Hornby R3582 - Class 87 'King Arthur' Faulty board.

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
netutgamer

Hornby R3582 - Class 87 'King Arthur' Faulty board.

Postby netutgamer » Wed May 26, 2021 12:02 am

Thought I'd share this one should anyone else have any issues with a Hornby Class 87.

This is my second 'modern' Hornby Class 87, having already picked up the Virgin Livery 'Sir Winston Churchill' earlier in the year and now the Intercity 'King Arthur'. From my own personal experience I have had 2 'out of the box' brand new from model shop faulty locos. My King Arthur has just come back from Hornby where the PCB was replaced and a visual inspection suggests this one isn't much better.

With both of these locos, when lifting a DCC decoder, and then sitting it on the track for programming and a test without the body re-attached I've had issues. I wasn't paying enough attention when 'Sir Winston Churchill' puffed smoke and refused to move, but I was taking a very close look at 'King Arthur' and spotted what was wrong before it expired and took some photos.

'The Factory Fitted PCB' from King Arthur

So first up, here's a photo before I even connected the decoder to the 8 Pin Socket. Having removed the blanking plate from the loco I spotted that a component had slipped from its solder pads during manufacture and was actually soldered on making contact to its pads on the PCB and a leg of the DCC Socket. Cleary this wasn't going to work as expected.
IMG_9882.jpeg

So it went back to Hornby, and they replaced the PCB with a new one and sent it back to me.

'The Replacement PCB' from King Arthur, as installed by the service team at Hornby.

So here's the model after its warranty repair. Now the loco isn't the same way around but you can compare with the above. You can see the previous problem component labelled '330' is in its rightful place and hasn't floated to the decoder socket.

However a different component has slipped during manufacture (as highlighted in yellow). This photo was taken before sitting on the track. I did a quick visual inspection to see if they simply replaced my whole loco, or whether they swapped out the PCB.
Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 23.37.56.jpg
Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 23.37.56.jpg (286.12 KiB) Viewed 550 times

This must have had a visual inspection by the technician at Hornby? Or did they just stick a new one in because it worked shipped it back to me.

Surprisingly the loco does work, but I'm thinking it needs to go back and get replaced again. Otherwise I'll end up with a different fault later down the line when it's out of warranty :(

Anyone else had this?

Ironduke

Re: Hornby R3582 - Class 87 'King Arthur' Faulty board.

Postby Ironduke » Wed May 26, 2021 4:32 am

I'd be surprised if anyone at Hornby would have spotted that unless they were looking for similar problem to the previous PCB.
The component looks like a capacitor, so it possibly isn't doing any harm where it is, unless "EC" stands for "Electrolytic Capacitor".
You should definitely ask Hornby about it, though. Even if they say it's ok, maybe they'll look harder next time.
Regards
Rob

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 26, 2021 9:40 am

That's an immediate return to vendor job. The displaced component isn't sitting within its 'target'* , (the white rectangle that defines its location) which means it isn't in the circuit it is designed to be in. One fault is visible, there may be others...

Hornby have clearly had a bad batch of boards where the flow soldering hasn't been fully effective, allowing some of the surface mount components to shift.

* what with my brief exposure to circuit board manufacture being over 40 years past the terminology may have changed, but whatever, the component should be neatly inside the white rectangle.

fourtytwo

Postby fourtytwo » Wed May 26, 2021 9:56 am

Totally disgusting, shows no quality control at either Hornby nor its sub-contractors, whoever repaired that should be dismissed for incompetence.
A fresh start in OO, DC Steam

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 26, 2021 10:12 am

fourtytwo wrote:...whoever repaired that should be dismissed for incompetence.

It's better for everyone if whatever knowledge deficit resulted in that getting installed is remedied. Appropriate skill training always nets out cheaper than the expense of dismissal and recruitment; even with the odd exception of the 'untrainable', they do exist. (Mind, I would say that as someone who made a good living as a skills trainer...)

netutgamer

Postby netutgamer » Wed May 26, 2021 11:20 am

Looks lIke Hornby aren't that bothered about the poor quality component in their Loco.

All Repairs come with 1year warranty. Looking at the case a new pcb was fitted as part of the repair. All the parts would have inspected and checked and tested by the the repairs team before fitting.

Not really an acceptable approach in my book based on a £170 RRP loco. :(

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed May 26, 2021 11:35 am

That board has the hallmarks of a poor field repair. I suspect it came from a damaged warranty return, the only form of inspection being does it run for a few seconds. Fifty years ago boards of this quality were common as spares issued to field technicians. Although I tried to get them to return them with a detailed description of the problem, they were more likely, when no one was looking, to have a high voltage AC lead dragged across the tracks then labelled DOA, rendering them uneconomic to repair. The bloke who did it was probably P'd off with continually receiving sub standard spares.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed May 26, 2021 11:48 pm

Quality control, what quality control? Shoddy and it would have taken no more than a few seconds at Hornby to cast an eye over the replacement pcb for glaring faults like those.
Pete.

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Thu May 27, 2021 2:12 pm

Last time I saw soldering that bad, I'd done it.

netutgamer

Postby netutgamer » Thu May 27, 2021 2:14 pm

Yes it's not fantastic.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu May 27, 2021 4:05 pm

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:Last time I saw soldering that bad, I'd done it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

netutgamer

Postby netutgamer » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:17 pm

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats in anticipation of what might happen next. Well today out of the blue I get another email from Hornby...Appears they've had another think about it.

Thank you for your email.
I have spoken to the repairs team, They have confirmed it looks like the board has been made incorrectly
Please return the loco to us including a brief covering letter describing the issue, along with your name, returns address, telephone number and email address.

So they're going to have another go! Let's hope the next replacement board has less defects than the current one!

netutgamer

Postby netutgamer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:37 am

So this should conclude this thread...

Third board in my brand new 'King Arthur' Class 87 and we appear to have a complete board with all the components sitting in the right place after another trip back to Hornby for repair.

IMG_0411_2.jpg

Scrolling back through the thread, it's also interested to see that the decoder was installed backwards in the previous repair. This is untouched by me in these photos. out of the box, body shell off, and photos taken. I hadn't noticed that before. It's in the right way round now based on how Pin1 is marked on the PCB.

looks like someone who knew what they were doing did the repair this time.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am

Politely persisting and sending Hornby good information appears to have done the job as this looks right - now how does it run? (I run all my new acquisitions for hours to discover any 'infant mortality' while the model is new. There's no dispute that a fault was present when a model fails within days of purchase.)

netutgamer

Postby netutgamer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:54 am

Yes I'm going to sit it on my rolling road for a while and make sure things like lighting and drive behave as they should for a period of time.

but a visual inspection of the board passes.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”