 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi

No traction tires at all fitted on the new models that appeared in the last 3 or so years. Now I can say without a shadow of a doubt here that this loco is one of Hornby's finest builds. The loco oozes class and quality.

It is loco driven, 5 pole motor plenty of weight over the drive wheels, and is an excellent runner. It has a beautifully detailed cab and valve gear.

The tender is very well built, with pick ups and has 2 coupling settings.

Simply put an outstanding model.

From another point of view because it is such a highly detailed model it can be a bit of a pain to work on. You got to be careful removing the body to put a decoder in but the latest Brits you can put the decoder in the tender.

Highly recommended I have a nice collection of the new Brit class.

I would suggest going down to the local hobby shop and having a look at this superb model and decide for yourself.

Hope that helps.

martin

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks for the info Martin. Unfortunately, I don't have a local model shop to go to so it's online purchasing only. I found a website yesterday that still has Apollo and Robin Hood in stock for £85 without DCC. I'm not a DCC user anyway so I'll not be fitting it.
I've always liked the Britannia class and did have the Hornby model in the 1970s which was tender driven and not nearly as detailed as the current ones.

Regards. Rob.
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:24 pm

You could do a lot worse than the 7P6F "Robin Hood" for £85 Rob :wink:
Got 5 of this class
70000 Britannia coverted from Hereward',
70013 Oliver Cromwell from Robin Hood,
70038 Robin Hood,
70045 Lord Rowallan & 70008 Black prince in my Norfolkman set.
Some stunning detail,so you'll see why you're paying the money :wink:

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Well I'm out of luck. I phoned the website and they're out of stock of the Robin Hood Britannia (I'm not surprised at that price).
Had a trawl round the 'net and it seems everywhere else is the same except for one or two model shop sites that have it priced at well over £100.
I suppose this is what happens when you stay away from model railways for any length of time as I have. :(

I'll keep looking though.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Nice to see others who rate the Brit so highly. Joint equal with the Clan as the best steam model in Hornby's range, because of the heavy loco drive chassis these two models share. The further improvement of DCC socket in tender that came in with the Clan just ices the cake. A really good feature is the well designed screw together chassis construction. For those who need even more traction it is simple to remove the large cast ballast weight, and use lead instead for its greater density. The motor and drive train is perfectly well up to the task. It can also be lightly modified to incorporate the flanged trailing truck wheel which looks so much better, and the model will still go around 30" radius curves.

The asking price is fair (there are significantly inferior models offered for the same money) but if looking for a bargain (and who isn't?) it may be worth looking out for split locos from sets made for the mail order catalogues, which have in previous years typically surfaced during the summer months at very advantageous prices. Bought the three I have this way, for a total less than the current RRP for one. They didn't come in a regular box, but in a rather nicer (in my opinion) open topped box, in the usual foam packaging. Since I am not a collector the packaging is of no interest, just the fine model.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:36 pm

I never bought one (not my interest area/period) but I hear what you say and applaud it!
go for it!
rocketman

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Phipps wrote:You could do a lot worse than the 7P6F "Robin Hood" for £85 Rob :wink:
Got 5 of this class
70000 Britannia coverted from Hereward',
70013 Oliver Cromwell from Robin Hood, snip

Where do you source your substitute decals Phipps? I recently acquired several of the recent production detailed Hornby rebuilt WC and BoB Class at pricing too good to refuse, of which I'd like to have a crack at renaming a couple.

steviesparx

Postby steviesparx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:24 am

Speed Whisker wrote:Well I'm out of luck. I phoned the website and they're out of stock of the Robin Hood Britannia (I'm not surprised at that price).
Had a trawl round the 'net and it seems everywhere else is the same except for one or two model shop sites that have it priced at well over £100.
I suppose this is what happens when you stay away from model railways for any length of time as I have. :(

Well, as it happens I do have a Brittania, 'Black Prince' which is mint, if you're interested in 'nearly new'...
Unboxed as it was from a train pack bought a couple of years back, 'Norfolkman' if I remember correctly...
It is, as others have suggested, a stunning model and on the few occasions I've had it out, a great runner...
Let me know if of interest...

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks for your offer Steviesparx. I'll keep looking for another day or so but if I don't have any luck - and I probably won't - I'll wait until Hornby release Owen Glendower around June or July.
I really wanted the name Robin Hood though as well as the Britannia loco it's on as I think that name sounds brilliant for a loco.
I might (and might be able to) change the name plate in the future but that's as far as I would attempt and would just have to live with it having the wrong number on the cab side as changing the number is not something I'd attempt.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Biggles-I get them from a guy up in Ayr called Jim Grindlay.If the Mods' don't mind me advertising it,I can post you up a link to his website,but you can also get some of them straight via Ebay
http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/Gold_Product_List.php
The only factors to bear in mind are that he's quite a busy chap,he asks customers to be patient,so he'd prefer them not to be telephoning a day or two after ordering.But the goods will turn up within 4-5 days after you make your order.
The other factor is that much of what he produces is post-Nationalisation,so you won't find much in the way of decals with LNER,LMS or Southern railways numbers etc(ie: Flying Scotsman is 60103 not 4472,Mallard is 60022 not 4468 & Duchess of Hamilton is 46229).
His stock of Britannia nameplates/decals is superb though :wink:

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:36 pm

steviesparx wrote:
Speed Whisker wrote:Well I'm out of luck. I phoned the website and they're out of stock of the Robin Hood Britannia (I'm not surprised at that price).

Well, as it happens I do have a Brittania, 'Black Prince' which is mint, if you're interested in 'nearly new'...
Unboxed as it was from a train pack bought a couple of years back, 'Norfolkman' if I remember correctly...
It is, as others have suggested, a stunning model and on the few occasions I've had it out, a great runner...
Let me know if of interest...

Talk about irony.........
You wouldn't believe it,but I went & got another Norfolkman set earlier this year,cos mine had the tender-driven John O'Gaunt.I got the trainpack(sans Black Prince) & added 70012 as I'd picked this up loose from a car-boot.
As it goes,the set I replaced it with is REALLY nice with a low number cert inside & the other spare one is with my Dad,who loves it to bits(he lives in Sheringham where the Norfolkman train used to run to from London).

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Phipps wrote:Biggles-I get them from a guy up in Ayr called Jim Grindlay.If the Mods' don't mind me advertising it,I can post you up a link to his website,but you can also get some of them straight via Ebay
http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/Gold_Product_List.php
The only factors to bear in mind are that he's quite a busy chap,he asks customers to be patient,so he'd prefer them not to be telephoning a day or two after ordering.But the goods will turn up within 4-5 days after you make your order.
The other factor is that much of what he produces is post-Nationalisation,so you won't find much in the way of decals with LNER,LMS or Southern railways numbers etc(ie: Flying Scotsman is 60103 not 4472,Mallard is 60022 not 4468 & Duchess of Hamilton is 46229).
His stock of Britannia nameplates/decals is superb though :wink:

I may well find this link useful in the future as well so thanks for posting it Phipps. :)

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:51 pm

I've now just located and ordered a Robin Hood Britannia loco over the phone so all's well that ends well. :D

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Fantastic SW,I'm really pleased you tracked one down in the end('scuse the pun).
Funny the subject of renaming arose,as I've just completed my Sir Pelleas 30778/Lamiel 30777 conversion.
Sticking with Britannias & Rbin Hood,I ought to give mine a run out.....

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”