hornby curved points

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
daleks04

hornby curved points

Postby daleks04 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:48 pm

hi,

is it wise to use hornby curved points?

thanks

amarjot :D
Always face the sun...That way any shadows fall behind you...

Dad-1

Re: hornby curved points

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:12 am

Is it wise ? That depends on how essential it is to use them for whatever track plan you have.

I would suggest that if you run short wheelbase locos you'll probably experience more stalling on the dead frog. This is simply because there's a longer dead section so watch out if you run 0-4-0's. I do have a curved point (Peco) although just as a spare so haven't actual experience of running over them.

I have read on here of derailing problems, but this is because sometimes the small extra curved piece of track needed to fit between two curves on a curve crossover is not used or not well lined up. So unless you just have to I would try not to use them.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

sishades

Postby sishades » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:02 am

I had some Hornby curved points on my layout and suffered terrible derailing problems. I ripped them out and replaced them with stright points.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

rb277170

Postby rb277170 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:55 pm

I was same as Sishades. I ended up removing them as mainly my Bachmann and Heljan locos kept derailing , although also some Hornby ones. I have a Virgin Voyager that derailed every time going through them. Having said that my curved points had plastic frogs I note the newer ones have metal ones (althought still self isolating)- these may be better. My advice would be if you can get away without using them then stay clear, but if not try one and see before plunging in. After all they are not inexpensive!

Russell

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:39 pm

i have experience of one, when my grandfather build the hornby trackmat layout. We never had problems with it, personally I'd use one if it makes the difference between a good and a great layout, and having points on curves gives you freedom to do what you want with straights!

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 pm

I specifically wanted curved crossovers on my layout: they were an intregal part of the design. I was warned (by an article on this very website) about derailing on Hornby curved points, so I used Peco ones. No problems.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:35 pm

I've had no end of trouble with curved points, not laid as a crossover, that works fine...I have a third laid beyond that which means that I have two curved points toe to toe. The inner routes when they are laid like this is actually tighter through the blades than first radius (I checked) which results in all but a few models avaliable can actually get through without derailing, the fix for this was to seperate the two toe to toe points with a 3rd radius half curve, but even then longer wheelbase stock still has a tendancy to derail. Not a problem for me as it is the entrance to a colliery where the largest stock running through this point layout is a HAA hopper, but Mk3 coaches are still an absolute no go, as are a handful of locomotives.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:22 pm

As per (some) previous posts, i've suffered no end of trouble with my curved point, to the point where its been lifted. If you really want to lay one, you can have mine!

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:30 pm

dubdee1000 wrote:As per (some) previous posts, i've suffered no end of trouble with my curved point, to the point where its been lifted. If you really want to lay one, you can have mine!

Is this a Hornby or Peco point? I'm a bit spooked by all this as I was planning to have several curved points on my layout.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Peco

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:25 pm

The curved points are quite useful if you want the area to start at the curve. the curved point on my layout is quite good on the derailing list and works really well.

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

mrr9

Postby mrr9 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:24 pm

I have a number on my layout

the only problem is certian wagon or coaches beeing pulled by a class 50 or 31 some times come off the track due to the way the copulings work on these trains

Mark

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:45 pm

I have tended to keep curved points as converging crossovers, where I do use them as diverging crossovers I try to make sure the normal path of the train is over the wider radius curve.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:03 am

Anyone know how the Peco streamline curved points go? Much wider radius than the Hornby or Peco Settrack ones, so I'd hope less likely to derail.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

Bluesky

Postby Bluesky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:16 am

ngresley wrote:Anyone know how the Peco streamline curved points go? Much wider radius than the Hornby or Peco Settrack ones, so I'd hope less likely to derail.

Like chalk and cheese. Never had a problem with Peco curved points whereas stock would continually derail or short on the Hornby ones especially 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 varieties or certain wagons when shunting.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”