Hornby - including Oxford Rail, Lima etc.

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Bigmet

Hornby - including Oxford Rail, Lima etc.

Postby Bigmet » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:11 am

An expected development, Hornby have now fully acquired Oxford Rail. Perhaps a moderator could alter the section heading to include this information?

Bufferstop

Re: Hornby - including Oxford Rail, Lima etc.

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:12 pm

I'll have a go at changing it but there's a problem with the template being in the original creators ID folder.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:25 pm

As I suspected, it lets me edit the string of that line, but nothing appears when you go back to the forum. What I don't know and can't try is what happens when the Board is restarted. If it doesn't appear in the next couple of days I'll ask the Owners to force a restart.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:36 pm

Well it's put it in the description, I'm going to leave it at that, Otherwise it might throw a wobbly.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:17 pm

Worth trying! At least you know whether it will work or not, for the next time that a manufacturer gobbles up a smaller outfit...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:31 pm

I guess the brand has done what Lyndon wanted, he now runs Hornby. Oxford Rail gave him some leverage in that takeover it now makes sense to roll them into one, looked at from that perspective it's the little guy taking over the behemoth by stealth. Hornby now has a management that knows something about the product and its customers.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:57 pm

As long as everyone then all is good.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:13 am

Bufferstop wrote:I guess the brand has done what Lyndon wanted, he now runs Hornby. Oxford Rail gave him some leverage in that takeover it now makes sense to roll them into one, looked at from that perspective it's the little guy taking over the behemoth by stealth. Hornby now has a management that knows something about the product and its customers.

There was suspicion voiced very early after the 2014 launch of Oxford Rail that this was the purpose behind it. Possibly the foul up that Hornby's then management delivered around the 2012 olympics that decided him that the time to strike was at hand?

Lyndon Davies has made no secret of his ambition to have much of the UK end of the diecast toy industry in his control, with the intent to return production to the UK once economically feasible. (I think this may prove a generational project, perhaps for his daughter Eloise to complete.)

George Stein

Postby George Stein » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:25 am

Ah ha! Perhaps this will mean that in future Hornby wagons will come with NEM coupler sockets so we can use Kadee and have operational shunting. Just dreaming, of course.

George
North Carolina

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:04 am

Doubt it, there's been a long term position of no upgrade to 'legacy' pre-NEM coupler pocket equipped wagons, to include this fitting. If Hornby were going to do it, the time would have been the early 2000's when China was still low cost, and the money was rolling in. It would have been worthwhile on the ex-Airfix GMR items in their range which are adequate models; rather than the trainset wagons, largely made on the one underframe fits all principle with the resulting distorted dimensions.

Hornby did briefly make available a screw on NEM coupler pocket moulding which was truly excellent, and I managed to scoop up a Hornby dealer's stock in about 2004. He had no use for them, his customers wanted the traditional giant tension lock, not this miserable little thing...

But Hornby simply left wagons to Bachmann for well over a decade from their 2000 move to China, and have concentrated on relatively uncommon items since, all of which are NEM coupler pocket equipped I believe. Annoyingly, some of the best of these new wagon toolings have only had very limited production runs too...

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:33 pm

https://www.insidermedia.com/news/south-east/hornby-buys-remainder-of-oxford-diecast-majority-shareholder

"Model railway company Hornby has acquired the remainder of a business with holds a majority stake in the Oxford Diecast Group, a supplier of diecast model vehicles and railway products.

The Margate-headquartered outfit has bought the 51 per cent of LCD Enterprises that it did not already own for £1.3m from chief executive Lyndon Davies and his wife Catherine Davies.

Oxford Diecast Group serves the collector, gift and hobby markets in the UK, Hong Kong and North America.

Hornby initially acquired a 49 per cent stake in LCD in 2017 for £1.6m.

A statement from Hornby said: "The company believes that the Oxford Diecast Group's portfolio of brands and industry knowledge are complimentary to its existing brand portfolio and that opportunities exist for the two businesses to work collaboratively together to grow both businesses."
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:34 pm

Diplicate info - ignore
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:18 am

The effects of this move beginning to be really visible, an Oxford Rail branded pack with a Hornby loco in it, and 'other stuff'.

There is suggestive evidence in its construction that the Hornby Terrier which 'came from nowhere' to beat the Rails Terrier to market by over a year, was in origin an unannounced Oxford product, which got a 'mid-season transfer' to Hornby's range.

Expect more of the same in coming years?

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”