hornby percy and toby dying?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Phipps

Re: hornby percy and toby dying?

Postby Phipps » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:54 am

I apologise if I'm still on about the Spencer A4 but I noticed this
http://www.hornby.com/thomas-161/r9257/product.html
Somehow,there appears to have been somewhat of a loss in translation between this picture & the finished product.The character's definately NOT silver,but more of a pale grey.It's actually a good thing,because the character is meant to be a pale grey as per the one portrayed in the series/books etc :wink:

daleks04

Postby daleks04 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:49 pm

i agree completely with the statement which says that these are fictional characters and that hornbys range is as good as bachmanns! :D
Always face the sun...That way any shadows fall behind you...

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:17 pm

I think that Bachmann's Toby is much better.
rocketman

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:24 pm

They were fictional, but based on prototypes. Hornby used whatever they could find from their then current range to make them. I mostly prefer the Bachmann interpretaions, though I grant you, this is entirely based on my personal preferences. My major problem with the H ones is that they are far too big (to fit existing H mechanisms, whereas B have at least made some efforts to do something else).
...not that I care very much now as mostly any of mine are for showing to very small people.
and I do not want a silver or grey "Spencer" I want an A4!
rocketman

GunnerBill

Postby GunnerBill » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:11 am

I appreciate the financial imperative for making these "Thomas & friends" Models but I wouldn't be sorry to see shot of the whole stupid range of them. :evil:

steviesparx

Postby steviesparx » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:13 pm

GunnerBill wrote:I appreciate the financial imperative for making these "Thomas & friends" Models but I wouldn't be sorry to see shot of the whole stupid range of them. :evil:

Tut-tut, how very Victor Meldrew...
What about the kids, how better to kindle their interest in 'Model Railways', or do you think Hornby exist purely to serve the interest of 'serious' modellers...?
The boss of Hornby was on BBC2's 'Working Lunch' yesterday, and was explaining how they were competing with games consoles for kids' attention. OK, the London Olympics Javlin model isn't my cup of tea either, but if it gets an interest in the hobby, like the Thomas range, surely that's a good thing ?

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:26 pm

rocketman wrote:They were fictional, but based on prototypes. Hornby used whatever they could find from their then current range to make them. I mostly prefer the Bachmann interpretaions, though I grant you, this is entirely based on my personal preferences. My major problem with the H ones is that they are far too big (to fit existing H mechanisms, whereas B have at least made some efforts to do something else).
...not that I care very much now as mostly any of mine are for showing to very small people.
and I do not want a silver or grey "Spencer" I want an A4!
rocketman

You'd cringe hearing my Alfie when he sees an A4 & goes "Oh look,Spence" everytime he's seen Mallard or SNG.
Fact is he's only just turned 3 & I'd probably only said it was a "choo-choo" at his age.
It's good he associates something to a similar engine at that age & encouraging that he isn't fascinated by games consoles instead TBH.
I agree with Steve,that whatever get's a youngster into the hobby must be a good thing :wink:

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Kids are different (and what a great way for them to start a hobby)
If they go far enough they will understand the difference between Spencer and Mallard
Regards
rocketman

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:50 am

rocketman wrote:Kids are different (and what a great way for them to start a hobby)
If they go far enough they will understand the difference between Spencer and Mallard
Regards
rocketman

Good point.He calls 60007 "Daddy's Spence" whe he sees the pictures on my screensaver :lol:

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”