Hornby 'Clan'

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Black-Marlin

Hornby 'Clan'

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:30 pm

I was wondering, now that 'Clan Buchanan' is out, if anyone has bought one yet? I saw one for sale a month or two ago in Edinburgh, but I'm holding out for 'Clan Mackenzie' so I didn't investigate much further. I see there are a lot of reviews in this month's modelling press - can anyone offer some first-hand opinions? And do we think it'll sell well?

Cheers,
Gavin

Bigmet

Re: Hornby 'Clan'

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:05 pm

I have had a good look at one in a shop. It's a cracker in terms of appearance, to the same standard as the Britannia which I have and rate very highly, and since it is based on the Brit chassis and tender should run and pull just as well. But I am not going to buy one, because it just doesn't fit with my modelling interests. With the ROD and A2, Classes 105, 15 and 23, and Bachmann's Presflos and TPO all announced and many of them due to arrive in the near future, both the cash and the space on my layout are allocated elsewhere.

What it does enable Hornby to do, is get some idea of whether a loco with Scots connections will deliver strong sales. I am sure they would hope that anyone interested in BR steam in Scotland and North Western England will want at least one.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:29 pm

I agree with Bigmet here,100%........
It is a LOVELY model wholeheartedly,but personally speaking,it doesn't fit in with any part of my plans.
Sadly,there was never a Class 6 kept in preservation,so I can't have a steamer that isn't in existance to be fair.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:41 pm

:oops: Having just realised that I have a few steam engines that WERE scrapped,probably seems a bit daft that I was appearing "dismissive" of the Clan class :oops:
Part of the problem is in fact to do with the cost: Over £100 for one loco seems a bit steep(esp if you don't really need one),so the sales will only pick up if the RRP drops a fair bit.
What's more,I think you'd need to be actually modelling the era where these were in day-to-day operation.
Like I mentioned about the need for a Clan,a bit before my time,but it's a pity,as they are really lovely engines :wink:

Cunni

Postby Cunni » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:29 am

Phipps wrote:I agree with Bigmet here,100%........
It is a LOVELY model wholeheartedly,but personally speaking,it doesn't fit in with any part of my plans.
Sadly,there was never a Class 6 kept in preservation,so I can't have a steamer that isn't in existance to be fair.

Hengist - New Build Class 6, see here: http://72010-hengist.org/

It was the next engine in line to be built after the Clans, but BR never built it.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:52 pm

I forgot about that :oops:

Loftrail

Postby Loftrail » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:32 am

Hello all

The Hornby Clan looks to be a fine model. I never saw one here in Notts, but did see one in Doncaster Plant yard.

I see that Bigmet mentions a ROD that is to arrive in the near future, is this a Hornby loco ?

I have had a quick look on the Hornby website new releases section but can't see it mentioned, or maybe I have missed it !

How or where can I check this out ?

Thanks, Andy.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:41 am

Loftrail wrote:Hello all

The Hornby Clan looks to be a fine model. I never saw one here in Notts, but did see one in Doncaster Plant yard.

I see that Bigmet mentions a ROD that is to arrive in the near future, is this a Hornby loco ?

I have had a quick look on the Hornby website new releases section but can't see it mentioned, or maybe I have missed it !

How or where can I check this out ?

Thanks, Andy.

Hi Andy

The Robinson O4 is a Bachamnn release. There's quite a good pic of it here, although I know Daniel (Pedanticmongrel) has a picture of a painted one somewhere on this forum...

I want one!

Gavin

Loftrail

Postby Loftrail » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks Gavin.

Available 1st Qtr 2010 - maybe, but I'm looking forward to seeing one and finding out what price my local model shop will sell them at - £125 is not cheap ! but I'm sure that there will be discounts to be had.

Cheers Andy.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:00 pm

Bachmann have been cracking away at the O4 and A2, with the engineering proving samples and painted samples arriving and being exhibited at shows, so I am pretty sure they will arrive in the first half of 2010. Both look right in all significant respects, and although they will cost something around £100 once discounted, are still good value when you look at what it costs to build a kit to get one. I have been putting the cash aside, little by little, for these and the other releases I mentioned earlier.

The O4 will make it four decent models of UK eight-coupled goods machines, who would have believed it? If Hornby could be persuaded to give their 28XX a makeover to the same quality as the Castle, and Bachmann push on and do the NER Q6, that will make a good set of countrywide coverage of the heavy freight types in general service before the 9F came along.

pokey

Postby pokey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:27 pm

I know nothing about steam trains, being a modern traction fan - I got a Hornby Clan for Xmas and it really is a great loco, very detailed, just finished running it in last night. The only thing I'd mention is that even on 2nd/3rd radius curves the last two wheels on the loco swing wildly off the track (not a problem as there are no flanges on these wheels) but large sweeping curves would be best.

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Bigmet wrote:The O4 will make it four decent models of UK eight-coupled goods machines, who would have believed it? If Hornby could be persuaded to give their 28XX a makeover to the same quality as the Castle, and Bachmann push on and do the NER Q6, that will make a good set of countrywide coverage of the heavy freight types in general service before the 9F came along.

I don't think Hornby need any persuading, Bigmet...

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.com/horn ... otives.htm
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:56 am

pokey wrote:I know nothing about steam trains, being a modern traction fan - I got a Hornby Clan for Xmas and it really is a great loco, very detailed, just finished running it in last night. The only thing I'd mention is that even on 2nd/3rd radius curves the last two wheels on the loco swing wildly off the track (not a problem as there are no flanges on these wheels) but large sweeping curves would be best.

Does the Clan come with a replacement set of flanged wheels for the rear truck in the box? If these are fitted then 36" radius curves are required. That's based on experience with the Britannia, which has an identical running chassis. Some metal has to be cut away inside the rear truck frames to allow the flanged wheelset in at all, so most people will probably never bother.

pokey

Postby pokey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Bigmet wrote:
pokey wrote:I know nothing about steam trains, being a modern traction fan - I got a Hornby Clan for Xmas and it really is a great loco, very detailed, just finished running it in last night. The only thing I'd mention is that even on 2nd/3rd radius curves the last two wheels on the loco swing wildly off the track (not a problem as there are no flanges on these wheels) but large sweeping curves would be best.

Does the Clan come with a replacement set of flanged wheels for the rear truck in the box? If these are fitted then 36" radius curves are required. That's based on experience with the Britannia, which has an identical running chassis. Some metal has to be cut away inside the rear truck frames to allow the flanged wheelset in at all, so most people will probably never bother.

I haven't noticed any spare wheels, must remember to check the box sometime! If it involves cutting any metal from the model though, I don't think I would bother putting them on.

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:52 am

From a review I've read it seems a very nice loco, albeit expensive. I assume the cost is partly because it's a somewhat niche subject and as someone else suggested, Hornby may be testing the waters. Could we hope for a similarly Britannia-based Duke of Gloucester model? :)
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”