Hitachi Javelin

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
son of triangman

Re: Hitachi Javelin

Postby son of triangman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:00 am

Sadly the motor is the same old cheapo disposable that seem to come with everything today. I wish Hornby and the other manufacturers would go back to servicable motors, it doesn't have to be a Tri-ang motor but something like that would have guts to power the beasty and without horrible traction tyres.

The Javelin is also of limited appeal as well, fine for those down southand who mdoel the Southern region, perhaps ok for a kids train set as well, but other than that I carn't see it being a very good seller for Hornby.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:09 pm

So guys can anyone help me with my question on the Javlin door lights on the coach please?

m

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:34 pm

Well I've not been on one or seen the door control lights but my guess is that one button is for door open and the other is for door close as on some of the other EMUs on Southeastern SWT & Southern.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:37 am

I think Metadyneman is correct it looks that way from the pic, but I don't get down to the posh part of the country nowadays so cannot confirm to be sure.

Has anyone had problems with motors and traction tyres on the new Hornby Javelin, I have had three back in the last week, all have shed traction tyres and the motors have packed up.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:38 am

Looking at the model closely they look like open and close buttons.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:58 am

son of triangman wrote:... Has anyone had problems with motors and traction tyres on the new Hornby Javelin, ...

Only an indirect report from a friend, who told me over the Christmas holiday (he didn't bring it with him for an outing on my layout!) that while it looked good, he was scoping available centre motor drives for suitability to fit into this model.

hood50031

Postby hood50031 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:08 am

son of triangman wrote:I think Metadyneman is correct it looks that way from the pic, but I don't get down to the posh part of the country nowadays so cannot confirm to be sure.

Has anyone had problems with motors and traction tyres on the new Hornby Javelin, I have had three back in the last week, all have shed traction tyres and the motors have packed up.

yes one of my traction tyres sheerd off and sending it back to hornby today.
i am toatly dissapointed with this moddel not been able to pull a scale length train.
although one of my grandads kettles from hornby have a traction tier on the driveing wheel and wont pull a skin off a rice pudding.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:27 am

Sounds like the Javelin is going to be a problem model, I had better stock up on parts when and if Hornby issue them.

Rogue_Lion1

Postby Rogue_Lion1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 am

Campaigner I read somewhere on the Hornby website that the 0 4 0 Smokey Joe steam loco has the same motor as the Hornby Eurostar! I have the 0 4 0 Smokey Joe and it is a loco I use for slow shunting work. Why it is deemed by Hornby that it is required to run so fast is beyong Me. Intend to write to Hornby and ask them

Rogue Lion

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:42 am

Most likely done for cheapness of construction. What annoys me with locos like the Hornby 58, Eurostar and the Javelin is that they are intended to haul scale length trains and are fitted with such punny motors. Fine for 0-4-0's doing light branch line and light shunting work work but no good for heavy haulage work. As for traction tyres, well let's just say don't even go there.

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Rogue_Lion1 wrote:Campaigner I read somewhere on the Hornby website that the 0 4 0 Smokey Joe steam loco has the same motor as the Hornby Eurostar! I have the 0 4 0 Smokey Joe and it is a loco I use for slow shunting work. Why it is deemed by Hornby that it is required to run so fast is beyong Me. Intend to write to Hornby and ask them
Rogue Lion

I think it's just a case of "one size fits all" in other words, cheapness. Not that I have a problem with that, if the motor was any good in the first place!
That particular motor may be fine for a small childs train set, but not for an authentic scale model. :evil:

Rogue_Lion1

Postby Rogue_Lion1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:07 pm

Campaigner wrote:
Rogue_Lion1 wrote:Campaigner I read somewhere on the Hornby website that the 0 4 0 Smokey Joe steam loco has the same motor as the Hornby Eurostar! I have the 0 4 0 Smokey Joe and it is a loco I use for slow shunting work. Why it is deemed by Hornby that it is required to run so fast is beyong Me. Intend to write to Hornby and ask them
Rogue Lion

I think it's just a case of "one size fits all" in other words, cheapness. Not that I have a problem with that, if the motor was any good in the first place!
That particular motor may be fine for a small childs train set, but not for an authentic scale model. :evil:

Campaigner My point exactly their has to be a point in the standards of a company like Hornby where they refuse to compromise. I know that All businesses is about money however standards are standards. Being out of work I find it increadibly difficult to afford the prices they charge for their goods. When I have saved hared for a product - as I had originally intended to do woth this Hitachi but now have changed My mind - for what I am asked to pay, I expect to get value for My money. For the first time in MY life I am now looking for another manufacturer after being faithful to Hornby for years.

Rogue Lion

therailwayrunner

Postby therailwayrunner » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Got a 4 car 395 for Christmas and while the model is great to look at, it is a poor runner!
It is so sensitive to track quality and over s&c it is likely to derail.
Every other train I have can be left running happily without needing to be watched; not with this one.

Disappointed :(

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:05 am

Hmmm... Ive gone off the idea of their 4-VEP if it's going to be a poor runner like the Javelin seems to be. They didn't get the running right on their 466 EMU either.. that is a dreadful runner but a good looking unit. As I've said before, if Bachmann can produce an accurate, stable running EMU without using traction tyres then there is absolutely no reason what so ever why Hornby cannot do the same.

This does not bode well for the future of ready to run model EMUs if we are going to be palmed off with poor motors with flippin traction tyres from Hornby. The three year wait for the Bachmann 4-CEP was well worth it in the end and Hornby would do well to learn a thing or two from Bachmann's EMU drive mechanism.
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:11 am

Sadly it seems to be all about out putting cheap motors in more suited to 0-4-0's and not heavier duty locos. I hate traction tyres, Tri-ang didn't used them apart from their 9F which they had no choice with at the time and all their non-traction tyred locos ran well.

The Javelin does seem to be a poor model mechanically, if Hornby stuck with the soupped up model they used in the TV program with it's dual motors it would have been a better model. The class 58 was another dire model, totally underpowered. The Javelin does seem to have a problem with it's traction tyres shreding, probably because people think it can run like the one that was beefed up for the programme.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”