London 2012 Train Pack

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
son of triangman

Re: London 2012 Train Pack

Postby son of triangman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:32 am

upon which it will be left to rust
You are most likely right there Sishades. As for the model it probably sit in a cabinet of a box collector on display for the rest of it's life. Run it and the traction tyres will shred, fly off, disintigrate like the normal 395 model or the motor will go phut like the normal model. As Campaigner nicely puts it, it's a model I can wait for, wait forever that is. It won't be going into my collection any time soon.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:25 am

It is only marginally outstripped in ugliness by the class 70 :P :lol: :D :) :twisted:
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

stevebar

Postby stevebar » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:39 am

coloured in by my two-year-old lad

These designs will have cost a huge amount of money. Some firm of image consultants (or similarly titled bunch of tricksters/conmen) will have convinced/persuaded the similarly inclined bunch of tricksters/conmen that run the train company that these designs were wonderful.
Remember the idiotic logos that were plastered across the tails of BA aircraft a few years ago, and the redesign of the BP logo?

Everything connected with the 2012 olympics will be massively expensive and vastly overpriced, as large numbers of opportunists seek to cash in.

Who will be paying? Yep, you guessed it. The taxpayer and the ratepayers of London, who will be paying for this beanfeast for decades to come.

Notice how Seb Coe has been out of the news for a long time?

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:47 pm

Metadyneman wrote:It is only marginally outstripped in ugliness by the class 70 :P :lol: :D :) :twisted:

get off.. :P :P

class 70 is good, just put a silly livery on it that makes it look a funny shape.

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:40 pm

egroeg93 wrote:
Metadyneman wrote:It is only marginally outstripped in ugliness by the class 70 :P :lol: :D :) :twisted:

get off.. :P :P

class 70 is good, just put a silly livery on it that makes it look a funny shape.

The camera never lies, it is a funny shape :lol:

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:47 pm

I seem to remember them being decidedly ugly long before Freightliner somehow managed to make them look worse by highlighting the offending areas with dayglow yellow paint! Saying that they are growing on me, I've learned their noise well and truly now so when I hear one coming I just turn away, or don't bother to look. I'm starting to think that they should be nicknamed 'Medusa', because you're better off looking away :lol:

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:18 pm

stevebar wrote:
coloured in by my two-year-old lad

These designs will have cost a huge amount of money. Some firm of image consultants (or similarly titled bunch of tricksters/conmen) will have convinced/persuaded the similarly inclined bunch of tricksters/conmen that run the train company that these designs were wonderful.
Remember the idiotic logos that were plastered across the tails of BA aircraft a few years ago, and the redesign of the BP logo?

Everything connected with the 2012 olympics will be massively expensive and vastly overpriced, as large numbers of opportunists seek to cash in.

Who will be paying? Yep, you guessed it. The taxpayer and the ratepayers of London, who will be paying for this beanfeast for decades to come.

Notice how Seb Coe has been out of the news for a long time?

A lot of these vastly-overpaid "Image/Design" pillocks all hark back to the Saatchis.You wouldn't have had so many of these none-entities if they hadn't appeared on the scene in the late 70s/early 80s.While I wouldn't blame them solely,they didn't exactly help.Did as much good as Stock Aitken & Waterman's contribution to British Music that Cowell has only made steadily worse still.
But enough about social commentary...........Sorry :oops:

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:50 pm

son of triangman wrote:It looks like the Hitatchi 395 Javelin. I won't be bothering with it unless they sort out the Javelins tendancy to shred and shed it's traction tyres.

I have to whole heartily agree with you SoT.
In 2010 no new loco, DMU or EMU should ever have Traction tyres fitted!
The use of the correct motor/gearing and added weight is all that necessary!
:D :D :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Mrs Dubdee suprised me with one of these for my birthday. I wouldn't have said it was on the top of my list of 'wants' but having got it out of the box, it looks pretty good on the layout. Its better than the Rapier, but at double the price, so it should be.

Performance is as you may expect. Very noisy buzz on a DCC circuit (lenz), but runs ok and not bad at slow speeds. Will chip it later. Box does not give the impression it is DCC ready. Seems to have a rather crude motor with traction tyres on both wheels on one axle (ie, not diagonal). Biggest problem with it that it shorted the circuit until it was run in. Fine once moving, but every time the unit was stationary, it shorted everything. After 30 minutes of 75% power, this seems to be cured, but the room is filled with a less-then-wonderful-smell of warm oil.

I suspect that Hornby's intention for these is more for collectors and memorabilia than working models

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:37 pm

i saw a whole shelf of these in toys "R" us the other day, not asingle one had sold!. also, it was lined up against an exact same set but with normal livery. the 2012 one was 10 pounds cheaper. hhmmm :?:
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”