Double Loop using R965 and R602 (Maybe a stupid Question)

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Nattcrawler

Double Loop using R965 and R602 (Maybe a stupid Question)

Postby Nattcrawler » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi Guys

got my preowned DC track yesterday and i was setting it up last night just to test some bit and i noticed it came with a piece of track that had no sleepers that my R965 plugged into, and also one of the Hornby R602 power connectors.

I was thinking about doing a double loop that connects up to each other using a left and a right hand point on the straight. So i tested my theory last night by using the R602 to the inside loop, then loosley connecting the wires coming off it to the outside track which was using the track with the connector soldered in place and no sleepers, and i was able to move my locomotive from track to track without it losing connectivity or anything.

I suppose my question is, is this what people normally do when they are i guess starting out? or should i not be doing that? obviously i dont want to blow my R965 but it seamed to be fine for my testing last night.

Also, to run more than one loco, the tracks would need to be connected to an independent power source each right and then controlled seperately to a different R965 or another controller?

I mean gradually this will become nothing more than a staging, tester track or even given to my daughter when i build a DCC layout, but until then this is all i have! :P

Thank you in advance and im sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just starting again after my childhood with hornby.

End2end

Re: Double Loop using R965 and R602 (Maybe a stupid Question)

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Nattcrawler wrote:to run more than one loco, the tracks would need to be connected to an independent power source each right and then controlled seperately to a different R965 or another controller?

If you mean a double oval with points to cross betweem them AND being able to run 2 trains on each loop independantly then yes 2 controllers to run 2 locos and both loops insulated from each other.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Nattcrawler

Postby Nattcrawler » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:07 pm

End2end wrote:
Nattcrawler wrote:to run more than one loco, the tracks would need to be connected to an independent power source each right and then controlled seperately to a different R965 or another controller?

If you mean a double oval with points to cross betweem them AND being able to run 2 trains on each loop independantly then yes 2 controllers to run 2 locos and both loops insulated from each other.
Thanks
End2end

But i can run a double loop on a single power source by connecting 2 points of the rail to one controller right? so the inner loop and outer loop connected to one controller to run one loco at a time?

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:03 pm

I reckon that might cause a short circuit but I would hold out for another answer from a more experienced member.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:14 am

If you have two loops connected by a crossover, providing each controller has its own transformer and there are insulated fishplates between the frogs of the crossover you can happily drive a loco from one loop to the other by roughly matching the two controller settings. I doubt you will even notice the point at which it's taking current from both controllers.
It can be made to work without the insulated joiners if you have Hornby or Settrack points, but it's then very easy to cause a short circuit. The bit about each controller having its own transformer is the possibility of the wheels shorting out the transformer as they pass over the joint if both controllers are connected to the same transformer. Many larger DC power units have a specially wound transformer with two secondary coils to allow a second controller without needing a second transformer.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”