The Hornby Q1

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Lysander

The Hornby Q1

Postby Lysander » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:07 pm

I've advertised for one of these in the 'wanted' section - but that's not the point of this post [just an utterly shameless link !!!].

I've wanted one for a while but have noticed that they are not exactly abundant. I read today that Hornby had cut back on production of these interesting prototypes and the implication was that they may have caught a cold. I can see that they would have rather less sales-appeal that the 'Scotsman' but, given the then-paucity of real Southern stock, I'd have thought that they would have sold reasonably well.

Does this evidence the significant risks inherent in producing a completely new model ? Is the model-buying public that fickle ? If so, then all the wish lists in the world will not result in a 3F tender loco, a Bulldog or some other esoteric production [with the exception of NRM tie-ins possibly]. Unless, of course, the major producers opt for low-volume and very much more expensive models.

What do you think ? I'd be interested in your views.

Finally, assuming that I can track down a Q1 [at a sensible price !!!] - are there any problems that I need to be aware of ?

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

locoworks

Re: The Hornby Q1

Postby locoworks » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:10 pm

i got a Q1 when they first came out, within a week the lubricator had 'sheared' off, why they would put a metal loop with a sharpish burr around a plastic spigot is beyond me!!, so i decided to remove the whole assembly for ease. anyway, apart from that hiccup it's been OK. :)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:33 pm

The Q1 is a good model from an appearance perspective. Detail parts fell off mine, but have all gone back on neatly. If I had to pick out a feature it would be the under cab framing which is very fine indeed. (The effect is spoiled by Hornby's old type tender coupling. Take this off and fit a replacement plain metal link to get the full benefit.) Performance is good, it pulls smoothly and quietly, will haul a realistic load at the typically slow pace of an unfitted goods. If Hornby were producing it new now, it would doubtless be improved with a DCC socket in the tender and a plug in electrical connection, but this apart it's as good as anything in OO. Cover it in the customary filth and it looks lovely.

If you really want a Southern goods machine, and haven't already got one, the Bachmann N class is a similarly good model. The Q1 and the N are 'it' as far as native Southern goods types available RTR are concerned...

As for the prospects for smaller goods engines, unfortunately the majority of the market is readily seduced by 'eye-candy'. Smaller locos in a plain black livery tend not to get much of a look in beside the 'Flying Whoosh', 'Duchess of Grandiosity' or 'Splendiferous Castle' all got up in a shiny colour with contrasting lining and polished metal work. The fact is that you should really have a dozen smaller black engines before you have any express passenger machines, to get the balance right, and a large proportion of the BR steam fleet were 0-6-0s. Matters are improving it should be said. At least there are some 0-6-0s available, and some are good recently tooled models; also there are a number of outside cylinder 2-6-0s (a Bachmann speciality!) which were the type that replaced the 0-6-0 for faster work on the LMS and LNER, with easier maintainability. As for eight coupled goods engines, models of the 8F, WD and super D, shortly to be joined by the 28XX/2884 and ROD/O4 types, suggests that enough of us must be buying those.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Thanks both. Reassuring comments. I have an 'N' Class mogul already Bigmet and am quite happy with it, inspite of it's fairly vintage mechanicals. It runs well although - occasionally - the piston rod jams. I'm not looking for a large collection of Southern stock, just another freight loco for some kiy-built stock.

RFS

Postby RFS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 pm

Holt Model Railways still have some Q1s in stock at reasonable prices.
Robert Smith

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:29 pm

RFS wrote:Holt Model Railways still have some Q1s in stock at reasonable prices.

Thanks RFS, I dropped in a couple of weeks back. Unfortunately they were BR liveried.

I am back looking for one again though. The mail order purchase - the answer to my problems I thought - arrived yesterday, and went straight back this morning. Had the dealer not agreed a full refund I'd have named him here, with a warning - but it looks as though it won't be necessary [and I'm grateful for that]

However, I'm left wondering how a dealer [who has a fairly expensive advert in the RM] could say 'I don't think it's at all bad, this one' about a loco which arrived with superglue or polystyrene cement all over the smoke box door, smoke box side and tender rear, some steps missing, two lamp irons snapped off, a set of tender doors snapped off [I glued those back on - may have been postal damage] and a driver badly superglued into the cab with all the mess caused by superglue frosting the surrounding paintwok. There's no exaggeration there at all, I assure you. It wasn't very expensive [£55] but it was at least £20 more than the condition really justified. The glue in particular would have been impossible to remove without marking the body/smoke box door.

Were we all born yesterday ? Why bother asking detailed questions about condition before buying ? Yes, yes, caveat emptor and all that, but really.......

I always thought that 'I'm looking for a mint/near-mint Q1 please' meant pretty much just that.

So : looking for a tidy Southern liveried Q1 again !

Exasperated !

Tony

RFS

Postby RFS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Try Shunters Junction - they are listing C21 as in stock ....

http://www.shunters-junction.com/id41.html
Robert Smith

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi Tony, much snow in the Gower tonight?

I had a Q1 which i weathered and fitted a smoke unit too. It ran faultlessly and really was one of my favourite models in the steam era!

Have Holts not got any left?
A loco with no sound chip? Might as well be unpainted!
EWS sound loco depot viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7263
Olivers Road RMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18867&start=30

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:28 pm

RFS wrote:Try Shunters Junction - they are listing C21 as in stock ....

Many thanks RFS - I may well end up there. I'll give a week.....

piemanlarger wrote:Hi Tony, much snow in the Gower tonight?

Yes, and no ! Snowing heavily [and has been so for a while] but it's not really sticking - too low and too near the sea I'm afraid. Still took me 2 and a half hours to drive home from Bridgend though. Not really snow, just over cautious drivers causing absolutely monumental tail backs.......

Tony

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 pm

I bought one of these the first week they came out. In reverse it ran very well, but forward it was hopeless. The shop said it would need running in which is fair enough, so I left it running for an hour, only to find one of the con-rods came unscrewed, jammed and bent the con-rod double.
Took it back to the shop where they did a really bad botched repair on it. This was the last loco I bought from them. This put me off buying another one and I part-ex'd this loco at another shop for something else.
It's a pity because I still the "biscuit-tin" loco but I don't fancy buying another.

RFS

Postby RFS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Mine runs very well forwards but occassionally sticks in reverse when running slowly. It is sensitive to not having clean wheels but does have tender pickups too.

I well remember them as a youngster and have fond memories of bunking Tonbridge shed one Sunday afternoon. There were 7 Q1s on shed that day and one of the drivers took me up into the cab to show me. They were always called Charlies he said, as they were numbered C1-C40 when built and really looked the part.
Robert Smith

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am

Hi, hope you've managed to find one!

Took me ages to track one down - managed to get a BR liveried one by chance at the Darlington Exhibition was £64 which I thougth wasnt bad. Didnt regret buying it though its a really good little work horse on my layout! Must admit I prefer it to the Bachmann 4mt 2-6-0 I just bought! it just seems so smooth!

I was in the model shop at the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway a while ago...they had C8 (i think) for £67 even second hand models appear in model shops (though these are quite scarce) at £60

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks all for your comments..........

One of the things that struck me from my disastrous second-hand purchase was just how fragile this one is - so many fine detail parts. Consequently, I bit the bullet and tracked down an unsold one - C21 - for a reasonable £60. Should have it next Monday or Tuesday. Just need to finish lettering on all of those wagons now........

Tony

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:58 pm

I guess this post has nearly run its course.

C21 arrived this morning and so my quest is complete. I haven't yet been able to run it but careful running-in will follow from some of the earlier comments made.

I was impressed by the level of detail on both the loco and its tender - this is its Achilles' Heel too, however, and it became quickly apparent that very great care would be required in handling - perhaps more so than any other loco that I have. I soon had to re-attach a lamp iron and found what I later discovered to be the tender's sliding side screens in my hands. Now re-attached also.

Final question for someone : the livery - is it Wartime Black or were they all outshopped in this way when built [with yellow, green-shaded lettering]?

Tony

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:37 pm

They were a wartime build, but since freight locos were unlined black before the war, the livery was no more austere than usual! They were certainly outshopped with Bulleid's numbering scheme, but I don't know about the letter and number style. This group might http://www.semgonline.com/home.html

If my example is anything to go by, you can expect a few detail parts to rattle off in service. Getting the loco body off the first time can be a struggle, just keep wiggling it, and don't worry if the copper coloured pipes are dislodged, they glue back into the locators easily.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”