Hornby Sovereign and Signature Collections

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
alex3410

Hornby Sovereign and Signature Collections

Postby alex3410 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:54 pm

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/signature_and_sovereign

new announcement from Hornby, just incase anyones missed it - thoughts?

Sovereign
Hornby Train packs for the discerning enthusiast...
For those who already have a layout we have assembled an assortment of train packs each including a detailed locomotive together with relevant rolling stock. Hornby Train packs for the discerning enthusiast.

Signature
Are you new to the hobby and looking to build your ideal layout? If so then look no further!
These train sets are aimed squarely at new to the hobby enthusiasts who are looking for detailed locomotives and comparable rolling stock so that they can start to build their Hornby world. Each set includes a top of the range locomotive and a selection of equally detailed rolling stock, together with an oval of track and the exceptional twin controller, the HM2000. As an added bonus the sets will also include the latest copy of the Hornby Track Plans Book to assist you in deciding on the type and size of layout you wish to build.

GWR_fan

Re: Hornby Sovereign and Signature Collections

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 am

Reminds me of the Majestic trainset with a BR early crest Peppercorn matched with a RES class 47. This is simply repackaging marketing hype to flog off a wharehouse full of stock which the CEO has refused to discount further. The recently released class 72XX in BR late crest with three private owner open wagons was testing the market and it failed. Seems like head in the sand thinking.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 am

Nothing enticing for me.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mistered

Postby mistered » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am

I'm surprised Hornby don't include a couple of extra pieces of track in their sets. Or even just the Track Pack A or B. Would only cost an extra pound or two.

The loop is pretty boring after the initial interest wears off. Being able to create a passing loop or a couple of sidings provides a bit more operating interest and an incentive to buy more rolling stock.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 am

GWR_fan wrote:Reminds me of the Majestic trainset with a BR early crest Peppercorn matched with a RES class 47.

No such horrors if you follow the link, the only real howler (as opposed to slightly elastic interpretation of time and geography) is the lack of a brake van in the the East Lincs train set.

Two of the coach packs are absolutely typical (and standard) LMS/LMR "brake third/third/composite/brake third" inter-district sets.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

HarryR

Postby HarryR » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:27 pm

As some who as yet to start (!!) all marketing promotions are of interest. So the coaching stock seems reasonably priced & the station pilot could (but in my case probably wont) be a convenient starting point.

Postby 6412 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Like the look of the Welshman but wouldn’t want the track etc. Also although not of interest to me would have thought more than 2 carriages should be included with Pullman days.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:43 pm

What on earth would a station pilot want with three wagons? and notice one of them is a BR wagon in BR livery with an LNER loco... Another cracking screwup from the kings of screwups :lol: :lol:

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:47 pm

stuartp wrote:
GWR_fan wrote:Reminds me of the Majestic trainset with a BR early crest Peppercorn matched with a RES class 47.

No such horrors if you follow the link, the only real howler (as opposed to slightly elastic interpretation of time and geography) is the lack of a brake van in the the East Lincs train set.

ermmm very prewar PO wagons with a BR livereied loco?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:21 pm

HarryR wrote:As some who as yet to start (!!) all marketing promotions are of interest. So the coaching stock seems reasonably priced & the station pilot could (but in my case probably wont) be a convenient starting point.

That's the right way to look at this promotional packaging. The items are going to be those that are cluttering up the warehouse, bundled with the intent of producing something that might attract sales. If they happen to accidentally match what you might be interested in doing at a good price, then a purchase is worthwhile. Otherwise leave it to the collectoratii.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Bigmet wrote:collectoratii.

:lol: :lol:
That honestly made me laugh out loud!
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 pm

End2end wrote:
Bigmet wrote:collectoratii.

:lol: :lol:
That honestly made me laugh out loud!
Thanks
End2end

wheres the like button when you need it! :D

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:57 am

D605Eagle wrote:ermmm very prewar PO wagons with a BR livereied loco?

Ok, so my interest in PO wagons doesn't extend to being able to recognise 'very prewar' ones from 'ones which staggered on into the 1950s without being re-painted'. They were all bare wood / flaking paint withh "Pxxxxxxx" numbers or repainted by the time I get interested.

They're still more thought gone into them that the RES 47 + A1 and the "Lowland Carrier" abomination.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”