Hornby Q1

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Phat Controller

Re: Hornby Q1

Postby Phat Controller » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:41 pm

I understand to the aficionados' within the model world are a little critical of the Q1 model, however the entry level modellers are more forgiving, as I am, with the final design of this wonderful little loco.

We could debate from now til doomsday what "could've been done" and "what should've been done" on a myriad of other models as well, to make them perfect,but Hornby DID produce a little ripper in the Q1.

Sales of this model went through the roof and Hornby managed to get something "right" in that modellers all over the world accepted this "ugly duckling" into their lives.

The tender connection has never failed me yet, and yes I would prefer they had done the "wire" connection instead, but my models continue to chug on and I'm quite happy with their looks and performance straight out of the box.

Each to their own I spose :wink:

As for the DCC side all my 6 loco's have never had a problem with being chipped, never shorted or had any decoder problems (apart from the fiddliness of inserting them) and cruise around again quite happily - maybe I managed to get a bunch of good ones! BUT I will keep an eye on things as they start to age and will be keen to watch out for proposed shorting problems if they begin to develop, nice to know this "fault".
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:53 am

It's less vulnerable to the electrical problem than longer models, and those with outside cylinders and valvegear. Between them these two factors lead to more sideways displacement of wheels on curves and more potentially conducting connections to the chassis block via the rods. (First time I saw this problem was on an 8F, randomly tripping out the DCC system. With over 30 locos on the layout, I had to operate in the dark to spot the loco causing the trouble - an old trick and a good one when 'stuck' - and there it was when on curves, little sparks on the rods, when a rod contacted a wheel rim or axle end.)

On the Q1 should this problem occur it is more likely to be internal and thus probably out of sight: a displaced pick up wiper, some carbon tracking, or a wire with damaged insulation contacting the chassis block are the typical sort of thing.

RFS

Postby RFS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:17 am

Credit to Hornby though: when my Q1 started suffering this problem they repaired it free of charge even though the model was 7 years old! In my case the problem wasn't intermittent, it was permanent.
Robert Smith

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 am

My experiences of repairs by Margate works is that it had to be worth the administrative effort of raising an invoice befroe they charged for anything. It's a nice sentiment for an old way of working but shows poor control of minor costs.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”