Sqealing Ringfield Motors

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
47FAN

Sqealing Ringfield Motors

Post by 47FAN »

Hi

Just wanted to ask you guys out there, if any of you have had one of those irritating screams and sqeals on an old (1990s) Hornby ringfield motor. The problem first reared it's ugly head on a Hornby HST and seems to be spreading to other 15 year old locos. What I am totally puzzled by is that after spending lots of time by lubricating, cleaning, taking the cogs out and putting it all back, the sqealing noise has not gone away. The brushes and springs are fine and even fitted new traction tyres. After some prolonged running it seems to go away after about 15 minutes, but then comes back. After several attempts, I am now at a loss as what to do, as this sqealing will not go away.

Would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Paul
K9-70

Re: Sqealing Ringfield Motors

Post by K9-70 »

Very lightly oil both sides of the armature shaft. The shaft/bearing behind the drive gear isn't the easist to oil. Dip a fine paint brush in light oil and allow it to dribble down between the drive gear and unto the bearing surface.
Wipe away excess oil and before refitting the motor to the chassis.
Run at quarter to half speed to allow the light oil to lubicate the bearing surface and all should be okay.
Again check/clean any excess oil away before running it on your layout.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
If the lubrication as mentioned fails to overcome the problem.
You may well find that the small cog fitted onto the motors shaft is slipping. This is particularly true of the white metal type version.
The Brass coloured version doesn't normally slip.
You have two options
1) Obtain a brass replacement cog from spares supplies like East Kent Model or Abbiegails Links below
or
2) Remove old cog, carefully clean and degrease the shaft and cog inside area. Use Meths or Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and then apply a tiny spot of superglue applied by a cocktail stick into the cogs shaft hole. Quickly slid on the cog, so as it meshes with the plastic gears and leave for a couple or so hours.

East Kent Models.
89 High Street, Whitstable, Kent , CT5 1AY
Tel: 01227 770777
Currently no internet

Abbiegails.
http://www.hornbyspares.com/
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
egroeg93

Post by egroeg93 »

Abigails is good website mate ;)

I have a few 90s models, but i dont use em much.. They do have this problem, but i just whack it on full power and the noise goes within 30 secs ;)
mossdp

Post by mossdp »

This tends to happen with these motors as the motor shaft or motor shaft bearings wear and is a very common problem. Frequent oiling of the motor shaft seems to be the only cure. A thicker oil for the motor shaft that is less likely to get thrown off will probably extend periods between oiling.
son of triangman

Post by son of triangman »

Cream or White lithium Grease is often used by the manufacturers for lubrication of motor bearings, indeed the Hornby ringfields were lubricated with this when new, a little of this in the bearing will keep that squeal down a bit. The grease is commonly available for car battery terminals and cycle bearings.
RobLeighton

Post by RobLeighton »

Just to point out that some things never change, Hornby Western with Ringfield bought second hand...
Stationary under power. Nudged it squeals slowly a few feet.
Quick lube job with Gaugemaster Oil and now roaring round the track!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

You say the brushes are fine, how can you tell? If they don't look worn then the graphite could be too hard/have hard particles in it. Use a graphite crayon or4B pencil to cover the copper surfaces of the commutator with graphite, and then use the end of a cocktail stick to clean out any particles from the gaps between the copper segments. As well as the other suggested cures. I averted a threatened walk out by the girls in the office by applying a graphite crayon, blagged from the art room, to the end of a disk drive spindle which had a phosphor bronze earthing spring pressing on it.
Dont tell me "the girls in the office" is a sexist phrase, it was the office at fault having an entirely female staff.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:You say the brushes are fine, how can you tell?...
Whether he knows or not, '47fan ' has been silent these past 6 years or thereabouts...