Problems with fitting electrical pickups on coach wheels

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Re: Problems with fitting electrical pickups on coach wheels

Postby Curler Guy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:34 am

That's interesting to know.
My Friend's parents didn't strike me as being the type that would buy second hand, but maybe that's what it was.

I suppose I'll never know what it was now - the last I heard of him, he was in the local paper being charged with supplying/possession of drugs, so I doubt he still has his train set!! :lol: :roll:

If he did, then I'd be very happy if he supplied me with that instead of whatever it was he was dabbling in.
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:34 am

Triang Hornby released the following Train Pack R644 in 1968,69 & 71;
R644 Inter-City Train (A.E.1 Type AL1 Electric)
Model info: A.E.1 Type AL1 Electric Locomotive plus three Inter-City Second Class Coaches with interior lighting.
No track included, R644 was not released in 1970

For more info on Tri-ang/Triang Hornby & Hornby Railway products from 1952 to 1996 see link below.

http://www.modeltrains.net.au/hornby/

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Postby Curler Guy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks.
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Forgot about the T/H train packs :oops:

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:46 pm

I have just looked at the link provided by Martin 71 [previous page]. If you haven't, do ! It's one of the best illustrated tutorials I've seen, completely demystifying the subject and pointing out potential pitfalls. If only all were like this.....

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:59 pm

K9-70 wrote:Triang Hornby introduced only the Mk2's with lights between 1968 to 1972 in two batches with different running numbers.

1968 & 69
R722 M5032 TSO
R723 M14031 BFK

1970 to 72
R722 M5120 TSO
R723 M14052 BFK

I have a rake of 6 Triang Hornby interior lit TSO coaches with a factory applied number of M5121 without Inter-City branding which would imply that there were more than two batches of these coaches. Any clues as to when these were made K9?
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi Modellers. My question about wheels refers to wagon wheel pick ups. Either RTR or Kit.
I have been reading and writing about extra pick ups for 0-4-0 Locos , but if a RTR or. a Kit has plastic wheels? Then it is a matter of buying the correct wheels, but, who is the best supplier of the wheels that I require?? Without a lot of correspondence ? Happy modelling Kev

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:24 am

Don't know whether or not they are the best, but I use Bachmann coach wheels whenever I make up a coach kit which comes with plastic wheels, or buy old rtr coaches that come with plastic wheels. The Bachmann wheels come in packs of 10 axles, and have "36-033 Turned Coach Wheels (for non=close 8 coupling bogies" on the packet. Having said that, I haven't attempted to have pickups on the coach wheels, and just use metal wheels for better running.

For wagons, I use Dapol wagon wheels. They have been fine for me, although I have seen opinions that rate other products more highly. It might be worth waiting for other recommendations. I bought Dapol because they were available when I made the first wagon kit that needed metal wheels.

If it is a kit, I also use Romford bearings. The slip of paper in the packet says "50 Romford pin-point bearings Shouldered". They aren't that expensive for a packet

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 am

retiredoperator wrote:... My question about wheels refers to wagon wheel pick ups...

You want to fit wheels to wagons for electrical pick up? Try for split axle wheelsets, may be found on some s/h Bachmann wagons and were sold as spares in ten packs, which need a lot of fossicking around to find; and currently on many of the Bachmann's MU's, but haven't seen these sold as separate spares. The benefit with these is the pick up can be made on the pinpoint bearings with no incremental friction.

If you just want metal wagon wheels, then whatever is in stock: Bachmann, Hornby, Markits ('Romford') all good.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 am

I would avoid Dapol wheel packs, I have found many of the wheels in them are concentric and also the flanges are very fine and will derail at the slightest provocation. If you cannot find the wheels Bigmet suggests then make your wipers as fine as you can to reduce friction. Also use solid wheels instead of spoked so you can get the wipers as close to the axle as possible to reduce friction further.

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:41 am

Hi D605Eagle. That is a very good point about the wheels, Iam not a “rivet counter” otherwise the solid wheels would go against the grain. Which reminds me I read somewhere about redundant tenders being converted into match wagons, whether this is correct I don’t know? for short wheelbase Locos that could be lost on signalmans panels? Happy modelling Kev

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:14 am

I've never heard of that but its possible I'm sure. The only one I ever saw in use was just a 9ft skeletal wagon chassis coupled to a class 03 which to me seemed very lightweight considering they were shunting some long rakes of wagons with the loco. I got to ask the driver if it ever derailed and he told me all the time. I asked him how they rerailed it and he said drag it over some points with blocks of wood to ramp up the flanges which they carried in the cab!!!! I know I was only a kid at the time and he might have been ribbing me a bit but I guess it would work.......

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:33 am

Locos too small or light to register on the track circuiting were fairly common. Hamstead colliery (between Bescot and Great Barr stations had a small green diesel "thing" (there was a Rivarossi model of one). Long after it had gone an acquaintance in Hamstead Village had the plate from its cab which read "Not to be allowed on the main line unaccompanied"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TheObserver

Postby TheObserver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Locos too small or light to register on the track circuiting were fairly common. Hamstead colliery (between Bescot and Great Barr stations had a small green diesel "thing" (there was a Rivarossi model of one). Long after it had gone an acquaintance in Hamstead Village had the plate from its cab which read "Not to be allowed on the main line unaccompanied"

Could the described "thing" be one of the items shown half way down this page? Close-up here

Currently showing as "Pre-Order", "Expected February 2018."
Regards, John, TheObserver,
Swansea, south west Wales, UK.
Our local club website:
http://www.srmg.org.uk

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:11 pm

No this thing didn't look as though it would move anything. The body looked like it had been moulded in glass fibres by Reliant, and it was the same ghastly turquoise that the "invalid carriages" were finished in.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”