Tri-ang R242 55t Trestrol waggon

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Tri-ang R242 55t Trestrol waggon

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:33 am

While not entirely accurate the Trestrol R242 waggon is one of my Tri-ang/Hornby favourites. When they do rarely appear the seller usually asks big money. To my surprise last week Hattons had two listed in the pre-owned section, described as having age wear. The images looked OK so I purchased them. After VAT reduction they cost me GBP6.00 each. I am not aware if Hornby ever produced this model. One model was dark grey and the other light grey. As regards "age wear", the models did look "played with" but were just fine for me.

They arrived today and I set about modifying them. I need to source further shouldered 4 mm bearings to finish them. The bogie axle recesses were drilled deeper with a 2 mm drill bit. A larger drill was then used to countersink the hole for the bearing shoulder to recess in. It is easy enough to snap off the shoulder if one wants to just use a 2 mm drill bit. Metal wheels were then inserted and the mini Bachmann tension lock couplers simply screwed on using the existing retention pins and small mounting screw.

luckymucklebackit

Re: Tri-ang R242 55t Trestrol waggon

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:04 am

What size wheels did yo use? I have two of these but they sit in a siding as they have the original wheels and won't take the points.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:20 am

Jim,
the shouldered bearings need to sit with the shoulder outer face flush with the inside face of the bogie sideframe (i.e., not stand proud). A standard Hornby or Bachmann 12 mm (12.6?) will then install and spin freely. I recall sometime ago doing a google image search on the Trestrol and some of the images returned were from RMWeb where several members had attempted at converting the Tri-ang model to more represent the prototype.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:04 am

If you are replacing the original Triang split axle wheelsets, watch out for the ride height, as the original treads are only 10mm diameter. Replacing with 12mm will raise the buffer centre line by 1mm which is just about acceptable. Replacing those wheels on coaches with 14mm raises them unacceptably high. New bogies and some surgery may be called for. Ex Dublo coaches fitted with new bogies by Wrenn suffer a similar problem.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:56 am

I checked the original wheelsets and the diameter varied from 0.485 - 0.505". This will equate to around 12 mm so hopefully no height problems.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks guys - must get round to this someday, I will put it no the to-do list (which is quite long) :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:29 pm

GWR_fan wrote:...I am not aware if Hornby ever produced this model...

No they couldn't. The tooling was wrecked by altering it for the Battlespace range.

The original is a very interesting hybrid, scale length for the 50T Trestrol B, but with the welded frame structure of the slightly longer 55T Trestrol C vehicle. (Those were the LNER as built classifications, half the batch were built for the LMS and were slightly differntly classified.)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:39 pm

The tooling was wrecked by altering it for the Battlespace range.

A common occurrence at the time, It cost Wrenn a fortune to restore the tooling for the HD 08 after it had been used to produce an 0-4-0 for the "starter sets".
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:01 pm

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:33 am

Odd, the part number, R242, is also the number for an old tender drive Britannia class loco "Robert Burns".

Until I source further brass bearing inserts I found six axles which have a slightly longer axle length, sufficient to hold in the bogie so am able to get the second light grey Trestrol mobile. I will replace when spares are available. On the dark grey version I had a crane jib that I had extended and this fitted the flatcar perfectly.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”