Question regarding replacing older wheels with new.

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Metadyneman

Re: Question regarding replacing older wheels with new.

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:54 am

I have bought a couple of packs of Dapol's replacement wheels in the past and I have to say they are pretty awful. The majority of them have one wheel which is slightly off centre making the coach wobble as it goes round. A few others have odd width flanges (ie thick round one half, thin round the other as though a metal stamping machine has missed the wheel centre properly) which also make the coaches wobble and derail. They might be cheaper, but that is also reflected in the poor quality of the finished product.
If you have the old Hornby square axle wheels (marketed under the "silver seal" trade mark) in your rolling stock, Hornby metal replacements are a straight swap and instantly transform the coach or wagon into a lovely smooth running vehicle. Be aware though, the 14mm diameter wheels may be slightly too big for some of the older Hornby bogies (particularly the old Mk1s) and although slightly underscale, the 12.5mm ones are better suited.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:49 am

The smaller wheels when fitted to coach bogies also overcome the problem of ride height.
When Hornby (or was it Triang Hornby) ditched split axle plastic wheels and fitted everything with plastic pinpoint wheelsets, they ignored the effect it had on ride height and subsequently standardised on a buffer height about 1.5mm taller than scale. It's still there in some of the Railroad offerings. Fitting 14mm coach wheels to these models is not only difficult, they tend to rub on the underside of the floor or catch on solebars, but makes them look rather ridiculous when placed next to a scale height item. The 4 wheeled coach placed next to a Bachmann Mk2 makes the problem obvious. If you rectify the running height of the older coaches they then show up just how overscale Nellie and Smokey Joe are. Rovex used to work on the basses of "if the mechanism won't go in make the body a bit bigger, even the GWR 101 tank rides a little high when placed on the line drawing.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:02 pm

Metadyneman wrote:...If you have the old Hornby square axle wheels (marketed under the "silver seal" trade mark) in your rolling stock, Hornby metal replacements are a straight swap and instantly transform the coach or wagon into a lovely smooth running vehicle...

Coming a little late to this topic, while this usually works as described, it depends on the wear state of the pinpoint recesses. What I would suggest to anyone before going ahead, remove the square axle wheelsets. If there is a load of pale grey dust on the pinpoints and pinpoint recesses, and you can see the pinpoint recesses are visibly worn ovoid, that's a 'dead duck' you are looking at. New wheelsets will 'slop around' and cannot deliver good running as a result, in which case bogie replacement is the way forward; either complete, or by new metal fold up internal frames 'dressed' with the bogie side frames cut from the worn bogies.

Metadyneman wrote:...I have bought a couple of packs of Dapol's replacement wheels in the past and I have to say they are pretty awful. The majority of them have one wheel which is slightly off centre making the coach wobble as it goes round. A few others have odd width flanges (ie thick round one half, thin round the other as though a metal stamping machine has missed the wheel centre properly) ...

The proven path to reputational damage, sad to say. Dapol had the 'completely wrong form' wheelsets under their 6 wheel milk tanks a decade or so past, and I now have before me for correction several vans bought by a friend a few years past which are 'wobblers'. The wheel form is fine, and so are the axles, but the wheels aren't set true on the axles; press tool misaligned them and/or the plastic insulating collars are dimensionally off / material too soft. Some of the wheels visibly out of true. I am going to attempt salvage by resetting on DIY insulating collars.

(I was a little nervous buying my first Dapol loco - NBL DE type 2, TOPS 21 - but this has happily proved mechanically problem free in all respects.)

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:18 pm

20220629_161152.jpg

I used the black plastic 80's era Hornby wheels which have the horrid white rims ( a black permanent marker sorted them out) . This van now runs through my Peco
Streamline points with no problems.

Ken

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”