Class 101

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Julia

Class 101

Postby Julia » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:28 pm

What are peoples views on the Class 101 3 car DMU in BR blue (R2579A)? Can it take NEM couplers? Can I remove the bulky hornby couplers it comes with?

Thanks

Julia

Loftrail

Re: Class 101

Postby Loftrail » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi Julia.

I have the Class 101 in green - R2578 and I think that the only difference is the colour.

The couplings are the old Lima type and are moulded to the bogie. They are big and a bit ugly so on the front end of the power and dummy cars I cut them off with a fine tooth saw and fitted brake pipes and screw couplings to the buffer beam to improve the bare appearence.

This is fine if you don't intend coupling other stock to the unit. However it is a simple job to superglue or epoxy resin a smaller Bachmann type coupling to the bogie if you need to couple up other stock.

I hope this helps --- Loftrail.

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:56 am

Check photos of the actual models (shops such as Hattons or Rails put up multiple close-ups). Later releases from Hornby have tended to replace the bulky couplings with NEM pockets and smaller couplings ON THE MOTOR COACHES ONLY (sorry for shouting but that part needs emphasis). You would still have to do something more drastic on the trailer coaches to swap couplings.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:56 am

SRman wrote:Check photos of the actual models (shops such as Hattons or Rails put up multiple close-ups). Later releases from Hornby have tended to replace the bulky couplings with NEM pockets and smaller couplings ON THE MOTOR COACHES ONLY (sorry for shouting but that part needs emphasis). You would still have to do something more drastic on the trailer coaches to swap couplings.

Not from the photos I've seen of them on Hattons site. They still have the same ugly "D" ring coupler fitted on all ex Lima rolling stock.
It's unlikely that Hornby would have modified the outer power car couplings by fitting NEM pockets to the bogies and left the inner couplings the same standard "D" ring coupling.
The only good thing about the Class 101 is, that's it's got a decent motor fitted.

Bring on Bachmann Class 105 :D

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:15 am

K9-70 wrote:Not from the photos I've seen of them on Hattons site. They still have the same ugly "D" ring coupler fitted on all ex Lima rolling stock.
It's unlikely that Hornby would have modified the outer power car couplings by fitting NEM pockets to the bogies and left the inner couplings the same standard "D" ring coupling.
The only good thing about the Class 101 is, that's it's got a decent motor fitted.
K9-70

Hornby have, indeed been progressively modifying the couplings on motored items. i have deliberately been picking class 73 diesels from the later production for exactly this reason. Similarly, the blue and grey class 121 I bought from Hattons does have the NEM pockets and smaller couplings - the motor bogie and trailing bogie are identical to the class 101, so they could use them, and I believe they have done so on later production 101s. However, having now looked at the R2579A pics on Hattons (and also R2697 and R2698), I agree that this particular model does not have the newer couplings. That's why I suggested checking photos if possible before buying.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:32 am

SRman wrote:
K9-70 wrote:Not from the photos I've seen of them on Hattons site. They still have the same ugly "D" ring coupler fitted on all ex Lima rolling stock.
K9-70

Hornby have, indeed been progressively modifying the couplings on motored items. i have deliberately been picking class 73 diesels from the later production for exactly this reason. Similarly, the blue and grey class 121 I bought from Hattons does have the NEM pockets and smaller couplings - the motor bogie and trailing bogie are identical to the class 101, so they could use them, and I believe they have done so on later production 101s. However, having now looked at the R2579A pics on Hattons (and also R2697 and R2698), I agree that this particular model does not have the newer couplings. That's why I suggested checking photos if possible before buying.

Thanks for that, will have to keep an eye out for the modified Class 101 as I have a pair of Anbrico Class 105 Dmu bodies that needs a pair of chassis's to complete the model.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Just a thought; would the Bachmann class 108 be a better choice for those Anbrico Cravens bodies? Hattons have the NSE two car 108 going for 49 UK Pounds and 3 car blue/grey unit for 58 pounds. With that 3 car unit you would have a choice of power trailer or power twin for the 105. The Bachmann model has NEM pockets.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:50 pm

This has given me fresh impotus( :oops: spelling? :oops: ) to get on to Hornby & suggest they knock out another 101 3-car set in the refurbished white with blue stripe WYPTE livery.
Surely it wouldn't be too risky in terms of shifting units,bearing in mind they did a 110 in these colours in the 1980s & Bachmann did a 108 2-car set recently.
They've done 101s in every other form of livery to date,so why not in the white?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:53 pm

The Chinese made 101's are an improvement overall. They run better as they don't leap off the track like some of the older Margate versions did. I believe mine also has a five pole ringfeld motor. The plastic is not so flexible as the older Margate versions so one has to take greater care not to damage it if opening up the body. The overall appearance of the model was pretty good to begin with before they moved production to China so I have no complaints in this respect. The couplings are easy enough to replace if needed. Over all a nice model and a delight to own.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Are you aware that you're responding to a stale thread Mountain? Arguably archival. Last post prior to yours was January of 2010.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:19 pm

I thought there were some usernames I did not recognise. :D

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Is the venerable Hornby Class 101 is even currently available for sale new any more? Undoubtedly be some still "never run, as new in box" floating around up for sale through the usual outlets. I have a couple of them, one of which falls within in the category expressed in the preceding sentence.

A surprisingly good runner on DCC and analogue both. Lacks the fidelity, heft and detail of Bachmann's, but looks the part standoff nevertheless. Fitting with NEM requires butchery. Not really necessary for any multi-car set between cars for cosmetic purposes unless going uber purist, or unless wanting to be rid the visual blight of the offending outside ends.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:39 pm

My 110 has only had a few test runs to convert it to DCC. I have not had a layout to run it on since I purchased it.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:10 am

I did like the Chinese class 110 with five-pole plus the retooled ex-Lima class 101.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:32 am

Ooh. I am confsing 110's with 101's. I have both. I have Lima 101's as well as they came out with Lima just before Hornby took them over. It's my 110 that is Chinese made...

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”