Hornby 2018 Range

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
D605Eagle

Re: Hornby 2018 Range

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I've bought lots of them in the past, never had an issue at all.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:02 pm

It arrived from jadlam in 2 days. I will say that this is the only item I've ever bought off them.
As mentioned before, they are too expensive.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm surprised no one has commented about the announcements that were shown yesterday.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 pm

sir hayden wrote:I'm surprised no one has commented about the announcements that were shown yesterday.

We did didn't we?. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=52510&p=643789&hilit=hornby+2018#p643789
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 pm

sir hayden wrote:I'm surprised no one has commented about the announcements that were shown yesterday.

Apart from a dining car that will appeal to a small percentage of the population plus a Southern prototype and northern prototype what was there to announce? More repaints or reissued past production tooling. Even Bachmann could hardly boast with very little new to announce. Even at discounted pricing how many are going to outlay close to 200 quid for a crane, no matter how good it is?

Personally I believe the manufacturers bite off more than they can chew and offer too much past tooling in their annual production range. The range from both main manufacturers is vast with little new product to announce.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:05 pm

For some the announcement of a pre-group loco, of a class designed, constructed and operated in Scotland is a very big deal indeed. All that has been available until now are a couple of extremely poor - because they are of very dated pre-China design - locos. This is the toe in the water from Hornby to see if the sales justify going further.

On the more general point, yes they do need to alter their business practises. Maintaining a huge range of choice 'all the time' has to go - this is already begining in fairness - and the UK will have to get accustomed to buying what is made when it is produced. That might mean that only 5 to 10% of what a manufacturer has in their tool bank actually gets used to make models in any year. Wait for the howls of pain...

The crane? If it is good, and what has been seen so far says it is very good, then I am in. (One of them was Kings Cross' allocation in my modelling period.) You should see what it costs for the parts needed to build one for yourself, before you undertake the extensive construction project. On this basis the RTR will represent a saving, for those of us who want a model of a crane.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Bigmet wrote:The crane? If it is good, and what has been seen so far says it is very good, then I am in. (One of them was Kings Cross' allocation in my modelling period.) You should see what it costs for the parts needed to build one for yourself, before you undertake the extensive construction project. On this basis the RTR will represent a saving, for those of us who want a model of a crane.

Surely that's a Bachmann model?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Yes, it's here to handle derailments...

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:04 pm

Well my first loco of the year purchased this weekend, a Terrier, is going back for exchange as its got a motor which emits a ghastly screeeching sound at anything over 1/3rd power input.Thats while I wait for Hornby to do something about the gripless 14XX I bought at Warley. Ho hum.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 pm

There is more to come from Hornby I cannot say at this moment but its a loco which has been up there on the wish lists for some time.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 pm

mattmay05 wrote:There is more to come from Hornby I cannot say at this moment but its a loco which has been up there on the wish lists for some time.

Presumably something Southern if you know about it!? Since the Adams radial has been done I'm stumped, but I'll plump for an SECR O1 just for fun. :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:47 pm

mattmay05 wrote:There is more to come from Hornby I cannot say at this moment but its a loco which has been up there on the wish lists for some time.

What are you saying? You know there's something new coming, but you're not going to say, (I wonder why and how you know........) or you know there's something more coming and as yet you don't know what it is?
I'm assuming either way that its something thats not in the new catalogue.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Cross off the Bluebell locomotives already made and then pick one of the remainder (apparently a popular one). Most likely a small loco given the quirky demand for these things.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:23 am

Well that's half the locos in classes of reasonable size that haven't had a RTR model yet!

Surprising gaps in Hornby's traction range - there are quite a few - and they do align with wishlist 'regulars'.

Any one of the three BR standard 2MT and 3MT classes as they have no small BR standards in the range.

Another pre-group design steamer that operated in the Northern half of the UK. (Hornby have nothing in modern tooling for CR and LNWR, and having anounced an NBR loco following an NER design maybe have more coming from that direction?

If it is Southern, then the SECR D 4-4-0 is a very obvious choice to go up against the LBSC atlantics from Bachmann, and would allow them to drop the troublesome T9 from the range.

Quite possible that they are doubling up in AC electrics, the 86 a natural follow on from the 87; but that feels a little soon with the 87 not yet released. (There has been persistent rumour of two companies working on an 86.)

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 pm

Bigmet wrote:[... (There has been persistent rumour of two companies working on an 86.)

Wonder where those came from ... :?

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”