Hornby Railroad R3275 class 31

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
brakeman

Hornby Railroad R3275 class 31

Postby brakeman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:48 am

Hi, a well meaning relative has bought me a Railroad Class 31 in Dutch engineers grey that is too modern livery for the 1960s era of my layout. Not wanting to offend her by selling this loco I thought of fitting a replacement body shell to the loco. I understand that this was originally a Lima product.
Is it possible to fit a Lima or even a Hornby or Airfix class 31 body without much butchering involved to keep the peace in my home ?
I have thought of repainting in the two tone green of the 60s but I'm not keen in case I make a mess, any thoughts !

luckymucklebackit

Re: Hornby Railroad R3275 class 31

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:56 am

How about painting it as D5578 in all over blue, no white stripes or yellow ends to worry about, just need to get the right colour of blue, think it was "electric" blue, certainly lighter than BR blue. Lima produced this model in this livery, see this photo https://www.hattons.co.uk/104923/Lima_L204614_LN_Class_31_Diesel_D5578_BR_experimental_blue_Code_7M68_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

brakeman

Postby brakeman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks luckymucklebackit, I thought of that but it would be the wrong livery for the early 60s era of my layout.
I have seen photos of a single green scheme but I think It would be easier to do a body swap.

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:19 pm

brakeman wrote:Hi, a well meaning relative has bought me a Railroad Class 31 in Dutch engineers grey that is too modern livery for the 1960s era of my layout. Not wanting to offend her by selling this loco I thought of fitting a replacement body shell to the loco. I understand that this was originally a Lima product.
Is it possible to fit a Lima or even a Hornby or Airfix class 31 body without much butchering involved to keep the peace in my home ?
I have thought of repainting in the two tone green of the 60s but I'm not keen in case I make a mess, any thoughts !

The Hornby RailRoad model is essentially the Lima model with a more modern chassis, better motor, better wheels, and better electrical pickups. The Lima bodies will clip straight on (apart from possibly needing a plastic pillar on the glazing shell clipped).

Any Hornby RailRoad or Lima 31 body will be a straight swap, but the older R351 model, and the newer super-detailed Hornby models, would take a lot more hacking to get them to fit, if at all. Likewise the old Airfix one would need a lot of work to get it to fit.

brakeman

Postby brakeman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:23 am

Hi SRman. That's what I feared ! So I will keep an eye out for a Lima body or risk a re paint.
I have seen some great paint jobs ( an some no so good ) so I will get some info on what to do and maybe try myself.
Thanks for your help.

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:18 pm

It may well be worth a repaint. While you are at it, you can correct any detail anomalies, and shave off the moulded handrails on the fronts and replace them with wire.

I had a Lima body I detailed some years ago, and put it on a Hornby RailRoad chassis. I had to make up the cowlings from plastic card to get it back to the correct style for the period, but it wasn't that difficult to do.

The close-up photo does exaggerate the rough edges of my work, but at normal viewing distances it is fine. One thing I haven't done (yet!) is to correct the exhaust vents to represent the English Electric style (the Lima model has the Mirrlees style, which is incorrect for the model in BR blue.

Class 30 improvements 8 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”