Idiotic question I know...But?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
auricom

Idiotic question I know...But?

Postby auricom » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 pm

iv just inherited a Hornby Class 153 Central Trains DMU from somebody who was clearing out a load of stuff. It's just 1 car but its powered and DCC fitted. Now as i think it looks a bit odd going round on its own i want to get a second car for it, but they only come in powered units, is it possible to put two powered cars together for them to work ok? Told you it was a stupid question,

Chris
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

sishades

Re: Idiotic question I know...But?

Postby sishades » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:03 pm

With DCC you can attach as many units as you like.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

auricom

Postby auricom » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 pm

I dont have DCC im just running analogue, also i should correct myself its not DCC fitted but DCC ready sorry.
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:33 am

Have you tried e- bay for an unpowered car ? It wont make any difference because it's dcc ready. This simply means a blanking plug is fitted in to a socket, so that you can easily convert it to dcc if you want to, by removing said plug and plugging in a decoder.

If you get another powered car and use it on your layout, you can expect the speed to be reduced, and if you run other Loco's etc with it, you may find the controller cuts out if it hasn't got the amperage required.
Pete.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32 am

On DC (analogue) you can run two powered cars together however, their top speed will be reduced and you should try to make sure they run at around the same speed as each other to help prevent excess wear and tear. In this case you would also have to put up with head and/or tail lights being wrongly lit in the middle of the train, although that won't bother everyone.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Chris,

Just thought I'd add that while I agree, they can look a bit odd running in single units, in real life Class 153s have often been used like that. So in the meantime, while you're waiting to add another unit, you can still run it alone and it would actually be a realistic train (if a little bizarre!) :)

Cheers,

Mick

Bradster 14`

Postby Bradster 14` » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:05 pm

If it's DCC fitted, you can run any amonut together I believe.

martin_l_jones

Postby martin_l_jones » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:06 pm

153's are very often seen with a 156 set, not seen two 153's together but I'm not saying they dont run together.

They do run as single units in Worcester tho'...
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/

sprite.

Postby sprite. » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 am

On the Leeds- Manchester victoria line (Caldervale line afaik) 153's are sometimes attached to 158's as well as 156's.

mixturesweb

Postby mixturesweb » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:06 pm

sprite. wrote:On the Leeds- Manchester victoria line (Caldervale line afaik) 153's are sometimes attached to 158's as well as 156's.

Quite often with 155s aswell
Luke

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”