Hornby K1 2-6-0

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Bigmet

Hornby K1 2-6-0

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:50 am

We don't seem to have a thread specific to this fine model. A s/h specimen reached me Saturday, sent by an old friend for attention and decoder fitting, and is now 'all done'. This must be the fifth one I have tinkered with, and all have been very good: the model looks and measures right, and performs well with excellent traction. The moulded coal is easy to remove, and the complete bunker space is modelled so you can 'coal it' any way you choose, always a neat feature in my opinion.

The one improvement Hornby could have usefully incorporated is to fit a Bachmann style screw locked slide adjustment to the loco to tender drawbar; so I had to make a new shorter drawbar and file a little off the intermediate buffer mouldings on the tender drag box. Now the fall plate and cab doors close the gaps as they should, and the loco will still sail around a 24" radius curve which is smaller than anything on its owner's layout; where layout curves permit closing up engine and tender to scale separation just ices the cake in appearance of any tender loco.

Once test running was complete, I gave it a traction test yesterday afternoon, and it is good for more than 60 wagons or 15 coaches, more than adequate for the type, which had a 5P6F rating. A very complete model of a medium mixed traffic type in short.

(Although not applicable in this case, Hornby knew it was practically perfect in every way, so on the first production run had the attachment of the tender side frame mouldings performed near cement free, so that they often fall off, just to give us something to grumble about. A little ABS effective solvent cement swiftly and invisibly fixes this should it arise (butanone, plastic magic. etc..). :wink: )

Peterm

Re: Hornby K1 2-6-0

Postby Peterm » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:14 pm

I might have to have a look at doing that mod to my K1 now that you mention it.
Pete.

Bigmet

Re: Hornby K1 2-6-0

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:10 am

It's a little curious that Hornby don't copy* Bachmann's way superior loco to tender drawbar arrangement, seen on all their newly tooled tender loco introductions these last ten years or thereabouts.

For those that haven't seen it, the drawbar is hinged on the loco, and engages a pin on a screw locked slide on the tender underside. So the owner can adjust to exactly the minimum spacing possible on their own layout's curves, for best appearance of the loco and tender combination. Simple and effective. Until Hornby imitates, it's carry on making a shorter drawbar to suit the layout. It's very worthwhile, not least because it further enhances the typically fine appearance of Hornby's product.

* It's not as if Hornby haven't taken up other superior features from Bachmann's designs; the best of these the neat curved pick up wipers that appeared on Bachmann's Blue Riband steam models from the 1990s. Hornby finally replaced their Margate inherited 'long and floppy' style wipers on newly tooled steam loco mechanisms when they parted from Sanda Kan in the 2010s. The superior efficiency of these pick ups mean that tender pick ups (still by overlong and floppy wipers!) are not really required, but Hornby have still to discover that...)

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”