I was bored ! So..................

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
jockman31

Re: I was bored ! So..................

Postby jockman31 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:02 am

Gladly it has turned out just as i wanted . Onto the lighting now but i've still to get the thing powered.

Andrew
My layout :http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18969

Postby 80064 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:12 am

Looks cracking! Definately one to eavesdrop on onlooker at exhibitions! :lol:

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:01 pm

I like the look of that, very nice ideed, do you mind if I steal the idea for a unit of my own? I have to get a couple of railbuses for a project I'm going to be working on, which will leave me with two spare cabs. How well did the cab fronts actually fit?
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:54 pm

Superb work and good choice of livery. Are you going to get Decals made up for "Kelvin Scottish " ? that would really finish off a very nice job.
Ron

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:28 pm

Yea gonna get Decals made up if i cant find a model bus maker that supplies them . The Dapol railbus cabs fitted perfectly apart from the roof section which i fitted at an angle then filled the spaces that were left. If you look close enough at the 1st pic you will see that the destination part of the roof is angled forward, i also cut away a small section of the roof to allow for the sloping front.
These were really old MkII's (apart from lima carriage as the centre car) . I've been debating whether to power the centre car so that the motor bogie will be hidden which will let me super detail the interiors of the cabbed cars.
My layout :http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18969

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:39 pm

Just fitted the original railbus cab glazing . I cut the glazing in half then trimmed some of the edging so that it would allow for where i've joined the cab onto the carriage. This allowed me to fit it back in with little effort.

This is how i have joined the cabs and the small section of roof. As you can see the dimensions of the cab and carriage are almost identical.

With the glazing , it's really starting to look quite believable now.

Andrew

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Right thats me finished for the night . Just spent the last half hour modifying a Lima 117 Dummy chassis to fit . Looks like a DMU now! :D :D :D

Andrew

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:41 am

Here's a vid with it on the tracks coupled to a Lima class 117. I've realised that my buffer beams are a couple of millimetres to high luckily they are only lightly glued behind the cab so i will adjust them later. Sorry for the poor picture quality, will get a better vid up soon . You'll also notice near the end of the vid that i need to clean my track LOL :D .

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc21 ... ure174.flv

Andrew

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:24 am

thats brilliant!! well done!!

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks T&C, i'm hoping to try doing the directional lighting for 1 car tonight so will post a pic as soon as i've done it. I've got some fibre optic that i'm going to use for the light lenses. This will let me just place a board behind the cab front fitted with 1 yellow & 1 red led . The lights should have a more realistic dimness to them, unlike the hst i've already lit (see my layout thread) . The board will then have a surround to stop light seepage into the cab.

Cheers

Andrew

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:40 pm

jockman31 wrote:Thanks T&C, i'm hoping to try doing the directional lighting for 1 car tonight so will post a pic as soon as i've done it. I've got some fibre optic that i'm going to use for the light lenses. This will let me just place a board behind the cab front fitted with 1 yellow & 1 red led . The lights should have a more realistic dimness to them, unlike the hst i've already lit (see my layout thread) . The board will then have a surround to stop light seepage into the cab.

Cheers

Andrew

If you want to get directional lighting you'd need to install a diode (not a Light emiting diode aka LED as if current passed through that the wrong way it would break it) as a diode stops current & electricity going through it one way and lets it through another

HTH

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:52 pm

trainsandco wrote:
If you want to get directional lighting you'd need to install a diode (not a Light emiting diode aka LED as if current passed through that the wrong way it would break it) as a diode stops current & electricity going through it one way and lets it through another

HTH

T&C

forgive me if im wrong but a 'diode' doesnt emit light, you would still need an LED of some description.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Sounds good mate, looking forwad to see how the lights turn up as im thinking of doing something similar with some of my N gauge stock
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:22 pm

jockman31 wrote:Thanks T&C, i'm hoping to try doing the directional lighting for 1 car tonight so will post a pic as soon as i've done it. I've got some fibre optic that i'm going to use for the light lenses. This will let me just place a board behind the cab front fitted with 1 yellow & 1 red led . The lights should have a more realistic dimness to them, unlike the hst i've already lit (see my layout thread) . The board will then have a surround to stop light seepage into the cab.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks Hammy
To T&C if you check my layout thread you will see a hornby Virgin HST that i have already fitted directional LED's to. They have 2 seperate circuits for each direction. i just put 2 led's in parallel with a resistor to drop the voltage for 1 direction (Front/ forward) and vice versa for the tail lghting circuit .Hence when you change the direction, voltage can only flow through the circuit with the right polarity.

Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Postby Curler Guy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:17 am

quote="80064"]Good work and reminiscent of the 309 Eastern Region EMUs....

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... G%26um%3D1

Like the livery though![/quote]

err, that's a picture of a class 124 you have there. nothing LIKE a '309!!
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”