Would you like syncrosmoke with your locos?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).

Would you like syncrosmoke with your locos if Hornby re-introduced it?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:41 am

Yes
45%
No
48%
Maybe
3%
What's Syncrosmoke?
5%

Total votes: 40

kiwitram

Re: Would you like syncrosmoke with your locos?

Postby kiwitram » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:08 pm

I would; it looks great and is probbably cheaper than live steam(?) The only problem that I would have is the fact that I only have 3 0-4-0s and it doesn't fit. :(

Please do it Hornby !!

kieran

rb277170

Postby rb277170 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Probably fry any chips that were in there!

Used to have synchrosmoke on Jinty, B12 and Princess Elizabeth. Loved it , but it was a bit of a gimmick. Found that when oil ran out that I just ran them as normal. So overall not really bothered

Russell

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:05 am

Hi

I love the concept of synchronous smoke and I have plenty of smoke units in my locos. Mind you I voted "no" because I dont want 1960's technology in my loco. I want it updated to suit DCC.

I want the option to switch on/off when I want and to be able to control the rate of smoke. I have built my own fan forced syncro units and to be fair here who ever does it for OO will have a major job on their hands.

As much as I want it I just cannot see it happening.

Martin

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Tue May 25, 2010 5:46 pm

i emailed hornby about syncrosmoke and this is what they replied (this is a quote from the email and my name has been replaced with my username)

Honrby Railways wrote:Dear Hobby Boy,

Thank you for your email.

Hornby have no plans to re-introduce this product in this years range.

Your request has been noted and entered in to our future product database.

This database is where we obtain all future ranges from so hopefully in the future we will produce the request that you've asked for.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further requests you may have in the future. As we really do need to know what you are customers would like to see in the future.

Kind regards

Customer Care

Shame really, i would have liked them in my locos as it was better then the other smoke units they used to produce (Seuthe was it) well lets hope they do bring it out :D

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu May 27, 2010 8:45 pm

I have mixed feelings about smoke on model locos.. to me it has to look right if it has any hope of looking real and in my view there is no amount of oil based white smoke that can replicate the real sooty grey smoke of a steam engine. Having said this, a model loco puffing at least something out of a chimney does give the impression of a working engine rather than an electric motor driving a set of wheels along. The big problem is cost. To put a decent digitally controlled smoke unit into an engine would probably put it out of reach of most people's pockets and if you want sound too then you are looking at possibly trebling the cost of the loco itself. The Triang-Hornby "Synchrosmoke" was a very ingenious device which utilised the XO4 motor to drive a piston which pushed smoke out of the smoke chamber. On the downside it leaked everywhere and contributed to the early demise of vital plastic components within the loco itself such as motion brackets, cylinders and even the body mountings.. I would therefore have to give it the thumbs down.
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 pm

I would rather have smoke than sound. After all I have spare loudspeakers and there are many other sound options available. Synchrosmoke was a great addition to the realism (even though it isn't really realistic, it worked well enough.)
I don't really understand why this is not a major preoccupation of model manufacturers as it is perhaps the major part of the individual experience of steam locos (cough, and diesels)
rocketman

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Fri May 28, 2010 5:17 pm

I totally agree it would be nice to see smoke back in our locos and syncrosmoke is about as good as it gets for our scale, the earlier seuthe units did do the job but got very hot and er um melted chimneys. Perhaps someone could produce a coloured smoke oil to produce that dirty sooty smoke look to use with syncrosmoke, just an idea?

Syncrosmoke smoke units only leaked oil when the smoke unit securing screw wasn't done up properly. This caused sepage of oil onto the chassis and other parts. Over a long time(years) if left unattended the smoke unit had the habit of working slightly loose causing minor wear around the casting bottom screw hole and thus causing an oil leak. Plus the piston if was left unlubricated it would cause wear in the cylinder and small quantities of oil would be pulled through the air injection hole and sprayed over the inside of the loco. Other than that the system worked well. Kept maintained and serviced regularly the syncrosmoke units gave very good service with little bother.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Fri May 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Forgot to say overfilling with smoke oil also caused oil leakage problems. Cost I would say as Metadyneman points out would be the main reason for Hornby not reintroducing it that and Hornby would be embarrsed by having to re-introduce an old product that could be superior with their existing chimney melting smoke unit. Shame really I would sooner have a loco having smoke of some sort puffing out of the chimney or out diseasel exhaust rather than the dead lifeless boxes of today.

Wonder if anyones fitting a syncrosmoke style system to a diseasel???????

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Fri May 28, 2010 8:32 pm

son of triangman wrote:Syncrosmoke smoke units only leaked oil when the smoke unit securing screw wasn't done up properly. This caused sepage of oil onto the chassis and other parts. Over a long time(years) if left unattended the smoke unit had the habit of working slightly loose causing minor wear around the casting bottom screw hole and thus causing an oil leak....... Kept maintained and serviced regularly the syncrosmoke units gave very good service with little bother.

True ......I have three synchro smoke locos and I occassionally remove the loco body and give the "works" a good clean.

son of triangman wrote:....... the main reason for Hornby not reintroducing it that and Hornby would be embarrsed by having to re-introduce an old product that could be superior with their existing chimney melting smoke unit.

True again .....I've also got three old Hornby smoke unit locos .....all six of my "smokers" are over [at least] twenty years old,and none of them have melted chimneys.
On the other hand ......I have a three year old Chinese made Hornby GWR 28xx .....I disconnected [and removed] the smoke unit ....as it was melting the loco chimney and being tender drive it was just hopeless when/if the track is'nt squeaky clean.

Thats progresss I s'pose :roll: [not ] :evil:

T.
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri May 28, 2010 8:53 pm

I think that personal (to a loco) smoke is almost essential to best realistic atmosphere. Yes I know they usually run at far greater than scale speeds and time doesn't change unless timetabled (as if it would not be except for exact scale)

Nonetheless, I think that smoke is the best model addition possible in a loco. I think you can add sound more generically. The smoke comes from a chimney and the sound comes from a place (under the baseboard). I really don't know why the manufacturers haven't worked it out already!

So, what I really want is a new generation of the old Triang synchrosmoke units, well done, not necessarily to scale, but giving a good impressionistic result. And no melted chimneys!

And Triang did not charge through the nose for them either! I want this more than DCC, which I also like but not for my whole layout.
I have far to many prior investments in railway models to change everything for some new computer driven stuff, even if it has advantages for many.
I saw a steam loco this afternoon on the Soton to B'Mouth line which was exhibiting such behaviour. and pulling some 'Heritage' diesel (I know not why`) ..it smelt great!...we need more such aromatherapy!
rocketman

poliss

Postby poliss » Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 am

Synchronised smoke is still alive and well.......just not in the UK. In the US Broadway Limited Imports has the Paragon2 locomotives with synchronised smoke and DCC sound. See it in operation on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boo_CXpVNuw

DCC isn't new anymore. It's been around since 1991. Britain used to lead the world in model railway tecnology. You would think, from reading some of the replies, that it's the work of the Devil.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sat May 29, 2010 5:30 am

It looks fab.

Mind you they could be breaking patent law. Syncrosmoke and syncrosnised smoke was patented worldwide by Tri-ang-Hornby and Hornby still hold the rights.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:44 am

poliss wrote: . Britain used to lead the world in model railway tecnology..

Once, very briefly, with Zero1... other than that we've done a good job at catch-up over the years! :wink:

poliss

Postby poliss » Sat May 29, 2010 1:44 pm

No SOT, they wouldn't be breaking patent law because patents only last for a maximum of 20 years.
b308, were not Rovex the first to use plastic injection moulding for mass pruduced model railways?

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Sat May 29, 2010 2:09 pm

poliss wrote:No SOT, they wouldn't be breaking patent law because patents only last for a maximum of 20 years.

However if it has been registered and copyrighted, then copying it is breaking the law.
Something like that anyway, will protect Tri-ang/Hornby's invention of smoking loco's.

Ian

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”