hornby curved points

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Bufferstop

Re: hornby curved points

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Yes the Peco settrack ones are much better, but watch out if you have any Hornby 6 wheel motor bogies or tender drives. The floating middle wheels will either try to go their own way or short out on the point blades.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

ODRAILS

Postby ODRAILS » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 pm

I tried a pair of Hornby curved points which came in Hornby cardboard pouches and numbered R8074& R8075 and one PECO setrack equivalent curved point with the same dimensions but half my Hornby and Bachmann locos derailed on these.

I later saw some Hornby curved points with packaging also marked as R8074/5 which looked far less sharp than the ones I’d previously tried so I bought a pair and found that all my locos ran through these OK.
I still had the old PECO curved point and when I compared them with the new Hornby ones it was obvious that the new ones had larger radii.
So, it seems that at some point (!) Hornby and PECO changed the geometry of their curved points to that shown in recent catalogues.
The old curved points are shorter and the inner radius appear equivalent to radius 1 and the new are equivalent to radius 2.
Ian

daleks04

Postby daleks04 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:03 pm

so

peco then?

:D
Always face the sun...That way any shadows fall behind you...

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Wed May 12, 2010 7:18 pm

ODRAILS wrote:The old curved points are shorter and the inner radius appear equivalent to radius 1 and the new are equivalent to radius 2.

I've had my hornby curved points for 6 years and they are 2nd radius inside a it fits easily onto 2nd radius track and it won't fit on 1st radius track!

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed May 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi
According to the Hornby track geometry plan their curved points fit into 2nd & 3rd radius.
http://static.hornby.com/files/track-geometry-2008-425.pdf
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Wed May 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Flashbang wrote:According to the Hornby track geometry plan their curved points fit into 2nd & 3rd radius.
http://static.hornby.com/files/track-geometry-2008-425.pdf

well both of mine fit into them. Maybe there was a flaw in a the curved points a few years ago? (where the track is made)

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Fri May 14, 2010 9:35 pm

i am fairly sure that years ago ( decades! ) that peco curved points were 1st radius. they later changed to 2nd radius the same as hornby. or maybe???? it was hornby that were 1st radius and they changed them to 2nd like peco. but there were definitely 2 different radii of set track curved points at some stage.

naugytrax

Postby naugytrax » Sat May 15, 2010 12:16 am

If you come across Peco points with first radius curves on the inside, they are from the Setrack range (ST-242 or ST-243), and are built to different dimensions from the Streamline curved points. On Setrack,the spacing of the check rails and the wing rails is wider, and locos and stock with modern wheels are liable to climb the frog or fall into it. I believe that Setrack was intended to be equivalent to Hornby track of the time, but there never was a Hornby curved point this sharp! (I'm going back in my catalogs to the introduction of System 6, and earlier to Super 4.)
It can perhaps be misleading to assume that either type of Peco track is the same as Hornby track, or that Peco Setrack is the same as "set track".
Humphrey

daleks04

Postby daleks04 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:40 pm

so overall which ones???
:D im edging to peco as they have a less dead zone :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat May 15, 2010 4:29 pm

naugytrax wrote:If you come across Peco points with first radius curves on the inside, they are from the Setrack range (ST-242 or ST-243)

There's one quick way to tell Peco settrack from Streamline points. Settrack have a slot in the end sleepers below the fishplate. Streamline points have unbroken flat sleepers and come without fishplates.

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Sun May 16, 2010 9:32 am

naugytrax wrote:If you come across Peco points with first radius curves on the inside, they are from the Setrack range (ST-242 or ST-243), and are built to different dimensions from the Streamline curved points. On Setrack,the spacing of the check rails and the wing rails is wider, and locos and stock with modern wheels are liable to climb the frog or fall into it. I believe that Setrack was intended to be equivalent to Hornby track of the time, but there never was a Hornby curved point this sharp! (I'm going back in my catalogs to the introduction of System 6, and earlier to Super 4.)
It can perhaps be misleading to assume that either type of Peco track is the same as Hornby track, or that Peco Setrack is the same as "set track".

I was doing a "census" of points I have for my layout, and laying a Peco Settrack curved point over the Hornby curved one the geometry was identical, although the Peco was much finer around the frog area.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

ODRAILS

Postby ODRAILS » Thu May 20, 2010 9:45 am

Here's a picture of the PECO setrack curved point to which I referred in my previous posting and the latest Hornby R8075 curved point. I think everyone will see the difference in radii !
The Hornby one is fine - the PECO (and the earlier Hornby ones) derail a large proportion of my locos.
Ian
Attachments
points2.jpg
points2.jpg (275.79 KiB) Viewed 1261 times

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu May 20, 2010 10:36 am

My guess is that they both changed their curved points just after they had introduced 3rd radius curves. Prior to that they only had the option of 2nd to 1st.

daleks04

Postby daleks04 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:38 pm

toook the risk...........................

i bought a HORNBY curved point, which looked new and had the number R8075 M on the back. i tried this and all 0-6-0s and 0-4-0s cpuld get through, i dont reallt have a longer RUNNING wheelbase loco, so i tried pushing a hornby castle class loco over the point. i had to use bachmanns underground ernie circle, to pull, thomas and bill to push, which just got the loco over. it ran ok through the point,but as it is a non runner, and the pony trucks are slightly broken, i am not sure on how longer wheelbase locos will react!

anyone ran any longer locos over this point?? the pullman carriges seemed to hande the point without a bump at all!! :D

amarjot :D

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:37 pm

I picked up a peco setrack plan book yesterday and the curved points are defiantly meant to fit between 2nd and 3rd radius curves. I plan to use these on a crossover soon so ill keep you posted.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”