Hornby tender handbrake & water scoop columns

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
bob hughes60

Hornby tender handbrake & water scoop columns

Postby bob hughes60 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm

So looking at a hornby (ex dapol) castle tender from the engine cab i.e. you have your back to the negine and facing front of tender is the waterscoop on the left and handbrake on the right??
I need to replace one from the Markits range.
Many thanks
Bob Hughes

6C

Re: Hornby tender handbrake & water scoop columns

Postby 6C » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:25 am

For the 3500 Churchward tender - which I presume will be the same - with your orientation - looking back from the engine cab - the water scoop lever is on the left - the handbrake on the right.

If you are talking about the later Hawksworth Tender that is a different kettle of fish - As I believed these were based on the Stanier LMS 4000 chassis.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Generally the fireman's principal controls are going to be the other side of the footplate from the driver's side (though I bet there are many exceptions). This because each man is then generally maintained in position for lookout, one each side of the footplate.

With GWR locos being RH drive, the tender handbrake standard on the RH side when facing toward the tender would be expected.

bob hughes60

Postby bob hughes60 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks for the suggestions, now to get a water scoop column of correct height from Markits.
Cheers
Bob Hughes

6C

Postby 6C » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

Been thinking about this and after rooting about - found this information form the Brassmaster website, on their instructions for constructing their Collett 4000 Gallon Tender - looking at tender from cab - the brake lever is to the right and the water scoop to the left of the coal space door.

This is taken from the 1931 Swindon drawing for this tender and is matched on the 3500 Gallon earlier tender.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”