Origional Hornby Class 58.

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Bigmet

Re: Origional Hornby Class 58.

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:53 am

Neat conversion. Are you going to convert the original motor bogie to take the (disc drive?) motor used in the converted bogie?

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Yeah, I expect that I'll convert the second bogie, now that I know that it can be done quite easily on a milling machine and after I have run some tests, I have many can motors that I have been collecting from PC CDROM drives. I tested the motor after I pressed the Brass gear onto the shaft and found that I had damaged the fitted motor, I'll replace it and try again. Then I'll move on to the next one.

On another note, I am quite looking forward to the arival of my new edition the my fleet, I bought a Hornby Class 66 from a fellow NRM member, I have wanted one of these for ages. It's 66702 in GBRf Livery. Should arrive in a few days.

Cheers.
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Well, It's been a week or so now since my last post on this subject, I finally got round to finishing this mod , as promised here is a video of it running with its new motor. Unfortunately I had to use parts from the old motor so I couldn't do a comparison video of old vs new.

Here's the video

I am very pleased with the performance of the new motor, as you can see the new one can easily pull 6 coaches, I've not tried any more than that. Where as the original motor could barely pull 2.

Cheers G.
ImageImageImage

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Interesting article. I've got the same 58 with the same lifeless performance and like you, a touch of sentimentality for it. I noticed in your video that you've got a Pacer. Is that next for the power boost?!? :wink:

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:45 pm

No, the pacer runs fine, no need for me to modify it. I am on the other hand looking for other engines to create mods for.

Thanks for reading G.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”