Surprise inside a Castle

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Bigmet

Surprise inside a Castle

Postby Bigmet » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:51 am

Having finally got around to one of Hornby's new Castles, I am suitably impressed by it as a model. They really have gone to town on it (but I expect the magazine reviewers have already dribbled all over that aspect) but here's the surprise as far as I was concerned. Since they already had a perfectly good running chassis under the previous model, I expected to find this unit slightly upgraded under the new model; no traction tyres, better bogie mounting and tender coupling, that sort of thing. But actually it is very clearly an all new design chassis, with a different motor from what is usual in their steam models. (Just a guess here, that same motor will probably turn up in the 28XX family locos, since it is clearly easier to fit in the rather narrow space in GWR boilers.)

The decoder socket in the tender and four pin wired connection is well done too. Two minutes easy work to remove the tender top, plug in the decoder and arrange it neatly, then replace the tender top. A really good example of making decoder installation simple. It has taken a while, but other than tank engines, here's hoping that most new introductions have this style of decoder socket arrangement, as it makes life so much easier.

Martin71

Re: Surprise inside a Castle

Postby Martin71 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Bigmet

I was on the opposite side of the fence to you. Yes I agree wonderful chassis great motor all you could wish for except where do all the other electronics I like to add in the loco like lights smoke etc. I cannot even get a second speaker in without major work.

It is the same motor and interior setup as the new 4MT Hornby did.

Dont get me wrong very well built and 99.9% will never pull the loco apart but for me its a real pain.

m

Bigmet

Re: Surprise inside a Castle

Postby Bigmet » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks for the hint about the motor in the 4MT, not a model I have looked at, no use for my modelling interest at all.

You will just have ot get the saw out Martin, to take a chunk off the ballast weight! I will probably give mine that treatment, so I can pack lead in to bring the weight up.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”