Hornby 2019 Range Speculation Thread

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
alex3410

Re: Hornby 2019 Range Speculation Thread

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:47 pm

I have had real trouble getting on the Hornby site to look over whats included (same every year with massive influx of people :lol: )

anyway while looking for an alternative source of info i found Sams Trains on you tube is currently live streaming a review of the range with Hattons. You can move the slider at the bottom to go back to the start.

Its really well done and is something Hornby should really have been doing themselves, all they are doing is going through each item in turn and chatting about it but its really interesting hearing about the history of the model in the range as well as the real life locos as well.

edit: the live stream is over but you can catch up here

manna

Postby manna » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 pm

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Well that was a total waste of time, if Hornby think they're going to drag any money out of me, No chance, Everything's been done before except for the little 0-4-0 diesel, there are so many loco's to model, and we get stuck with the same old stuff, year after year, not even the Bugatti P2, which wouldn't be to much hassle. I said a load of rubbish, on RM Web............and it got deleted.

manna :evil:

G'Day Gents

An Apology to Andy Y on RM Webb, he didn't delete a post 'saying the Hornby line up this years was Rubbish' In my haste, I probably hit the wrong button, and closed the laptop lid to quick.

There are a few new items in this years catalouge, a 0-6-0 Peckett and a nice little 0-4-0 diesel, and plenty of other stuff that's of no use to me

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

BobDM

Postby BobDM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Well it's here now.
Loads of new stuff.
Now comes the $1 000 000 question. When will the products actually arrive in the shops? I'm still waiting for the LMS Duchess of Hamilton to arrive.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:20 pm

D605Eagle wrote:Some oddities there. Mk2Fs? Surely most people who wanted them have bought the definitive Bachmann model?

Price, Jim. Hornby's are 35 notes RRP, I believe. OK the Bachy ones are pretty highly specced, but not everybody wants that

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 pm

BobDM wrote:Well it's here now.
Loads of new stuff.
Now comes the $1 000 000 question. When will the products actually arrive in the shops? I'm still waiting for the LMS Duchess of Hamilton to arrive.

I see that much of it is sensibly making use of existing models given a makeover. That should take a bit out of the lead time. Also nice to see that Hornby are going to move back into part of the Rovex works, sharing it with the mothballed locos and stock, the obvious use for the place all along.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:27 am

This appears to be the closest thing to a Hornby 2019 thread even though its no longer only speculative now the catalogue is published and future releases illustrated in Hornby Magazine.

Just wanted to express my excitement at the revelation that Hornby is releasing two new mould Bulleid coach types in various liveries 2019. I expect demand will be high. Hopefully as exquisite as their Maunsells were, about as good as OO RTR detail still gets. Woohoo! Now my dilemma is affording them. Ouch! :shock: :lol:

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:48 am

They have a new Terrier in mainland (Maunsell) SR green. The only trouble is that it is the same number as when they did one in that livery previously... :(

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:08 am

Waiting for my catalogue to arrive but I've pre ordered the 2019 Xmas wagon from rails in advance ,,,mjb

ttreba

Postby ttreba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:34 am

As a newcomer, long-time armchair modeller and someone who's decided that 2019 is the year that I finally make a start on a layout, I've been thumbing through the catalogue and getting far too carried away with lists of things to buy.

I've now come to my senses, put the brakes on and am taking a more considered approach. One thing I've noticed though is that for Era3 modellers, of which I'm 90percent sure I'm one (front-runner in my mind atm is the ubiquitous GWR BLT) there is an abundance of open wagons but very few Box Vans. Just 2 are sold individually: R6422 NE Box Van and R6775 SR Vent Van. There's a pack of three LMS Box Vans R6836. But as far as I can tell, that's it. Odd though that there's a GWR Box Van in R1228 Industrial Freight Set, a ??? Box Van in R1157 W Coast Highlander Set and a BR 12t Box Van in R1236 Mixed Traffic Set, none of which are available individually.

I'd really like to keep to just one manufacturer, mainly to avoid any troubles with differnt couplings, but this apparent scarcity of Box Vans from Hornby makes it seem rather difficult.

Gra
Chuffing along s l o w y

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm

ttreba wrote:I'd really like to keep to just one manufacturer, mainly to avoid any troubles with differnt couplings, but this apparent scarcity of Box Vans from Hornby makes it seem rather difficult.

Should not be necessary to just stick to Hornby - admittedly their have always been slight differences in tension lock sizes between manufacturers, indeed Hornby themselves use different sizes, but they should work together and with the expanding use of NEM mounts you can quiet easily shuffle couplings about if that makes things simpler with a wagon having different makers couplings on either end.

In terms of box vans Hornbys range is from old toolings they acquired in 1996 which did not have NEM mounts;
R6422 NE Box Van is from the Dapol c 1991 GW Vent Van tooling, and R6836 LMS Box Vans appear on the photoshoped to be the same.
R6775 SR Vent Van is from the Airfix 1979 tooling that passed to Hornby via Dapol.

ttreba

Postby ttreba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Mike Parkes wrote:
ttreba wrote:I'd really like to keep to just one manufacturer, mainly to avoid any troubles with differnt couplings, but this apparent scarcity of Box Vans from Hornby makes it seem rather difficult.

Should not be necessary to just stick to Hornby - admittedly their have always been slight differences in tension lock sizes between manufacturers, indeed Hornby themselves use different sizes, but they should work together and with the expanding use of NEM mounts you can quiet easily shuffle couplings about if that makes things simpler with a wagon having different makers couplings on either end.

In terms of box vans Hornbys range is from old toolings they acquired in 1996 which did not have NEM mounts;
R6422 NE Box Van is from the Dapol c 1991 GW Vent Van tooling, and R6836 LMS Box Vans appear on the photoshoped to be the same.
R6775 SR Vent Van is from the Airfix 1979 tooling that passed to Hornby via Dapol.

Thanks Mike.

The legacy and family tree of various products can be quite confusing to a newcomer!

I suppose things will become a bit clearer when I actually start "doing" as opposed to "thinking about doing" :)

Gra
Chuffing along s l o w y

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Look out for Hornby rolling stock with the large D shaped coupler, the design has passed down the line from the days when Hornby was Triang, not only is it big and ugly the wagons (and coaches) to which it's attached are one or two millimetres too tall. Unfortunately the excess is just above the axleboxes and is just about impossible to remove (running on smaller wheels puts the couplings too low).
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:43 pm

ttreba wrote:...I'd really like to keep to just one manufacturer, mainly to avoid any troubles with differnt couplings, but this apparent scarcity of Box Vans from Hornby makes it seem rather difficult...

Welcome aboard. Glad you haven't made any purchases yet!

Frankly, give up on the 'one manufacturer' idea. Couplers now interchangeable thanks to the NEM coupler pocket. (Best reliability is obtained by standardising on a single maker's product. There are better alternatives to the tension lock too, leading candidate I would suggest is Kadee.)

Hornby have some good product. But they also sell some of the most dire outdated dross imaginable. Item one on the charge sheet: the track system. Do yourself a favour and don't buy. Peco streamline track is day over night a better idea.

Locos and stock: there are several more good manufacturers now. Leading the pack until recently when production difficulties in China hobbled them, Bachmann. All the good pannier tank models, 2251, 45xx, 56xx, (and that's much of the small stuff that suits branchlines) are from Bachmann, and this business is much stronger on wagons compared to Hornby. Also in the frame for GWR steam era product, Heljan, Dapol, Oxford Rail, Kernow, DJM.

I have a complete 'mix it up' model railway, all of kit builds and Bachmann, Heljan, Hornby, Oxford Rail and Rapido ready to run (RTR), and if they choose the right subjects for my interest will buy RTR from Accurascale, Dapol, Hattons, as product becomes available. It all operates together without any problems.

ttreba

Postby ttreba » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks for the interesting and helpful advice Bufferstop and Bigmet, much appreciated.

I'd already seen that Peco track is often recommended over Hornby, so that's one decision made.

First things first though, so I'll be off to my local timber merchant on Monday for some 9mm ply.

Gra
Chuffing along s l o w y

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Choice of 9mm ply, good... Best advice, paint or varnish (seal, in brief) both surfaces of whatever will form the baseboard. Water based scenic treatments - such as dilute PVA to secure ballast - may cause trouble otherwise.

So, are you persuaded of the 'mix it up' approach on locos and rolling stock?

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”